Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 02-09-2020

Default BlueFire

Did a search but not much info. Anyone have a BlueFire monitor on an LX Cummins? Looks like a neat addition if it works. I have a ScanGauge in here now that I robbed from our Freightliner M2. Used it to compare the gauges as it seemed the oil pressure was off and it was, by 22 lb. at low idle. Also gives trans temp and boost. I like the glass dash idea. Thoughts?

Thanks, Mark
1986 Newell 40
1999 LX 40
Old 02-09-2020

Welcome Mark - use WOG search for “BlueFire” or simply look at bottom of this posting under “Similar Threads”. Best to post your BF questions over there. Lots of info available, including link to YT video I did last month on the way back from Q. You can also search IRV2.com for “BlueFire”.
Old 02-10-2020

Mark, welcome aboard! The contact information for ordering the Blue Tooth data transmitter for BlueFire is in the link below. Yours will likely require the 6-pin J-1708 device. Be sure to visit the irv2.com website too.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Y0h...4dUDCAo&uact=5
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 02-11-2020

I have actually seen some of these threads, as well as looked over the Irv2 forum. There is lots of chatter there but the only thing I took from all 150+ posts is that several folks aren't happy with the IOS version. The YouTube video is great.

Was hoping to have someone chime in with a similar coach to mine with a Cummins and a 6 pin J port, as well as some idea as to which tablet might be right for this. Maybe one capable of GPS as well so one could get rid of the stand alone GPS and clean things up a bit.

Looking for something simple that DW can focus on 4 gauges only as she is sometimes overwhelmed by the dash gauges.

At any rate thanks for replies and we'll keep digging. Thanks again, Mark
1986 Newell 40
1999 LX 40
Old 02-13-2020

Default BlueFire Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little View Post
I have actually seen some of these threads, as well as looked over the Irv2 forum. There is lots of chatter there but the only thing I took from all 150+ posts is that several folks aren't happy with the IOS version. The YouTube video is great... Was hoping to have someone chime in with a similar coach to mine with a Cummins and a 6-pin J port, as well as some idea as to which tablet might be right for this. Maybe one capablen of GPS as well so one could get rid of the stand alone GPS and clean things up a bit... Looking for something simple that DW can focus on 4 gauges only as she is sometimes overwhelmed by the dash gauges... At any rate thanks for replies and we'll keep digging. Thanks again, Mark
If that’s all you got out of the WOG & IRV2 posts about BF, you missed something . I found many of the current 237 posts in the iRV2 BF thread to be very useful. Some BF features like GPS integration, require newer iPads and Apple’s latest iOS. Yes, an iPad can display & multitask two apps on the same screen. To display two different Safari pages split screen, see HERE. Multitasking with two completely different Apps (BF + a GPS App for example) in split-screen is described HERE. Designing a 4-gauge set on the BF side of a split screen together with your favorite GPS App on the other, would be easy provided you have/buy a newer iPad with an internal GPS. The cheaper WiFi only iPads are not able to do this without “help”. Mine cannot display GPS because it is WiFi only, so I use GoogleMaps on my iPhone separately. The “Free” Co-Pilot GPS App looks very cool and its one-year RV subscription database with traffic costs $29.99/year. However, with both running side-by-side, you may want a larger screen model.

While I prefer the Apple solution, the beauty of BF is it works via Bluetooth. So most newer Android and Windows PDAs & laptops also work. That is obvious if you review the IRV2 thread above. Which is best for you, is up to you. Just make sure to purchase the appropriate BF Dongle

Sorry I have no BF experience with the LX/Cummins/6-pin connector (mine is 9). However, the snap pic below is from a thread 7 years ago about a effort to develop a similar product called RV Dash. In that WOG thread, DonB published a listing of the data that’s transmitted over the data ports. Later in that thread at post #69, JimD states his LX worked fine while beta testing the RV Dash. So, I’d bet yours will work just fine. If the data feed is there, BF can display it, and do so in the way you prefer.

Lastly, I spent 45 years “driving” with slightly more complex dashes - everything from C150’s to B787’s, and am well pleased with the BF solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81B81AF9-E4A9-45EA-B1AC-68B304290693.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	66260  
Old 02-13-2020

Thank you. I must admit to not reading every comment on Irv2 forum, I did read the posts here.I suppose what I was looking for was someone to tell me what was going to work best for my application. Maybe they did and I couldn't see it. When I got to the posts about writing programs etc I was lost and quit.

I ordered a Bluefire and grandson got a tablet somewhere that should work. He will also set up the screen for Grandma.

If the system turns out to be too 'techy' it can still be used on the MDT Freightliner M2's we have.

I am sure to have more questions for you. Thanks again, Mark
1986 Newell 40
1999 LX 40