Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-18-2019

Default Fixing a BB

When I first bought my FC I was amazed at some of the quality in a Wanderlodge build. Everything is overbuilt. From the HD body to the cabinetry. I was used to a stick MH. Have you ever been to an RV factory? The sound of staple guns is deafening. Many of us have 30 ( even 40) year old Birds and they are still on the road. My 88 PT is like my FC. Well built. However repairing some things is almost impossible.When I bought my PT I knew I was going to change the inverter. In preparation I needed to change one of the 120 volt breakers.They are on the rear wall behind the bed and the mirrored cabinets. The panel sits behind a door that is so close to the panel cover it cannot get through the door. I adjusted the breakers rearward but no luck. I started to disassemble the framework around the door. It is mostly one piece or it was screed together before being installed. You have to be a contortionist to access all the screws. Pry bar and mallet required. Somehow I managed. Putting it all back together was just as hard. A 1/4 drive thumb ratchet and rt. angle screwdriver required. All was good. But this year when we returned to Mexico I was having trouble opening one of those mirrored cabinets. In the heat the mirrored door stuck to the upholstery. I nudged it a bit too much and the mirror came of in my hands. It was in one piece. BB in their wisdom used double faced tape. I scraped of all the tape and applied new. But it was not that strong. I walked away and the mirror shattered. Many tears. Looking at the cabinet I could see that it needed to be adjusted. The mirror was too close to the upholstery. On a PT you can remove a large vent on the back wall to get behind the cabinet. Not a very large opening. I was able to shim the cabinetry. I have a new mirror sitting in the shop. It is to be installed tomorrow with some HI tech sealant for mirrors. In a stick MH one could just pop some staples and you are done! If only BB had thought about repairing things before assembling. My old body is hurting from working inside that cabinet!

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 12-18-2019

Ahhh...the cares of this world...

Good Ole Bird - 1980 FC35 250T

Rockpapa

Larose, LA
Old 12-18-2019

Bruce?
I hear you. I did a total bedroom rebuild several years ago. The number of screws was stupid. Sometimes you wonder what they were thinking. Some stuff was impossible to access. I guess the first owners were rich, they would just take it back to the factory, pay whatever.
The other thig I found on BB and other RVs, I have worked on, is apparently there was not a single vacuum in the assembly line. The ammount od saw dust and ****, wires, screws, etc behind cabinets was crazy.
Wanderlodges are well built, with little or no thought to service or accress anything, at least that is what I have found.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 12-19-2019

When we bought our FC I found a full roll of HD industrial electric tape one inch wide. Still have it! I still cannot understand how they put that bedroom wall together?

Old 12-19-2019

We have all shared the frustrations of attempting to repair something in our BB. I cant speak for anyone else but I am certainly glad BB are built as well as they are. I used to own SOB motorhomes and the quality doesn't come close to a BB. Repairs are a bigger challenge but the feeling of accomplishing them is certainly rewarding and satisfying. Just rolling down the road in something other than a stick built MH certainly makes me feel a bit more safe with my family onboard.

Just my two cents worth
1999 Blue Bird 43LXi
Body # F123448
Chassis # 84788
Old 12-19-2019

I have found that almost everything I do to the bird takes longer than I expected it to. If Bluebird was having to do repairs under warranty I am surprised that they were in business as long as they were.. j/k. If they did not have all the screws and fasteners and such, I doubt they would be as solid compared to a S and S. As far as the mechanicals go, they are designed to work and fit in the space allotted, nothing more nothing less. Comparing to my MCI, which was designed to do an engine and trans swap in a day.... that’s with a fresh engine and trans ready to go in sitting there.. With all that, I still love my Wanderlodge and to me it compares to none..

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 12-19-2019
Black Sheep Division

X2 to all above!

I have said before BB must have had stock in a screw factory! They never used 2 screws in a place they could put 5!

TOM
Old 12-19-2019

And most of the screws are stainless!!!!