Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-11-2017

Default 1989 WB 40 suspension part numbers needed

I am looking for the tie rod ends, tie rod tube and the drag link part numbers for my 89 WB40. I tried a search for them and found the tie rid ends for an 88 but I am not sure if they are the same as a WB.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 03-13-2017

I think I have all of the number that I was looking for.
Crosstube and clamp assembly A-3102-U-4312
Left Tie rod end A-3144-E-525
Right Tie rod end A-3144-P-524
Drag rod tube 1340553
Tie rod front 300383
Tie rod rear 300391

The first 3 sets of numbers look like Rockwell which I think is now part of Meritor. The drag tube and its tie rod ends look like they are bluebird numbers. Does anyone know of a vendor that carries these parts. I am not having much luck on the drag rod tube or the Rockwell parts.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 03-13-2017

I was able to get the tie rod ends and pitman rod ends at Fleet Pride. Unless you have bent the tie rod and pitman rod there is no real reason to replace them. They don't wear out and the new ones will be of lesser quality than the original I would bet.

On our SP all four of the Rod Ends were the same other than the placement of the grease zerk.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-13-2017

Rick, not suggesting that your wrong but that surprises me. Most times one rod end is left hand thread so you can adjust tow in by spinning the rod.
Birdless for now.
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 03-13-2017

[QUOTE=rshrimp;371583]Rick, not suggesting that your wrong but that surprises me. Most times one rod end is left hand thread so you can adjust tow in by spinning the rod.[/QUOTE

Of course your right Randy. What I meant to say was the Pitman Rod and the Tie Rod use the same Rod Ends. One left and one right hand thread on each.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-13-2017

I just went through the same searching mess trying to find these joints. Mine's a '91WB, but I think it's the same as yours. Here's a few things that may help.

TIE:
A3144E525/A3144P524 are the L/R ends and cross to:
R230068/R230069 (Meritor)
140TR109/140TR110 (Spicer)
ES423L/ES423R (Moog)

DRAG:
A3144K297/A3144J296
R230071/R230070 (Meritor)
220TR117/220TR116 (Spicer)
ES431L/ES431R (moog)

If you go to:
http://www.meritorpartsonline.com
and search for the above meritor numbers, there's a nice spec sheet that shows all the dimensions. I compared these to what I measured on the bus for diameters, thread pitch, taper, stud, etc. and then compared with the Moog dimensions. (Tie and drag are very similar dimensions, but the drag links are 1.25" instead of 1.125".)

If you go to http://www.rockauto.com
and search for the Moog numbers, then click on the 'info' button, it shows a list of cross reference numbers, which should line up with all the numbers above (and what you have).

I bought the Moog ones. At rock auto, they were $30 and $60 each for tie/drag. I haven't installed them yet, so can't promise on the numbers and all the fitment. Hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I was able to get the tie rod ends and pitman rod ends at Fleet Pride. Unless you have bent the tie rod and pitman rod there is no real reason to replace them. They don't wear out and the new ones will be of lesser quality than the original I would bet.

On our SP all four of the Rod Ends were the same other than the placement of the grease zerk.
Rick, The shop that is going to do the work said the drag link was the first priority and the tie rod ends should be replaced. Are you calling the drag link the pitman arm? If so, should I just get the pitman rod ends for the arm. Then I would also need the tie rod ends and the tube. He is wanting to replace the tube because he is concerned the tie rod ends won't thread out without tearing the tube up.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 03-13-2017

Ask them. I've seen lots of confusing names for the links. I'd say the one between the wheels would be called a tie rod, center link, or cross tube. The one from the steering box to the left side knuckle would be the drag link.

FWIW, my 'drag link ends' (from the steering box and pitman arm) are the ones with the most slop. Likely the same on yours. Then the left hand (road side) tierod end has a little slop, and the right/curb side is pretty tight. This makes sense to me as the turning and forces from EITHER wheel are translated into the drag link and steering box. And the right side tie rod end forces are translated back through the left side tie rod end and then through the drag link ends. However forces on the left side tie rod end really don't transfer over to the right side tie rod end. (For example when turning right; the left side tire does most of the work.)
Old 03-13-2017

Ok Mose. Thanks. I will talk to them tomorrow.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 03-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post

OK. I have managed to get the rod ends thru Ryder at a great price but I can not find the tie rod or pitman arm anywhere. The shop is only wanting to replace them out of fear that they will not be able to get the rod ends out with out damaging the threads in the process. How real of an issue is this. I can't have the coach laid up in the shop trying to locate another arm because we live in it.
"Chief's Pride Too"