Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-20-2019

Default Boondocking experts please

Anyone out there who does alot of dry camping with 8d gel batteries? IMO i should be able to run alot more with these batteries than i currently am. I believe the remote lcd is what is confusing me. The batteries (3) are rated at 225ah, the manual for the remote says to set the inverter to battery capacity which i would presume is around 125 x 8, or set it on auto and after 15 to 20 cycles (is a cycle the charge or the draw or both) it will discover the battery cappacity on its own. Also when on auto the buzzer goes off at 49% which i realize that the batteries should never go below that, when not on auto they go all the way down to as low as 20%. To be specific, last night went to bed with 2 phones charging 1 tv on and 1 small fan, nothing else i even shut most circuit breakers off, woke up at 8 and was at 29%. Batteries were bought in Feb 2019. Any wisdom would be appreciated as I believe the settings on the remote are in the wrong positions.
2004 PT Cruiser

USMC 0311
DAV Life Member
Old 12-20-2019

Mike , I'm no expert but I do lots of dry camping . I would ask why if your batteries were that low did your generator not start. I also know batteries have a life span and to bring them down below 50% really takes some life out of them, but you know that . Lets hope its a setting issue and when our solar west coast woggers wake up they chime in with some good news.
Be ready for Putz to tell you how you should have gone with flooded lead acid batteries , lol

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 12-20-2019

Is it cold where you are?
Old 12-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Is it cold where you are?
wheres it warm andy we're look'n! !
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 12-20-2019

It's supposed to get to 40 here, nice!

The batteries lose a lot of capacity if it's near freezing or lower, that's all I was going to say.
Old 12-20-2019

I boondock in Key West.....been here 3 weeks
2004 PT Cruiser

USMC 0311
DAV Life Member
Old 12-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeocd View Post
Anyone out there who does alot of dry camping with 8d gel batteries? IMO i should be able to run alot more with these batteries than i currently am. I believe the remote lcd is what is confusing me. The batteries (3) are rated at 225ah, the manual for the remote says to set the inverter to battery capacity which i would presume is around 125 x 8... Batteries were bought in Feb 2019. Any wisdom would be appreciated as I believe the settings on the remote are in the wrong positions.
We spend about 90% of the time off-the-cord.

If your M380 has not been modified, it uses three 4D coach batteries not 8D’s. 4D’s vary with brand, but are commonly 200-215 Ah for each battery for a total of around 600 Ah’s of total coach capacity at 12V. You say your batteries are 225 Ah each and we know they’re wired parallel, so theoretically you have 675 Ah of total coach battery capacity. That sounds high to me but maybe it’s correct. If you are telling the system you’ve got 8x125 or 1000 Ah of capacity, that’s part of your problem. Whether you have the original Trace inverter/charger or has it been upgraded to a Magnum or Xantrex, you need to first tell the charger what you’ve really got - 675 Ah not 1000 Ah. Once you do that, it should give you an accurate pack SOC %. Then to reduce overnight drawdown you will then need to systematically turn OFF all unnecessary AND phantom draw items when you go to bed. Here is a list to look at:
  • Hurricane electric heater - there is a CB in the back that powers an electric coil inside the Hurricane to reduce burner cycles. Most M380 owners have turned this OFF with the CB in the back closet
  • Hurricane itself - if you don’t need it overnight, turn it completely OFF (wait for clearing cycle to complete before turning the power OFF). You can tell it’s OFF because there will be no scrolling message on the kitchen H control panel
  • Unplug all electronics - simply turning them OFF doesn’t eliminate their phantom loads. I put most of my electronics in the front overhead on a switched multi-outlet bar. A flip of that switch and most of my energy suckers will be turned OFF
  • The microwave - I installed a paddle light switch in the upper cabinet that controls the outlet than our microwave is plugged into
  • Make sure the InstaHot is turned OFF
  • Slide “computers” - they are plugged into a ceiling outlet on the left side of the big pass-thru bay. I installed a simple inline switch to shut them down. Be advised, some think keeping them ON all the time in wet/humid climates extends electronic board lifespans
  • Research the WOG about the right hand electric relay in the compartment under the drivers window. It sucks allot of juice and is typically hot to the touch. It’s only purpose is to control power for the slide. I put in a switch there and turn it OFF when boondocking. A few have bypassed it entirely
  • Verify your 3-way electric refer is on LP not Auto or Electric
  • Verify that your battery temperature sensor is actually attached to the first negative terminal inside your plastic battery “tub”. When I removed mine to do my “All Electric M380” mod, I was surprise that someone had simply rolled up the sensor lead in inside the case without hooking it up. As Andy says, your inverter/charger varies it’s battery charging profile based on battery temperature.

The above list and ideas should get you started.

Last edited by NoGas; 12-20-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 2 Days Ago

As Van said, the M380 uses 3 4D batteries unless your coach has been modified.

Everyone's electrical issues are unique to the way the coach is used and the condition of the batteries. I can offer my own experience for comparison. This M380 uses the stock Lifeline 4D batteries and original inverter/charger. There are rooftop solar panels and a 45 amp solar charge controller. The battery box has been modified so that each battery cable is the same length to the terminals on the box.

We boondock most of the time, sometimes going months without plugging in. The stereo runs all the time; the TV and satellite system runs as much as we want. All of this runs on a small 300 watt pure sine wave inverter along with phone and laptop chargers.

All of the lighting has been changed to LED.

The 3000 watt inverter runs the microwave and toaster. We leave it off unless needed. In winter the Hurricane furnace runs when we need it for heat and hot water. If we want the convection oven (seldom) or the AC (time to move on) the generator must be started.

Needless to say, we turn the Dometic fridge off of Auto so it runs with propane rather than the inverter which would kill the house batteries.

We were getting along with 7 year-old Lifeline 4Ds but had to watch the voltage. After new ones went in a couple years ago we have all the power we need for the way we use the coach.

We were worried the M380 would not boondock well after our relatively simple 84 FC31 but it has been great!
04 M380
Old 1 Day Ago

Thanx Bob, I do not have solar panel yet, but you say you turn the inverter off, I was told never turn it completely off is that true. Is the 300 watt inverter must be running off solar correct? After my first 3 weeks I was fine needless to say the new 8d gell batteries I bought from napa (Deca), one of them was sold to me dead. Once I narrowed that down and fought with napa I replaced it and everything worked out great. I did need to run the generator for a few hours a day though, the inverter was on all the time.
2004 PT Cruiser

USMC 0311
DAV Life Member
Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeocd View Post
Thanx Bob, I do not have solar panel yet, but you say you turn the inverter off, I was told never turn it completely off is that true. Is the 300 watt inverter must be running off solar correct? After my first 3 weeks I was fine needless to say the new 8d gell batteries I bought from napa (Deca), one of them was sold to me dead. Once I narrowed that down and fought with napa I replaced it and everything worked out great. I did need to run the generator for a few hours a day though, the inverter was on all the time.
Hi Mike,
Are the 8D batteries deep discharge or starting? Please check this out for your sake.
They should be deep discharge!! Voltage characteristics at 100% charge will be similar.

Can you turn off the inverter by the remote panel above the driver? I installed, like Van Magnum MS 2812 pure sine inverter. And 3 x 300W panels with PT100 charge controller.
I can off grid indefinitely with sunny conditions, including using microwave and coffee maker.
I also use the propane source for my dometic fridge.

If you search my name you'll find a thread about solar install on my M380.
I also eliminated some phantom loads like continuous relay under the driver's window.
I haven't disabled the 12V Master functionality but I should ... I never find reason to turn off the 12V power. I suspect that relay consumes 1amp.

I'm in the process of adding LiFePo4 house battery to my system to add capacity and charging efficiency. Stay tuned for a future update!

Cheers,
Doug
Ex-PT36