Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-18-2020

Default What the heck is this?

For a while I thought this yellow strip was a light that was dead over the entrance step. I crawled under the girl and found that one of the leads had pulled loose from the crimp connector. I put a jumper on the wires expecting to see the strip light up. To my surprise the strip seems to be a pressure sensitive switch that is linked into the step controls. I imagine it has not worked for a while but I have only owned the coach for less that a year. The strip mounts in a aluminum channel above the leading edge of the step. When I press on the strip the step extends the step when the door is closed.

I know these girls had some fancy electrical circuits, but I cannot find anything in the owners black box that gives me a hint how this is supposed to work.

Any ideas would be helpful

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step_Switch.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	65929  
Old 01-18-2020

It's designed to prevent the step from retracting if your foot is inserted between the step and chassis. Mine still works after 35 yrs. You might not think you need it, but you'll be thankful when it does it's job!

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 01-18-2020
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
It's designed to prevent the step from retracting if your foot is inserted between the step and chassis. Mine still works after 35 yrs. You might not think you need it, but you'll be thankful when it does it's job!
Yep! Mine still works too! When we got the PT (Geeze, 10 years this week!) I about had my leg broke by an unregulated step cylinder. Wham, out it came wacking my shin bone. That is when we figured out the strange little yellow strip as our FC35 of the day was missing it making me unawares, har!

Hello Shane!!

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 01-18-2020

Default Thanks to all for the advice

Okay,

I must admit that my first inclination was that it was a strip light. The double stick tape let go and I just tucked it under the step hardware. Now after hearing that it is a safety device. I will surely reconnect it and make sure it works as an interlock for the step. My first inclination was to chuck it out but I figured Bluebird engineers are way smarter than me.

Thanks for the replies.

Chip
Old 01-19-2020

You might find it was disconnected for a reason. They can interfere with the step's proper operation.

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43