Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 12-31-2019

Default Seat switch ground

So, here’s another question. I was function testing my damaged six way seat switches. I noticed that the center pin of the two way switch was connected to ground. The seats themselves ground directly to the chassis and have no direct connection whatsoever to the switch ground, (except at some point through the chassis). Does anyone know why the switch is grounded at the center pin, and what, if anything, that ground accomplishes?
Old 01-01-2020

I believe those were early 80s Chrysler switches. At least that was what I replaced one on one of my earlier coaches.
Does the switch work?
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 01-01-2020

I have one that works even though one of the paddles is loose or broken on one side of the mechanism. The other switch has both paddles broken enough to be very crooked and loose in their mounting and does not work. I will need to disassemble and attempt a repair. I have not found a direct replacement yet. Still don’t understand why a ground was run to one of the switch pins as it doesn’t appear to do anything.
Old 01-02-2020
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Erin View Post
I have one that works even though one of the paddles is loose or broken on one side of the mechanism. The other switch has both paddles broken enough to be very crooked and loose in their mounting and does not work. I will need to disassemble and attempt a repair. I have not found a direct replacement yet. Still don’t understand why a ground was run to one of the switch pins as it doesn’t appear to do anything.
Not sure but this link may possibly help with a part number:

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=23161

As for why there's a ground wire on the switch, it seems logical that in order to run a seat motor forward and backward, that the hot and ground would simultaneously need to be reversed by the switch.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 01-02-2020

Hmmm, never thought of it that way. The seats both had ground wires to the chassis, I assumed it was 3 pairs of hots that grounded through that wire, not pairs that alternated hot and ground. I’ll test tomorrow and see if the switch operates like that. Thanks. Also, I had seen the thread with the p/n on it. It is also on the switch. Hard part is finding one. Although it looks like flexsteel has new ones available although they are plastic. I’m hoping to tease the really broken one apart and see if I can effect repairs.

Update: Aaaand yes, alternating hot/ground does appear to be the way the switch works. I’ll see if I can test the seat motors to verify tomorrow.

Last edited by Tom and Erin; 01-02-2020 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-02-2020

I had a problem with my seat switch; the bezel broke and left the switch mechanism hanging loose. Some applied Google-foo (image search) revealed that the original application of the switch was in 1960's vintage GM automobiles.

I was able to source a replacement switch from Coach Supply Direct that should be a drop in replacement. Can't order direct off the web, but their phone is 800-589-7251.
There's a picture of the switch on their main web page; they'll know what you want when you call.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 01-02-2020

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I saw that page too. If I can’t fix mine I may have to go that route, too bad it’s plastic. At least on the co-pilot seat it’s not too visible.