Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 12-18-2019
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIronBDog View Post
The storage facility is not temp controlled, and we do of course drop below freezing at night and on occasion during the day.
The freeze temp of a fully charged lead acid battery is below minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
if you want to store without charger:

Insure all batteries are fully charged, Then locate and disconnect the ground wires on both banks, (and the generator battery if you have a separate one). check for 'no voltage' between coach ground and any (all) positive battery leads.

I have a disconnect switch on my battery bank and generator battery. I just turn off the disconnect switch(s) when I park it at the storage facility. I have no power there.

Here are Blue Sea switch options

https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat...ttery_Switches
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
The freeze temp of a fully charged lead acid battery is below minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
if you want to store without charger:

Insure all batteries are fully charged, Then locate and disconnect the ground wires on both banks, (and the generator battery if you have a separate one). check for 'no voltage' between coach ground and any (all) positive battery leads.
The problem with that is if he has one battery that's less healthy than the others it will discharge the others in parallel with it. He could just charge them all up and disconnect all the ground wires on all the batteries to be 100% sure.
Old 12-18-2019
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
The problem with that is if he has one battery that's less healthy than the others it will discharge the others in parallel with it. He could just charge them all up and disconnect all the ground wires on all the batteries to be 100% sure.
Yup, you are correct.

One last comment, Wear safety glasses when working on the batteries, they can blow up. Internal shorts or just vented gas and a spark can set it off. A spark is easy to make when removing cables. Not kidding, there is probably nowhere to run to to flush your eyes either.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-18-2019

Can concur about exploding batteries. I was inside when one of the 8D batteries in my coach went off like a gun shot. Took the top off and sprayed acid all over. As others have suggested, disconnect the batteries and charge them up. You can put a maintainer on them. I suggest one for each since (like Andy said) one bad one can kill the whole bank. I had 4 8D bus deep cycle batteries. I don’t know how many you have but hopefully no more than 4? Maintainers would work okay on an extension cord. Look at the WOG about winterizing. No need to break pipes over its winter storage. It takes some work, but it’s not super hard. Even the RV shops miss things and when I had to do it (before I moved to warmer climes) I did it myself.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 12-18-2019

I use a maintainer that will handle 4 batteries. Has cables for each battery. Works great. A fully charged battery left in the cold will die if left unattended, Even at 20 below. I use water Miser caps and leave the batteries connected to the maintainer. Although I have stored RV's in the great white north our Bird resides in Mexico and the heat is worse than the cold on batteries.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 12-18-2019

She is winterized, just trying to figure out what to do with the batteries.
Old 12-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIronBDog View Post
She is winterized, just trying to figure out what to do with the batteries.
Since you don't say, I assume your coach has the original independent charger and a separate inverter. If so, and you only have a 110v outlet that I assume is 20 amps. I have taken and unplugged the charger from its duplex outlet in the charger/inverter cabinet, then run an extension cord from the source 110v outlet to the charger plug. This will not solve power outage issues, but I would assume that would be only for limited times and shouldn't cause any issues. If the power is out for extended period of time then I would go and start the generator and let it run until power is restored. If you have a generator auto start you wouldn't even have to go to the bus to do it.

In order for us to provide you with accurate information you should update your signature with the proper info and detail exactly what your charging cabinet looks like and what kind of equipment you have. Pics are always good.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 12-18-2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
what coach year/model do you have?

I have a PT with one battery bank. I charge them up and disconnect them for long term storage.
If the batteries are charged and good they will keep just fine. Leaving the batteries connected will allow parasitic loads to discharge them if the 110 power running the charger fails.
Getting help is easier if your model /year is listed in your signature.
Old 12-18-2019

When I have 110 V only available, I use the 30 A cord and "reduce" it to 110 V plug. Powers both legs, runs charger, lights, tv.
Is this model set up different?