Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 07-22-2017

Default New tires question

I need to get a new set of tires. Looking online, there's a plethora of people offering them mail order, but I'm concerned about getting fresh ones. Does anyone have any insights about achieving this goal? After all, once you have 8 tires on your front doorstep, returning them could be problematical if they have old date codes on them
The other thing is...which ones? I seldom drive over 55mph (conserving fuel, I'm a cheapskate) so although Michelins are nice, I'm looking to the more economical brands. I'm running on Toyo steer & Firestone drive & tag right now, with a Hankook(?) spare (unused), & they're all between 7 and 8 years old, how she was shod when I got her. I'll probably get all 8 the same, as some places offer a discount for a full set (see? Cheapskate!), so does anyone have a recommendation as to brand? Also, is there a market for used 7-year-old tires with plenty of tread left on them?
Lastly, does it matter if I have the same tires on all axles? Looking at the specs, some say recommended for steer, can be used steer, drive or trailer, and the documentation for the PT-40 recommends slightly different specs for each axle, I think. (I'm out of state, Reno, for work for a couple of weeks, & the Shadow & all her documentation are back in Salt Lake; it's not that I'm too lazy to go out & look!).
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 07-22-2017

I used a local tire shop, Toyo M144s, 315 size, mounted and balance beads installed, very recent date code, for $567 each. Simpletire.com had them for a little less, but then you have to have them installed, so would not have saved much. Your are right about the date codes. They could be old.

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 07-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
I used a local tire shop, Toyo M144s, 315 size, mounted and balance beads installed, very recent date code, for $567 each.
Then there is the other question bead balance, spin balance or centramatics? Or Centramatics with beads or spin? I know WOG has the Michelin discount program, I just haven't been able to figure out just what the Michelin cost is on the WOG program.

Tim, Dawn, Grace & Paul Mendenhall
And a handful of dogs and some Alpacas, goats & sheep
Old 07-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M. View Post
Then there is the other question bead balance, spin balance or centramatics? Or Centramatics with beads or spin? I know WOG has the Michelin discount program, I just haven't been able to figure out just what the Michelin cost is on the WOG program.
I just bought two new Michelin 315 for the steers. Cost per tire is $649.30 using the Michelin advantage program tied to Dupree. Not to be confused with the Michelin advantage program tied to FMCA. The FMCA costs are higher.
Old 07-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I just bought two new Michelin 315 for the steers. Cost per tire is $649.30 using the Michelin advantage program tied to Dupree. Not to be confused with the Michelin advantage program tied to FMCA. The FMCA costs are higher.
Kevin,

When did you buy? I didn't know that different advantage programs had different prices. I think that they Michelin raised the price $50 again in May. I used the Dupree plan and the end of last year and paid something like $1325 for two 315s installed.

Diego
Old 07-23-2017

You could end up chasing your tail and spending more. I'm not convinced that Michelin tires are needed nor even that they are the best. BUT I like to deal with the local guys, support the local economy knowing if I have a problem they will be glad to help me. I don't see a problem with Toyo tires and Hankook seems to be pretty respected .

A little like fuel. How far do you drive out of your way to save 10 cents a gallon. I guess it depends .

My local tire shop also does repairs for me. I spend a TON of money with them but they treat me like I'm a celebrity.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa View Post
Kevin,

When did you buy? I didn't know that different advantage programs had different prices. I think that they Michelin raised the price $50 again in May. I used the Dupree plan and the end of last year and paid something like $1325 for two 315s installed.

Diego
I bought them last week. I didn't know about the different prices either until I spoke with the Michelin advantage rep. The price i listed is per tire and doesn't include install, tax, balance, etc.
Old 07-23-2017

Do you have les schwab in Utah? Seems like I saw them there, talk to them.
Old 07-25-2017

Default Drive axle tire OK for tag & steer?

Thanks all for your advice. I've been perusing the (many) tire size threads & checking online vendors as well as local retailers. So far my best bet is www.simpletire.com, they carry tons of brands, the well-known ones as well as some I've never heard of; probably the Chinese knock-off's I've read about.
One that looks promising is a Yokohama TY023; it's a 295/75R 22.5, 16ply with a H load rating. does that sound like it would work for the PT-40 all round? The price isn't too bad, $343 each (plus tax) with $70 per tire shipping, & right now there's a 10% summer sale going on. They also have a TY517 at $293 with the same specs, but it's listed as a drive axle tire. Could I use it on all axles?
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 07-25-2017

I would add all the numbers up and see what those tires will cost headed down the road on your coach. They may not be such a deal after you consider all the cost. How close are the local dealers on a suitable tire? I would pay a few bucks more for a local.

As far as "drive Axle tires for all positions the name answers that question.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656