Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-16-2017

Default LG Ventless Washer/Dryer

I am a new owner and am considering installing a washer/dryer in my 1990 WB40. I see that Splendide is the washer/dryer of choice. I also know that LG makes a ventless washer/dryer combo (model #WM3488HS). Does anyone have any experience with these in coaches or have an idea of how well they might work?

Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I am a new owner and am considering installing a washer/dryer in my 1990 WB40. I see that Splendide is the washer/dryer of choice. I also know that LG makes a ventless washer/dryer combo (model #WM3488HS). Does anyone have any experience with these in coaches or have an idea of how well they might work?

Thanks!!
I don't know anything about the LG but i do know that very few like the ventless Splendide. The reason being is that it doesn't dry as well and it takes a lot longer. I believe vented ones of either brand would most likely make you much happier. We have the latest model of the vented Splendide and the wife likes it much better than the older model, that came with the coach.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 03-16-2017

From what I've seen, heard, & tried they are a disappointment. IMHO
I would let that decision up to the wife - - - - after a real time demo
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 03-16-2017

We love our vented splendide!
Austintown,Ohio
Old 03-16-2017

Ventless???? Where is all of the humidity from the drying clothes going? Sounds like a mold factory to me!

I would never use a dryer that is not vented to the exterior of the bus- both for mold and also allergy reasons.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 03-16-2017

We've had a Quietline (brand) WD9900 combo front loading washer/dryer for RV/Marine use for several years now.

In our opinion, it is not a bad unit. It washes a small load - about the equivalent of a kitchen dishpan in volume. It goes through the wash cycle and then the dry cycle in a single operation.

There is no vent to the exterior. The moisture is removed by use of a heat exchanger... the heat sink is an internal exchanger similar to a heater core on an automobile. The exchanger is cooled by tap water that is plumbed to the machine. The "steam" condenses into liquid which is "sneezed" out via a drain hose.

We plumb ours to the kitchen or bathroom sink with a coupling that is like the ones used on a portable dishwasher. The kitchen faucet adds cold water as needed. The drain at the coupling is the drain.

The machine uses some volume of water. Probably not ideal for dry camping.

The machine gets lots of online complaints, but it seems to me that the complainers maybe have not digested the user manual instructions.

It works fine for us.

I like the conventional washer and dryer in our house better.

The ventless combo unit is what keeps us out of laundromats. We are squeamish about laundromats.

We have not used the ventless system in the Bird, but it would fit in the closet to be wheeled (ours is on casters and can be set up for permanent installation) to the kitchen or bathroom on laundry day. We'd only have to make the 10' hose go from the washer to the sink.

It serves best when we are away from home and parked in a monthly space for a temporary job assignment.

We like the unit, but are willing to accept the system's limitations.

There is nothing happening that would increase the room humidity or risk of mold.

Small loads get clean and fresh. The dryer completes and digs the bell. We remove the clothes right away. They seem damp for a minute or two, but they seem to be bone dry by the time you fold them or hang them.

We leased an apt. for a year once. This portable washer/dryer worked just fine in the apt.

My wife wouldn't sell ours for a thousand bucks. I think they retailed for around $1800 but I phoned a retailer several states away who sold me a scratch and dent model for $800. When it arrived there were no dents or scratches.

Unless I was full timing, I wouldn't bother with one. I'd just pack more clean socks and underwear.
Old 03-16-2017
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Ventless???? Where is all of the humidity from the drying clothes going? Sounds like a mold factory to me!

I would never use a dryer that is not vented to the exterior of the bus- both for mold and also allergy reasons.

Not to worry Shane,nobody uses them more than once! (the ventless type)

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post

I read up on them when we were looking at replacing ours a couple of years ago. Apparently they have figured out a way for the moisture to go out the normal water drain. Not sure how much more moisture goes out into the air and create problems like mold or whatever, especially in a fairly tight air environment, like a Bird, when it is closed up in the winter or colder weather. Because of that and because they don't dry worth a c**p we stuck with the vented one, like the one we had.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 03-16-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

The way I understand it, they are using cool water to help condense the moisture out of the air. Not sure how much water is being used. But there is a system where a dehumidifier, instead of a heating element, is used to extract the moisture from very energy efficient home dryers.
It may be possible that is the system used in the new Splendide.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 03-16-2017
Forum owner

it takes more than 20 gals to wash and dry a load of clothes.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com