Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 11-12-2019

Default Potable water freezing up

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. Last night the temp was in the single digits, & this morning our water isn't running. The Aquahot is working, the bay where the waterpumps are is (relatively!) warm, & the fresh water tank isn't frozen up. When I turn a faucet on, the pumps don't run. When the temp got down to 17 the night before last, we were fine. Is there some point where the water supply line is exposed? I got a heat lamp this morning, put it in behind the water fill assembly, time will tell if it works. But as we're full-timing, I'd like to find a permanent fix for this. All advice appreciated!
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 11-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. Last night the temp was in the single digits, & this morning our water isn't running. The Aquahot is working, the bay where the waterpumps are is (relatively!) warm, & the fresh water tank isn't frozen up. When I turn a faucet on, the pumps don't run. When the temp got down to 17 the night before last, we were fine. Is there some point where the water supply line is exposed? I got a heat lamp this morning, put it in behind the water fill assembly, time will tell if it works. But as we're full-timing, I'd like to find a permanent fix for this. All advice appreciated!
Rick Archie's '97 used to have a problem with the pump on the floor of the fresh water compartment. The other one was OK, but that one just does not get enough heat to stay open. Maybe a short run of heat tape on that pump and it's connections would take care of it.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 11-12-2019

Did you have your bay heaters on? Actually, the thermostat that controls those does not turn off, but you might check them all. I have 4 of those.
Did you leave a bay door open?
Or have an additional heat source near the thermostat? Don't do that!
Check your water manifold. It may be frozen up. Once it thaws out, you will know for sure. I have already had to rebuild mine.

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43