Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-20-2019

The Great White North is Manitoba Canada. When I started out in business I did not have any heated ground level warehouses. Trucks sat outside. When it was time for an oil change I would start up the truck for about 15 minutes. Shut it off and put cardboard against the sides. Crawl under and change oil. It was warm considering it was minus 30 outside. One winter I had to go to Minneapolis to pick up a new race car engine. I drove a 57 Ranchero. Std. Trans. It was so cold that when you went to shift as soon as you hit the clutch pedal the vehicle would slow down. It was 40 below in Winnipeg and minus 35 in Fargo,ND.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 12-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
The Great White North is Manitoba Canada. When I started out in business I did not have any heated ground level warehouses. Trucks sat outside. When it was time for an oil change I would start up the truck for about 15 minutes. Shut it off and put cardboard against the sides. Crawl under and change oil. It was warm considering it was minus 30 outside. One winter I had to go to Minneapolis to pick up a new race car engine. I drove a 57 Ranchero. Std. Trans. It was so cold that when you went to shift as soon as you hit the clutch pedal the vehicle would slow down. It was 40 below in Winnipeg and minus 35 in Fargo,ND.
Yes there are worse places, weather-wise, than here. It was 40 today, a heat wave. It will be higher tomorrow, but then the ground thaws out and it turns to mud during the day. The dogs sure love it.
Old 12-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Now what fluid to run? I like the idea of running motor oil so if the pump seal blows it doesn't fill the crankcase with ATF or hydraulic oil, but the specs seem to change over time. I honestly don't know if it really matters that much. It needs to flow when it's cold though.
I run 10/30 oil in mine.
VB 1570
Old 12-20-2019

I live in South Florida. everything north of the Mason Dixon line is the Great white North.
I do remember Bob and Doug. Now like I said, I grew up in the NE. I had friends from Buffalo NY and they said it was the worse place in the winter. It's all relative, to Florida lol.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 12-20-2019

Yeah I'm thinking 10-30 would be fine. Nothing exotic or expensive would be nice and I don't think the system really cares too much.
Old 12-20-2019
Black Sheep Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Now what fluid to run? I like the idea of running motor oil so if the pump seal blows it doesn't fill the crankcase with ATF or hydraulic oil, but the specs seem to change over time. I honestly don't know if it really matters that much. It needs to flow when it's cold though.

Why not run synthetic? Amsoil makes a 15-40 Marine Diesel oil that would work nicely. I ran it in a hot-rodded 8V92 back in the '80. It did a fine job.

TOM
Old 12-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
Why not run synthetic? Amsoil makes a 15-40 Marine Diesel oil that would work nicely. I ran it in a hot-rodded 8V92 back in the '80. It did a fine job.

TOM
I did a little research on that, and it seems like the hydraulic systems just don't seem to care? Also some synthetic fluid eats some hydraulic hoses apparently? Still working on this one.
Old 12-21-2019

most of the fan pwm proportion valves are the opposite in pwm to speed.

no voltage is wide open. they fail on.

**a pulse of 12v @ 25%pwm will look like 3v output but is really 12v pulses 25% of the time with a 75% off. and will slow the fan to 75% speed. (step down voltage to 3v wont do anything)

**a pulse of 12v @75%pwm will look like 9volts but is a pulse of 75% on and 25% time off. this will slow the fan to 25% speed.
** a pulse of 100% will show 12v and close the valve and turn the fan off
most Proportional control valve have some built in bypas so you need to correct the speeds for the bypass. ie at 100%pwm the valve stays open 20% so the fan never shuts down at full, this will effect the speed at 50%pwm
**built into the controllers is also a 'ramp speed up' and ramp speed down.
some multi meters have a %voltage that will give you an idea of the pw.
also important to learn is the frequency or hertz of the pulse on-off instances per unit of measure.
Old 12-21-2019

Actually they are more like 10% to 90% duty cycle. 100% DC is a shorted wire, 0% DC is a disconnected wire, for example. The frequency doesn't matter as long as it's in the supported range, which is like 40-100hz or something along those lines. I'm using 50hz.

I'd like to get a hold of the old programming software from Danfoss and build the infrared interface, but the software is proving elusive.
Old 12-22-2019

Point is the avaliable hot rod and retrofit modules for pwm fan control are set up to send greater on % for faster turn of electric fans wher hydraulicfan proportional valves are what you are trying to drive and not the fan . The electric pwm fan modules are done and have matched temp senders with given resistance schedules. I built a interface to turn 25% on to 75%on and 40% on to 60% but it was just as prudent and arduous to build and maintain one module. I was able to run the fan with a geek electronics toy called Arduino. I bought a commercial module and software $1,200 for the final build.