Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 01-10-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Erin View Post
Thanks for the details. I am planning on looking at the planar in a couple weeks at the Seattle boat show, the BC Canada dealer is supposed to have a booth there. I know they are well received by the boating community and the BC dealer is reported to have good customer service. I’ve seen the Chicom dbw2010 knockoff for as low as $230, even replacing sensors, seems hard to pass up. I guess I’ll wait and see. BTW, are you planning on leaving the original coolant pump, jabsco I think, in the engine circuit, or is there enough flow from the engine alone to supply the engine side of the heat exchanger?
I replaced both of the original Jabscos with intercooler pumps from a BMW. In my testing I learned that you need the pumps to circulate when the engine thermostats are closed, but the rest of the time the engine's water pump is plenty without the boosters. I'm adding another pump for this heater setup just so I can control which "zone" gets the heat. No sense in heating the engine while parked somewhere for a few days in the cold.

I know a lot of people are using the knockoff air heaters in their van builds and stuff. There are a couple of teardown videos and they look decent. The BC guys apparently took the Planar name and they are who I ordered my fuel pump from. Ordered Saturday, had it Tuesday.

If you want the Chicom heater I have here I'll sell it cheap!
Old 01-10-2020

What are you thinking on the Chicom heater? Also, my apologies in advance for peppering you with questions, do you by any chance have a part # or car model the pumps are from. Pump specs? The marine heater pumps are $$$.
Old 01-10-2020

Questions are good, it's no problem. The pumps are known as a Pierburg CWA50. These were used in a bunch of different cars, but the BMW is common. Ford, Mercedes, etc all used it. It can be operated in a variable speed way or just straight up wide open, which is how mine are wired right now. In addition to the pump you need the connector and terminals, which are another $10 or so. There are a million of these on ebay, and you can get them for $50-75 even though most are listed for twice that. I got mine for about that, best offer style. I have the flow chart for them around here somewhere.

On the Chinese heater, I think I only have like $150 into it now since they refunded me about half of the purchase price, so ?
Old 01-10-2020

Would you mind terribly, at your convenience, to give me a call?

Tom
206-200-5488
Old 01-10-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Erin View Post
Would you mind terribly, at your convenience, to give me a call?

Tom
206-200-5488
I just left you a VM. I should really lay out the whole pump thing because they are really great pumps, silent, and long-lasting.
Old 01-15-2020

So many projects, so little time. Since I had all the hydraulic stuff out I decided to do the air compressor, too. It's easy to get to, but I am going to have to be creative about getting it out of there. Retail on this Haldex reman was $224, got a 15% coupon, and free shipping. Plus a big core charge!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bendix compressor.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	65847  
Old 01-15-2020

I got the circuit board for the "engine monitor" laid out. This is a doodad that takes sensor inputs for things I don't have already and puts them onto the CAN bus I've installed. I'll have a 10" Android tablet set up to view them as an overlay over Google maps, or Copilot, maybe rearview camera. It will be mounted to a stand on the dash somewhere convenient. I thought about using the original engine alarm light and buzzer for warnings since it's kinda intermittent. All data will be logged in the same way as everything else, too.

New sensors:

Air filter vacuum/restriction
Fuel vacuum/restriction
Boost
EGT pyro
Trans oil temp
Eng oil temp
Hydraulic oil temp
Fuel pressure

Might add oil pressure and water temp if I end up connecting it to the alarm.
Old 01-15-2020

No HUD (heads up display) on the windshield?
Too cool, man, what you are doing.
Did you ever strap the massive generator / charger from the EV on the cam pulley?

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 01-15-2020

Doug - no I still haven't done that yet. Too many projects in the air now, I have to finish what I've got going now. I toyed with the hud idea, but didn't find a display I really liked. I might have to look again. It would be really neat to do. You have to use something like and LED or other non-backlit display. Then some kind of lens that I would likely not be able to find.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Not much time lately, but I managed to cut open the coolant filter I installed last winter. It works! It collected a lot of muddy stuff and some rusty bits. I'm happy with that.

Also, just since we were talking about diesel heaters and stuff - the first confirmed case of nCov in Germany was at a Webasto meeting with a Chinese supplier. It doesn't mean anything, it's just interesting.