Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 10-24-2014

Default electrical issue of some sort, help us figure it out?

We are parked in a state fair campground with 30 amp outlet. We have been here two days without issue.

This morning we were running our space heater. Suddenly the power went out. I turned off the heater and went outside and saw that lights were around elsewhere. I flipped the breaker switch at the box back and forth anyway. I went back in and saw on the dials above the entry door that we had AC power. It then went off again in a few seconds.

I looked at the inverter panel and "overload" on the lower panel was flashing. I flipped the inverter off and then on again and it stopped flashing.

We waited awhile in case something had overheated.

An hour later we plugged into power. The dials show AC at about 130 volts. It shows on Leg One amps of about 20. I had nothing running at all. I even turned the breaker off on the water heater. Leg two shows no amps. The inverter shows a light for AC on the top panel no AC light on the bottom panel.

We ran the microwave, the amps dropped, but the power went off again. The exterior circuit breaker flipped.

We moved to another site. Plugged in and the dials show AC at about 130 volts. Leg One still shows amps of about 20 with no load on it to speak of. Water heater off, everything off. Inverter shows AC only on the top panel and not on the bottom panel.

What should we do? What can we do if we can't find anyone to help until next week. We are not near an RV repair place.
Old 10-24-2014
Campground Owner

Flip off circuit breakers inside the bus, until you find the load. Might be some freeze heaters.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 10-24-2014

Martha, I am far from an expert on my coach and do not know yours at all, so if someone chimes in that is please listen to them. I can ask a few questions that may help.
I assume 50 amp is not available correct? Can you shut off the inverter and operate what you need? You say space heater is this something that is not part of the coach? If not do the coach heaters work? Do you have a voltmeter? Are the batteries charging?

You said you had no problems for two days does that mean the microwave worked? If so was it working off the inverter or shore PWR? A lot of questions what one needs to do is isolate the problem you do that by taking things out of the process, such as shutting off the inverter and see what works, hope it helps. Good luck
Old 10-24-2014

Is the inverter also a battery charger?

Chris Blegen
La Crosse, WI
1989 SP36 Silver Edition
Old 10-24-2014

1. How are you hooked up, the BB dedicated 30amp cable or an adapter plug 30 to50 on your 50amp cable?
2. Are you using the BB toe heaters, or a portable heater?
3. If portable, where is it plugged in?
4. Have you turned the inverters off on the panels and the chargers off on the main breaker panel?
These are LXi questions, somebody with a 96 may have better info.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 10-24-2014

Never found the load, even with breakers off.

We talked to an RV repair guy in the town we are headed to next, and he thinks one of the inverters went bad. So, we turned off that inverter, plugged to shore power and there is no more mystery load. Until we replace the inverter (or fix it) we can't run whatever runs off that inverter. So, we will sit here until Monday and then head to the next town and the repair guy is going to look at it.
Old 10-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norskelodger View Post
Is the inverter also a battery charger?
Yes.
Old 10-24-2014
Gardner

20 amps is not an unreasonable load for a battery charger in the early stage of charging. My Xantrex always starts out at a high charge rate and adjusts down after a while based on the current charge state of the batteries. On my Xantrex inverter/charger I need to set the input limit to 15 amps when on 30 amp service. Do you have that capability on your inverter/charger?
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
20 amps is not an unreasonable load for a battery charger in the early stage of charging. My Xantrex always starts out at a high charge rate and adjusts down after a while based on the current charge state of the batteries. On my Xantrex inverter/charger I need to set the input limit to 15 amps when on 30 amp service. Do you have that capability on your inverter/charger?
Isn't it odd though that the batteries would be drawing that much to charge after being plugged in for two days?

I'll see if there is anything that can limit the input limit to 15 amps. There isn't anything obvious.
Old 10-24-2014

Where are you at, Martha? You mentioned a state fair campground, with a specifc location you might find a wogger close by who can help.

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720