Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-01-2018

Default Oil leak

Hey guys.... looking for some input on where I may have oil leak coming from on my 84 PT40. It’s not the engine oil that is leaking but rather the oil from the system that services the cooling fan and power steering etc. Its leaking from an area above the starter somewhere but I can’t see much past that. Anybody had anything similar??? It always had a minor leak but that has turned in to a major one and I’m carrying it to get fixed hopefully this week but wanted to give the guy I’m carrying it too some idea of where to start since he’s not totally familiar with these buses.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 08-01-2018
Forum owner

Dixon,do you have a PT? I think John thinks you have an FC?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-01-2018

The starter is below the batteries which is on the passenger side and the only oil lines that come to mind in that area is a line that comes off the engine block next to the starter. It feeds oil to the air compressor and also to the oil pressure sender.

Is it possible to get the access hatch from the bedroom to the engine room opened up for a better visual? The hydraulic pump and it's associated lines that drives the fan motor and power steering sits on top of the engine under the alternator.....but that is on the driver's side.

Most busses use 10W30 in that hydraulic system-how are you determining it is from the hydraulic system? Some of the very first PT's had a unusual air over hydraulic pilot system-maybe yours has that and the lines are routed different.
Kansas, Il
Old 08-01-2018
Forum owner

You said hydraulic oil,but theres a lift ring above the starter thats had a history of the bolts falling out,one of the bolt holes goes into an oil drain back area,if the bolt is out it will leak like mad,

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-01-2018
RV Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Dixon,do you have a PT? I think John thinks you have an FC?
Yeah, I had another brain fart.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 08-02-2018

Yes, mine is a PT.

I've narrowed it down to this system because the engine oil on the dipstick always remains at full level. The large canister right beside cooling fan (looks like it holds about 3 gallons) on the drivers side rear of the bus is low, and I can fill it up and run the bus for any length of time and go back and check it and it will be low again. This leak is a considerable leak meaning you can look under the bus and watch it pour out and it will only leak when the bus is running. It would fill up a gallon jug in less than 5 min with it just sitting there idling.

I don't really have the right tools or jack stands to be lift the bus and be able to get under it safely to try to diagnose the leak any more than what I have already done. The closest shop to me (someone that I can trust not to screw me) is about 10 miles from my house and I have the canister full right now and that amount probably won't make it to the shop, so I will have to pull over and refill it just to make it to the shop.

I will check that hatch under the bed again and see what I can see. I had that hatch open a few months ago looking around and didn't notice anything then but its worth another look.

Randy, is that lift ring bolt above the starter that you mentioned associated with the engine oil, or this hydraulic system ?? This leak would fall in the "mad leak" category so that could very well be it if its in the hydraulic system.

Thanks for the input so far guys.
Old 08-02-2018

Brian, The oil is leaking from your hydraulic fan and power steering pump area. That unit is mounted to the front of the engine, but just below the alternator drive pulley. More than likely, the shaft seal on the pump has dried out OR a hose has ruptured. Sure, you can do this repair yourself....but having a pit and/or lift makes it much, much easier. I had my hose repaired by a Cummins Coach-Care shop and it was a few hundred dollars. They had the crows feet wrenches and skinny tech guy to get the job done. If the pump needs a new shaft seal, it will have to be removed and you might as well rebuild it. There are numerous threads on the WOG forum, but here are a few pics of the pump area.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=15062

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 08-02-2018

Thanks Shane,

From your experience would I be able to see or fix any of this from the engine hatch in the bedroom or does this have to be fixed from underneath??
Old 08-02-2018

or is there even a chance that it could be diagnosed from the top side through the hatch???
Old 08-02-2018

Yes, you can inspect the area from the bedroom hatch. It is very difficult, however, to remove the pump from that position, especially with the exhaust pipe occupying about a third of the work opening. This is a good view of the area- The pump is actually below the green alternator belt pulley in the lower part of the picture. IMHO, its easier to pull off from under the coach, rather than over top, unless the radiator is removed or the alternator belts and exhaust pipe are removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-2-2016 008.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	56710  

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912