Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Parts Wanted

Parts Wanted Need a certain part for your coach? Post it here to see if someone has what you need or knows where you can find it.

Site Search:

Old 01-12-2013

Default tool box slide

I am looking for a slide out so I can put my tool box on it. I have a sp36 and am looking to put it in the front cargo hold right behind the driver seat. This area is aprox 25" deep max. If you have a slide or can point me in a direction let me know. Thank you
Old 01-12-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

What weight and travel are you designing for? I picked up some cheap ones at Home Depot that work pretty well for my smaller tool box.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwtw View Post
I am looking for a slide out so I can put my tool box on it. I have a sp36 and am looking to put it in the front cargo hold right behind the driver seat. This area is aprox 25" deep max. If you have a slide or can point me in a direction let me know. Thank you
FWIW. In an emergency...and in need of getting to the tools...while parked along the highway...the roadside slide out is going to be an issue. Just thinking...

1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" FOR SALE
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 01-13-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Here is what I used Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips >Toolbox slide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I finally got my new tool box and the pair of slides that I purchased from McMaster-Carr installed today, here is a photo of the installation.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/101431061

The slides that I used are not as long in the fully extended position, so this only allows the lid to open up about 90% of the way, so I will make a simple support to hold it open as far as it will go, to access the tools under it, thanks again for the idea, this will be a great addition to my 'Bird.

Here are the parts that I used;

Tool Box purchased at Lowes Home Improvement, included a lower tool chest that I'm using in my shop, the pair were $99.95

A pair of Accuride Full-Extension drawer Slides W/O release 20" L, 20" L travel, 244 lb/Pr Load Rating, part #1277A83 purchased from McMaster-Carr $54.46 Plus tax and shipping. www.mcmaster.com

2"X2" Angle Iron I had here in the shop along with nuts, bolts and washers.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-13-2013

I agree with Curt. I didn't want the tool box stuck out on the traffic side at all. Installed my tool box in the right rear compartment with slides from Orr and Orr.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 01-13-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Also agree.

My tool box is on the curb rear compartment. You typically need your tools when you have an issue or breakdown. So when you're pulled over on the side of the road the the street side is not an ideal place to be.

The Curb side is good for things like that. Use the street side for things you'd need once parked. That way you don't disturb people under the awning in chairs, relaxing, etc...

There's more to this RV stuff than meets the eye.. You should see all the thought you have to put into plumbing when talking curb vs street.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 01-13-2013

Heres another option I didn't have a free compartment where a sliding toolbox would fit so bought one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...-_-1206-_-CONF and installed in the narrow compartment in front of my back wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121128_111558 (Medium).jpg
Views:	244
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	19749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121128_111628 (Medium).jpg
Views:	245
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	19750  
2004 Z71
2013 RZR 570LE
Old 01-13-2013

thanks guys. I never thought about the tool box being in traffic. I will have to reevaluate where to put the box
Old 01-14-2013
Former Bird Owner

My coach came with an OEM tool box slide. (I think there was an OEM tool box, but it was long gone by the time I bought the coach.)

The OEM unit was built of simple angle iron, welded together. It held a "top" section of a standard Craftsman (or similar) tool cabinet.

Name:	P1050744.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	19782

Name:	P1050745.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	19783

The frame held the tool box in the forward rectangle, and had a smaller, second rectangle behind the tool box. In the OEM configuration, an electric BBQ had been above the tool box. The BBQ was long gone (though a pull-out tray remained behind).

I made the following modifications:

1. I removed the BBQ tray/slide. It was configured in a way that was of little use to me.

2. I moved the (gray-colored) shelf up a few inches so that a taller tool box would fit. I had to cut a slot in the right hand side to allow clearance for the door's pneumatic arm.

3. I installed a narrow shelf behind the tool box, selecting a size that would comfortably fit.

4. I built a wooden box for the rectangle behind the too box.

So, when the tool box was in place, I also had additional storage for various filters, oil, anti-freeze, and miscellaneous other bits and pieces. The 'behind the tool box' box was perfect for storing things that did not require frequent easy access. The tool box itself allowed me to carry a wide variety of tools, allowing me to perform minor repairs on the coach and toad. On the upper shelf, I carried a small tool box with electrical tools, that I could easily grab and move to a location where I was trouble-shooting an electrical problem.

(This compartment was on the curb side, so I would not be exposed to traffic, if I needed tools while parked along the side of a road.)

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 01-15-2013
Consistently clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteaeonix View Post
My coach came with an OEM tool box slide. (I think there was an OEM tool box, but it was long gone by the time I bought the coach.)

The OEM unit was built of simple angle iron, welded together. It held a "top" section of a standard Craftsman (or similar) tool cabinet.
Same slide as mine, Pete. I didn't know if it was OEM or not, but my PO told me the coach came with an OEM Snap-on toolbox that he was keeping. I found another that is a close fit and still use the slide.

1990 WB-40 Royal Conversion
GS 810327023 -- FMCA 421581 -- SKP 109591

"[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]"
Walt Kelly, 08/25/1913 - 10/18/1973