Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 08-11-2012

Default Another air leak??

I have another air leak this morning.

The symptoms.

When I turn on the axillary pump I hear leaking behind the front drawer. I can work the suspension up switch and that will go away.

I still hear the leak outside on both sides of the tag axle. I am pretty sure the leak has to do with the valve on the tag axle.

1) Is the valve on the tag axle a height control valve or something different?
2) Where would this valve be, I could never isolate where the air is coming out? Of course I didn't get under there and play around either.

I am trying to figure out what to do if I want it fixed.

1) Should I try to get it fixed in Prince George where I am now?
2) Should I try to push back on into the states?
3) We only have 4 more stops in Canada. It may make it. The bus does seem to air up. it just leaks. Or should I get back to the states ASAP and bypass Jasper, Banff etc.
4) Calgary is also another option.

I just worry that whoever looks at it may need some Bluebird experience and cost may be drastically different in Canada versus the US.

I will say I shot it with MMO in Valdez for this issue and aired the coach up and down a couple of times and it stopped until yesterday.

1) Should I just try that again? I am a little hesitant to do that based on my experience in Fairbanks. I do have some air antifreeze too. Does anyone think that might help?

I am open to any and all suggestions. I would like to resolve it once and for all soon, but if everyone thinks it will limp along maybe Helena, MT would be a better choice to have it looked at.

Thanks ahead of time.
Fruita Colorado
Old 08-11-2012

Looks like Nortrux has several locations and one in Calagary. They are in the Prevost network. Anyone have any experience with them?

Also an MMO question. Do most of you use MMO for oil and gas or the one for air? I never had an issue with MMO using the one for gas and oil? My thinking is that that one isn't pure oil but has some cleaner stuff in it for injectors etc.

I have both should I decide to go that route.
Fruita Colorado
Old 08-11-2012

Another symptom. When I air up the coach with the auxiliary air pump the leak seems to stop. It is like maybe the dump side leaks on the tag axle valve. This gives me confidence I can go quite a ways before a good repair. I would just not be able to use the washer dryer because the pump would just run and run. I don't need the auxiliary for anything else but dumping tanks and I can run it for a few minutes to do that or do that manually.

Does anyone know where the dryer vent opens. Can I do that manually too?
Fruita Colorado
Old 08-11-2012
davidmbrady

My guess is that its not your tag axle but that its your air dryer. The auxiliary compressor doesn't produce enough pressure to cause the dryer to spit. It could be the drier or the air governor. I'd get it fixed. A sudden loss of air pressure will create quite a pucker factor in the mountains.
Old 08-11-2012

David, if that was it why would it quit when I hit the suspension air up. I do want to get it fixed, I had just rather wait until Montana and maybe it would be cheaper. Missoula seems to have a Prevost and a Newell recommended servicer.

Also I am not cranking the engine just using the auxiliary at this point to hear these leaks. I would think the governor just comes into play when using the engine pump not the auxiliary.

Is my thinking here flawed? The leak seems to go away when I hit the suspension up. It wasn't leaking yesterday when I parked just this morning when we went to use the washer/dryer.
Fruita Colorado
Old 08-11-2012
davidmbrady

George,

When you start your engine and after the dash gauge hits 125 PSI or so, do you hear a definitive purge of the air drier?
Old 08-11-2012

Yes a definite purge at about 125.

Again, the leak seems to stop when I hit suspension up on both the suspension and the tag.

I think I will try suspension without the tag next time to see what happens.
Fruita Colorado
Old 08-11-2012

Another symptom. I have been airing the coach up and down to see what happens. The tag usually only airs up to 65 or so. Now the tag is airing up to 100 and the pump hasn't shut off yet.

Again, it did this before and I hit it with MMO and it quit.
Fruita Colorado
Old 08-11-2012
davidmbrady

Have you done a DOT style air brake test lately? The one where you start the engine, build pressure, shutdown the engine and apply the brakes for three minutes and note the bleed down. I'm trying to get a feel for the safety of the machine.
Old 08-11-2012

No I haven't. It does loose air. It will go down past 90 in about 30 minutes unless I keep the auxiliary pump on. With either pump on it stays where it should be.

I will try to find the test you speak of.

I will say I have been driving it frequently and watch the air constantly and no real issues when the pumps are going. I did have the air worked on at what seemed to be a quite competent shop by what seemed to be a quite competent man with many many years of experience and he didn't express a lot of concern except for the emulsification he found in the air system.

Lately the air system has seemed to work better than ever with the auxiliary airing up the coach by itself to the point of turning off the suspension dumped light itself without cranking the engine. Previously I has always had to crank the engine to get the suspension fully up.
Fruita Colorado