Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 02-10-2018

Default 6V92 Play in turbo shaft.

Hi all - My 6V is being rebuilt and the mechanic is questioning some play in the turbo shaft. I searched on line to see if anyone published acceptable tolerance for the turbo, a TV7111 or R-8923051, but found nothing relating to that specific turbo or DD turbos in general. I did however see quite a bit of info on movement in turbo shafts being normal, for example look here and here.

I do not want to error on the side of saving $1200 vs having the turbo go belly up and send some foreign bits downstream into my fresh rebuild. That said neither do I want to spend $1200 extra for no good reason. Does anyone hear care to share some insights?

PS the video link above depicts exactly the kind of movement he is describing.
Old 02-10-2018

If I was rebuilding the motor, I'd rebuild the turbo too.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 02-11-2018

Cool

Don't know if this helps

A/R 98/101 1ST # RELATES TO AIR INTAKE I'M TOLD---important

end--end play less important than side to side

side to side will cause much more damage

very close torrance's

I opted for replacing mine with a factory rebuild--- which allows for it to be tested at factory prior to install.

I guest it all depends on how much u trust the mekanic.

Diesel parts Direct---$899 I think
1985 PT36'
2014 F150 4X4
Old 02-11-2018

How about this? Take it to a good turbo shop and have them check it out. I use Michigan Turbo in Grand Rapids. They always have treated me fairly. If it only needs to be cleaned up, that's what they do. If it needs a new cartridge, it may be 3-$500, etc. Have the experts look at it. They do this stuff everyday.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 02-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWBIRD View Post
How about this? Take it to a good turbo shop and have them check it out. I use Michigan Turbo in Grand Rapids. They always have treated me fairly. If it only needs to be cleaned up, that's what they do. If it needs a new cartridge, it may be 3-$500, etc. Have the experts look at it. They do this stuff everyday.
Agree. If any question, replace. If good leave it.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 02-12-2018

In case anyone is wondering about this issue in the future here is what I have learned so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWBIRD View Post
Snowbird's advice seemed to make sense to me so I tracked down a company close by that rebuilds big truck turbos in house, Pacific Fuel Injection in Portland OR. A nice gentleman there named Rod spoke to me at length about my situation and he in fact confirmed that a turbo can have a great deal of play in the shaft, both side to side and front to back. When oil flows into the turbo it takes up this play by filling in the voids, he called this a common worry that often is nothing. However, he followed up saying the only way to know for sure is to pull the turbo system out of it's housing and check the shaft and bearing tolerances, a service he offers for free. Should the unit need work he can perform repairs in house for around $400 depending on the parts needed. I know someone above suggested a rebuilt unit from Diesel Parts Direct for $899 but that unit is not the same unit that is on my motor, the r-8923051 is $1136. So if the unit is rebuildable that certainly would be the way to go.
Old 02-12-2018

Bill -
Are you in San Diego or Portland?

I had a good experience with a Turbo shop / builder in Oceanside - near the 76 and Oceanside airport. I could track down that shop name.

Thought this might help if you are paying shipping to OR.

Doug
BTW - I think you approached me for a tour of my PT36. Sorry that didn't work out. I did follow up. Glad to see you on here. Hope the 6V rebuild was anticipated.
Old 02-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Bill -
Are you in San Diego or Portland?

I had a good experience with a Turbo shop / builder in Oceanside - near the 76 and Oceanside airport. I could track down that shop name.

Thought this might help if you are paying shipping to OR.

Doug
BTW - I think you approached me for a tour of my PT36. Sorry that didn't work out. I did follow up. Glad to see you on here. Hope the 6V rebuild was anticipated.
Thanks for the info Doug, I am in SD but the motor blew up outside Bend, OR. So the rebuild was not expected, you can read a synopsis of my woeful tale here.

Fast forward 6 long months and my relatively inexpensive rebuild has taken forever and a day. Nice guy doing the work is very competent but retired and slow plus he had a number personal health issues along the way. I may be getting a great deal on labor but time is what I had to trade for that. Fortunately the episode is drawing to a close and I should have the bus back in a week or so.

As for seeing your PT, the fault is mine for not following up with you on that. I'd still like to see your coach if the moons align. Take care - Bill
Old 02-13-2018
Bluebird Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Leg Bill View Post
In case anyone is wondering about this issue in the future here is what I have learned so far.

Snowbird's advice seemed to make sense to me so I tracked down a company close by that rebuilds big truck turbos in house, Pacific Fuel Injection in Portland OR. A nice gentleman there named Rod spoke to me at length about my situation and he in fact confirmed that a turbo can have a great deal of play in the shaft, both side to side and front to back. When oil flows into the turbo it takes up this play by filling in the voids, he called this a common worry that often is nothing. However, he followed up saying the only way to know for sure is to pull the turbo system out of it's housing and check the shaft and bearing tolerances, a service he offers for free. Should the unit need work he can perform repairs in house for around $400 depending on the parts needed. I know someone above suggested a rebuilt unit from Diesel Parts Direct for $899 but that unit is not the same unit that is on my motor, the r-8923051 is $1136. So if the unit is rebuildable that certainly would be the way to go.
Pacific Fuel Injection is where I got my turbo from.
Cost was $913 installed by Pacific Freightliner in Coburg, OR.

The story of my life:
I knew better, but did it anyway.
Old 02-13-2018

Hey Bill,
What a bummer! Good luck in getting back in your bus and on the road!

I read through your updates. Any thoughts on how one might prevent a similar circumstance? My 6V does smoke up a storm (black) at take-off from stoplights, but this seems to dissipate at speed.

Definitely hit me up when you are back in San Diego. We can talk shop and compare bluebird notes.

Thank you,

Doug