Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-27-2009

Default Snow in Air Intake advise ? Leaves Block Air Intake

I just went for a drive after a snowfall of about 5" and learned something new. As i was driving, the snow from the roof was sucked into the intake and completely packed the filter housing. I didn't notice anything wrong until i started to climb a hill and barely made it. No turbo boost, no power i thought i had a fuel problem and was just praying i would make it back home. I was greatly relieved to find out it was just snow and a soaked filter.

Good luck.

Last edited by iamflagman; 12-28-2009 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Edited title to reflect content
Old 12-28-2009

That's something I wouldn't have ever considered. Thanks for posting. Might it also be a problem driving in a snow storm? Something I would try to avoid at all costs but you never know what you might be forced to do.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 12-28-2009
Campground Owner

I have been there. Your filter is most likely done for. I drive in the snow too much. The problem isn't bad driving while its snowing. The problem is starting off with snow on the roof. When it starts to blow back, the roof intake takes it right in. It will melt out of the filter, but takes a long time.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 12-28-2009
Gardner

If snow goes in then so does rain. How do you keep the filter from becoming water logged in either case? I had wanted to expand the intake on my FC, but rain was something I didn't know how to handle. It seemed I would need to take the air in from a shielded area like one of the compartments.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-28-2009

Good point Gardner. On the Pt that air intake is sitting right up there certainly rain, snow etc would get in. Humm. Might have to do with how fast? I can see if there is snow accumulated on the roof it might get in in big glugs and that might be the difference. I don't know but it's certainly something to be concerned about. Those filters are over $100

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 12-28-2009
Campground Owner

There is a deflector in the filter housing, and a drain hole in the bottom. I haven't noticed any problem with rain. I just had one time slug of snow from the roof. I have since been able to get away with dusting off the snow in front of the scoop, outside the goat rail.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 12-28-2009

In retrospect i had at least 5" of power snow on the roof. It stuffed the filter housing good and tight but next time you can bet i will brush the roof off first. I have the filter drying in the house. I just put it in two weeks ago.
Old 12-28-2009

Driving our bus home on the day we bought it, we had to drive in pouring rain with a 20 mph head wind. That must have made about a 70 mph wind driving the rain into the scoop. I kept expecting it to start running rough but it never missed a beat. As soon as I got home, I removed the air cleaned and it was dry as a bone. There was a little wet spot in the bottom of the housing near the drain hole.
"The Aviary"
Old 11-09-2010

Question SUCH A FREAKY THING HAPPENED Leaves Block Air Intake

We were going camping when the engine lost power, smoke coming out of the stack, and no power.

Did not have a clue, called for an expensive wrecker bill, then discovered leaves from low hanging trees, had clogged up the screen on the right side roof, where the intake is. This is on a 1991 wanderlodge.

Could not believe this happened. Some campgrounds are on backroads, and this was a very expensive lesson for me.

Noticed the leaves clogging up the intake, about the time the wrecker got there.

Still did not have much power, after cleaning the intake, and air filter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

phil in rocky mount, virginia
Old 11-09-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUESURF View Post
We were going camping when the engine lost power, smoke coming out of the stack, and no power.

Did not have a clue, called for an expensive wrecker bill, then discovered leaves from low hanging trees, had clogged up the screen on the right side roof, where the intake is. This is on a 1991 wanderlodge.

Could not believe this happened. Some campgrounds are on backroads, and this was a very expensive lesson for me.

Noticed the leaves clogging up the intake, about the time the wrecker got there.

Still did not have much power, after cleaning the intake, and air filter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

phil in rocky mount, virginia

Phil,

We have had this same issue caused by a heavy snow fall basically doing the same thing, I don't know the configuration of the rest of the air intake system, but it sounds like you may still have some smaller leaves that have gotten sucked into it and will need to be removed. I believe the solution was to turn the air intake around aimed backward to help eliminate this problem from happening again.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here and verify if I am correct.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11