Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 12-16-2019

Default Upgrade to water Manifold per leak inside coach

I have that gray polybutylene plumbing pipe throughout our coach. Since owning for 3.5 years I have had 2 water leaks. The first was under the bathroom sink. The hot water shut off valve blew apart one afternoon, with water pump on and me sitting on the coach watching a movie while wife is gone. I didn't hear anything. She comes back home and says water is running out on the ground. So that happened two years ago. What a struggle to find a HD and get what was needed to fix the leak.

Now a week ago, I found that I have another leak, it's small but needs to be fixed. It's behind the shower, so pulled out the soap holder hoping to find the leak at the valve. No, no such luck so start to dig around behind the toilet to see what I could see. Nothing. Then pull out my endoscope camera, and there is the leak. It's in the tee off of the main ¾" line on the floor and the tee that sends water up to the shower valve. So now what? I can't and wife can't reach it. So I called a midget to come over and he can't reach it. (well not really) Also, the main line that carries cold and hot water to all the faucets is wrapped with heat tape, GREAT ****.

Solution: I have always wanted to do this upgrade because of the first leak years ago.

Like the newer BB that have water distribution manifolds, I want one also. Reason is that if there is a leak in my coach '96, I have to turn all the water pressure sources off. Now I have no water. With a manifold you can shut off individual areas and still have water. Another reason to do this upgrade is that it gets rid of all the Polybutylene plumbing connections.

But to install a manifold in my coach would cause me to drill 9 holes through the floor and feed 9 lines up from the water bay (might be doable in other coaches, but not mine) because the holes would be behind the shower wall and there are one big bundle of wire and hoses to contend with. Not me.

So I installed two mini manifolds inside the coach, behind the toilet. Main water comes from the water bay and up to the manifold, then the water is distributed to all the faucets. No more Polybutylene connections and should be good to go for at least another 20+ years.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Viega-MINIBLOCs-11881000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6742.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	65559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6748.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	65560  
214-701-3419 cell. Eastern Time
Hilton Head Island SC
Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort

Last edited by speeddixon; 12-17-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Forgot picture
Old 12-16-2019

Nice!
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 12-16-2019

Nice writeup and great PEX plumbing! That must of been a big job!

Best Regards,
Dan Leftwich
Somers NY
1987 35FC
"BaBar"
Old 12-16-2019

Looks nice! And thanks for the info on the manifolds. I really want to do this in the future. Another project added to the list!

“The Cat’s Meow”
Old 12-16-2019

Why so messy with all the pipes? Kidding, looks great!
Old 12-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddixon View Post
I have that gray plumbing pipe throughout our coach. Since owning for 3.5 years I have had 2 water leaks. The first was under the bathroom sink. The hot water shut off valve blew apart one afternoon, with water pump on and me sitting on the coach watching a movie while wife is gone. I didn't hear anything. She comes back home and says water is running out on the ground. So that happened two years ago. What a struggle to find a HD and get what was needed to fix the leak.

Now a week ago, I found that I have another leak, it's small but needs to be fixed. It's behind the shower, so pulled out the soap holder hoping to find the leak at the valve. No, no such luck so start to dig around behind the toilet to see what I could see. Nothing. Then pull out my endoscope camera, and there is the leak. It's in the tee off of the main ¾" line on the floor and the tee that sends water up to the shower valve. So now what? I can't and wife can't reach it. So I called a midget to come over and he can't reach it. (well not really) Also, the main line that carries cold and hot water to all the faucets is wrapped with heat tape, GREAT ****.

Solution: I have always wanted to do this upgrade because of the first leak years ago.

Like the newer BB that have water distribution manifolds, I want one also. Reason is that if there is a leak in my coach '96, I have to turn all the water pressure sources off. Now I have no water. With a manifold you can shut off individual areas and still have water. Another reason to do this upgrade is that it gets rid of all the Polybutylene plumbing connections.

But to install a manifold in my coach would cause me to drill 9 holes through the floor and feed 9 lines up from the water bay (might be doable in other coaches, but not mine) because the holes would be behind the shower wall and there are one big bundle of wire and hoses to contend with. Not me.

So I installed two mini manifolds inside the coach, behind the toilet. Main water comes from the water bay and up to the manifold, then the water is distributed to all the faucets. No more Polybutylene connections and should be good to go for at least another 20+ years.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Viega-MINIBLOCs-11881000
Nicely done Sean Looks awesome
1999 Blue Bird 43LXi
Body # F123448
Chassis # 84788
Old 12-16-2019
Forum owner

Nice work my friend!

Sean and i talked this mod over for a little while and he decided to put the manoblock inside the coach,i like his idea!
Very nice!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-16-2019
Black Sheep Division

Looks Good!

TOM
Old 12-17-2019

Sean
Very nicely done. I have to do this as well. I have only had one small leak on the outside tap in the waterbay, but with the polybutylene plumbing it is only a matter of time.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 12-17-2019
Forum owner

The 97 WB and newer LXI and LC had the manoblok in the bays,Seans did not have a manoblok but it only made sense to add one when he replumbed the coach.
Adding it inside the coach saved drilling lots of holes in the floor,and its freeze protected.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com