Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 01-05-2020

The hubby is a NY driver. We only drive at those speeds when its possible and are usually keeping up with a certain traffic pattern. He is not unsafe. I am very picky on who I will let drive me at higher speeds and he is by far the best I have been in the car with. Very smooth and non threatening. He is not a speed demon, just a great driver. I also enjoy driving higher than normal, but I do not cruise at his speeds typically. Our fleet is getting slower. The Camaro only has a 3 speed tranny, so it's only good to about 85. The 4Runner is only good to about 70 due to the tires and the 3.0L. The BMW 635 is not running, needs a starter. The other Camaro is not running, needs a ton of work. The bus is only good for about 62mph. My Sportster is only good for about 77 and thats fast enough for me. So my V-6 Rav is really the only highway car we have left capable of higher speeds with ease. She is due for new tires and some paint so she sits.

As far as us "intentionally" running into someone, no. I said if someone pulls out in front of our bus while we are stopping...in our safe stopping space, we will not veer into an innocent persons lane or crash our bus to avoid them. We will continue to do what we can to stop safely, IF that now impacts their car, then that is on them. It would be the same if they pulled out in front of a stopping cement mixer. They put themselves in harms way. The mighty horn works wonders in this respect....so far.

Lee County, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 01-05-2020

Well Dana,
I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree. I don't believe anyone is a safe driver on a public road at 90-100 miles an hour. There are way too many unforeseen things that are not under our control. A blown tire, a seized wheel bearing, rear end gears that blow apart, debris in the roadway, another driver that foolishly does the unexpected, ( there are way too many of those on the roads ) any of these can and do put even the most competent driver out of control.
We owned a towing company for many years, I have a CDL, and have attended far too many serious crashes, some fatal, to believe otherwise. I hope to never see another in my lifetime.
I absolutely wish you and you family safe and happy travels wherever you may go.
Fred
Old 01-05-2020

Agreed. My goal was not to make this thread about MY driving habits, but using our habits to illustrate reasons to keep the slower FC's off the interstates, as we choose to do. We are not unusual, I just may be a bit more honest than most about our driving habits. :roll eyes:
I agree with BadAndy in that they/we are not exactly safe on major interstates because they/we are considerably slower than general traffic. Sometimes it is necessary to be on such roads and care should be exercised when doing so.
I mentioned the stopping issue because this is a problem we face when taking back roads instead of interstates. With every avenue of travel , there are risks. We wish to arrive just as safely as everyone else. Peace.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 01-05-2020

4.11 rear gear, FC w/3208T can run with the traffic, just saying.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-05-2020

I am also in the 63-65 mph camp.

Most of my driving is in Texas where highways speed limits can be as high as 85, so I would definitely be a slow poke. When I am on the interstate, I do try to keep up with the right lane big rigs so as to not be a giant hazard, but I try to minimize my interstate travel. I specifically look for alternate roads that go though places that look or sound interesting as I bought the bus to enjoy the travel as much as the destination.

Diego
Old 01-05-2020

I saw the video. My wife and at least one of my kids would have been killed on impact. Love my Wanderlodge for so many reasons. Never considered the safety factor to be high on the list. Now it is.
In my current search for a new business(long story) i applied for a CDL in California. I studied the hand book for a month at night after work. I took the test and passed. I now had a Commercial Learners permit. Due to the rising cost of insurance for an independent truck driver and the smog regulations in CA I decided not to take the driving test and complete the license application. But the knowledge gained in getting the permit has really helped me be a safer and better driver in my Wanderlodge and my car.

You can get the handbook free at the DMV and take a practice tests online for free.

Still can’t believe they let you drive 47k lbs down the road with no special license.

Unfortunately most of our Birds would probably not pass the standard Air Brake test required during the walk through.

Erwin
“LUCKY 27”
Old 01-05-2020

I specifically sought out a Wanderlodge because of the safety record.

I had my concerns validated when I was searching for a backup light that I couldn't find new. Apparently the same light was used in some Winnebagos, so I found some RV salvage yards online. The pictures were shocking. I have no idea how anyone could have survived inside of those vehicles. It was literally kindling on wheels.

Nothing like well built metal boxes with lots of mass.

Diego
Old 01-06-2020

Enjoy the interstates in your FC. I did not want to get involved in this, gets my blood pressure up. If I set my cruise at 65 mph even with a 80 mph limit i.e. Wyoming, I save fuel and tires and get my load safely delivered. If it bothers you - oh well pass me. We meet again and again over the next 500 miles. Never think you are finished learning, even after 20 years CDL trucking and over 1 Million safe miles. I never take anything for granted, overconfidence kills. Never let someone else push you, keep a safe following distance. Please observe the speed limit. It is the law and 30 years ago a State Trooper looked in my eyes and told me " for your and our safety please drive slowly" . Share the road. I have seen my share of horrific accidents. No matter who is at fault, everyone looses.
Just my 2 cents. Doris

1999 BB custom 33' 8.3 Cummins
2002 Toyhauler 7.3 diesel
Old 01-06-2020

Our FC is good for about 63mph...after a decent distance to achieve such speed. If he gets behind a semi, who is blocking the wind, he can get a bit more out of it, but the faster the bus goes, the more wiggly the steering is. I don't drive it about 55 due to this fact. (yes BadAndy, I already know...adjust the camber ...we've been over this and you know why he hasn't done this.)

I am jealous of anyone that can go faster with ease.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 01-06-2020

I live in one of two Jurisdictions in North America that heavy trucks are forced to use speed limiters my heavy truck is limited to 105 kilometres per hour and because I drive in the states I get to have electronic logs.
Not Bitchin the 2 make me money. Money is good

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact