Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-13-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
1100, 1150 is common on pulls for our engine. When it starts to edge higher I force a shift or let off the throttle. No need to push harder and risk a piston. You might consider using the Power/Economy switch in the power mode. Forces the shifts at a higher RPM which keeps the temps down a bit.
Rick, yes. I expect you have your Horton fan/air-clutch and ZF well sorted out, which must be a big help when getting to know how to drive the grades. I'm still not sure when my Horton fan clutch kicks on, but judging by temps on grades it seems to be late. Adding a fan override switch is a project whose time has come.

About turbo temps and engine overheating, I just experimented with this and am now wondering about the CAT's power (torque) curve. This experiment was a lazy one; I hit the grades in cruise control, intentionally doing 52@1800 in economy mode--no hurry. Without a grade to climb, the pyro reads 600F. Into the grade, the ZF downshifted predictably at 1500, and the CAT ran cool enough in 4th and 3rd to keep going up without stops to cool, maxing in the 11s on the pyro.

Quite a different story trying to storm the grade in power mode, hammer down. She downshifts at 1800--4th gear peters out real quick, then into 3rd where it pulls and will start its temp climb. Turbo near at 1200F. I don't ordinarily shift forward speeds with the buttons, but I've read that others do it routinely. That could keep 3rd from revving out and shifting back into 4th, petering out and back to 3rd, etc. Right? What a good idea

All considered, I was pretty happy with cruise control + economy mode. The CAT held 52-ish mph for a long time when the grade started, made me wonder if that 1500-1800 rpm is a torque peak .

CAT manuals say that the torque curve is broad, making power throughout the rev range. But there are so many CAT manuals floating around, I don't know if I've actually seen a graph of the 300HP ATAAC power curve.

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to work on throttle finesse, defined as using less than full pedal when called for.
Full-time in 2019
Old 07-13-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
Don't be devastated when Cat isn't full of enthusiasm related to the 3208. Not many of the techs employed in most locations have worked on throwaways.
I see what yer saying, they aren't likely to train customer-facing people on old engines, just not cost effective they don't get many calls.

I found this CAT Owners Hotline number in my Blue Box, looked like Blue Bird gave it to all original owners. I called them once to find out if there was an alternator belt tensioner for my arrangement. I see pictures of them on other 3208s on WOG, but mine ain't got dat and I wish it did.

The guy at the hotline took a stab at finding my part, but I didn't have the arrangement number in hand so he couldn't finish the search. I got the feeling I would have gotten an answer if I did. I'll try again one day, maybe tomorrow when I ask about turbo temps.

Don't know what else they might be good for, but I might just be a little devastated if they can't find an engine spec, or use a parts catalog.
Full-time in 2019
Old 07-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
Hey Rick, How does that electric fan work out for you? I wouldn't think an electric fan would keep up with the heat loads here in Arizona climbing mountains in the summer time?
It works great. My gauge is usually between 185-195 degrees when rolling. Not sure if that is accurate but seems like the gauge is reading a little high. Fan doesn't come on until you come off the interstate or stop and go traffic. I trty to anticipate those situations and control it manually, then switch back to automatic control mode when I am moving again.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 07-14-2014
Forum owner

When Chap got his coach it didnt have a fan at all.
It ran 190 degrees on a hot Ga day.
Flat ground,no hills.
The PO said he would turn the heaters in the coach on to keep it cool when driving in the mountains of Alabama.

If i tried that i would be driving alone,my wife likes AC in the summer,not heat.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-14-2014
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday1 View Post
It works great. My gauge is usually between 185-195 degrees when rolling. Not sure if that is accurate but seems like the gauge is reading a little high. Fan doesn't come on until you come off the interstate or stop and go traffic. I trty to anticipate those situations and control it manually, then switch back to automatic control mode when I am moving again.

Rick in Ohio
Rick, Could you send me the fan info? I'd like to research that further.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 07-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
When Chap got his coach it didnt have a fan at all.
It ran 190 degrees on a hot Ga day.
Flat ground,no hills.
The PO said he would turn the heaters in the coach on to keep it cool when driving in the mountains of Alabama.

If i tried that i would be driving alone,my wife likes AC in the summer,not heat.
Like the old tricks you can pull when your car overheats, turn on the heater. Works, but is very painful! I've toyed with the idea of adding an additional "heater" under the coach with a powered fan for just such an occasion. I have 90,000 BTU heater taken from a school bus with dual DC fans. Same idea only the heaters are larger than ours and keeps the heat outside where it belongs.

Old 07-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
Rick, Could you send me the fan info? I'd like to research that further.
Thanx for the call Rick.

Looked them up and found them here;
http://electricfanengineering.com/index.html

Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanclutch.com View Post
Hey all.... It's been a whille since I have had a chance to get back on the Forum. I have been playing around with a new fan clutch configuation for the FC's. I need a little input..... I need to know if the FC's are 12 or 24 volt. Also I need to know if the fan blade could go forward of it's current location in the fan shroud. The clutch I have in mind is a Electric clutch similar to the Facet's. If this works out I will be able to sell you a electric clutch and not have to replace the entire fan hub. Oh yeah, I will need a guinea pig to test on also.... Let me know your thoughts...
Wow, It's been 7 years since I first started looking at this project. Horton has had some longer lead times on the 790030 clutches. So Dan is my guinea pig to test on. Using the original fan hub and a EC450 Electromagnetic clutch. Doing some machining to the pulley to get the length around 9 inches from face of block. New engineered fan hub/clutch finally. Also a different fan with more rear offset than the 905200- fans that I have been selling with the clutches. Will get pics soon. I'm sure Dan will be posting as well. On a side note Horton has updated their eta for shipping and I'm looking at about 2 weeks before I see my order of the 790030's hit the door.
313-842-4616 ext. 604
Old 5 Days Ago

Thanks for the update Larry and Thanks for helping keep these Bluebirds alive. Dan and Liz are good folks to be helping. They have more miles to explore and post about. Lots of us live vicariously by following them around.

Don’t worry about 7 years on the project. I’ve got some in my shop that haven’t been touched in more years than that, I’m saving them for my retirement projects is what I tell myself.

Max.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 4 Days Ago
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanclutch.com View Post
Wow, It's been 7 years since I first started looking at this project. Horton has had some longer lead times on the 790030 clutches. So Dan is my guinea pig to test on. Using the original fan hub and a EC450 Electromagnetic clutch. Doing some machining to the pulley to get the length around 9 inches from face of block. New engineered fan hub/clutch finally. Also a different fan with more rear offset than the 905200- fans that I have been selling with the clutches. Will get pics soon. I'm sure Dan will be posting as well. On a side note Horton has updated their eta for shipping and I'm looking at about 2 weeks before I see my order of the 790030's hit the door.
Good to hear from you Larry!
I would love to see what your doing on the electric fan.
Got pics?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com