Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 04-14-2013

We have used Pressure Pro since 2005 and have had super luck and service. First xmtrs lasted about 5.5 yrs and when 1 failed, replaced all 10 on coach and toad. after 1 year, one of the replacements failed and PP sent me a new on (returned bad one) at ship charge only. Bought PP after dragging a toad a few miles with blown front left tire - - - which scared me into going PP. Didn't want to drag a ball of fire.
PP has detected 3 nails (or other) on the toad with low pressure warnings.
We did switch to the newer panel which also monitors high tire temp, etc.
Would NEVER leave home without PP!!!
We do remove them when we are parked for long periods to minimize battery wear since each transmitter transmits about every 5 minutes when attached.

Ed & Carolyn Nowokunski
95BMC37 - Thunderchief
The Great Outdoors (TGO)
Titusville, Florida
Old 04-14-2013
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasnewski View Post
I have utilized Pressure Pro for several years without a complaint.

The truth be known, when the bus was built there was no tire monitor, just an air gauge and a tire knocker. Even today, on the truck I use a tire gauge and a tire knocker without complaint. I don't really know why I am so lazy on the Lodge. I just wanna look at a monitor I guess.

With today's tire quality if I had it to do it over, I might pass on the system.

Remember, we preach changing tires every 5-7 years, and drive on average 5000 miles per year.
Tire quality is good but all the coach/toad tire problems I've ever had were 'loss of air' due to punctures and faulty valves. A tire guage and walk around might have caught some before reaching the critical level of air loss, but not all. I subscribe to the advice that a 40% loss of air pressure is considered a run flat condition. Some tire industry people say the figure is 20% but in all cases they agree any tire run flat should be dismounted and checked internally.

http://www.tire-trader.com/articles/...erinflated.htm
Old 04-14-2013

Has anyone had one of these systems save their bacon on the coach tires? I was thinking this might help if the temperatures went up on the tires significantly. I've had three other coaches and in ten years of hard driving (30k per year) never had a problem but I was pretty good about buying new tires when I purchased each coach (believe it or not)... I'm just getting cheap in my older age...
Old 04-14-2013

I have been using Tire Minder tire senors for 6 years now.
Picked them because of self replacable batteries when needed.
Haven't had a problem with them since I got them.
I replace the batteries once a year as we travel fulltime.
I know they will send you batteries for 5 years when buying the Tire Minder from the company.
Have to removed a sensor when adding air, but no big deal.
Has showed low air about 3 times in 6 years now. Saved my tires I'm sure.
I monitor bus, car and trailer...total 12 tires.
Use Cross Fires on the duals of the bus. Good indicatiors.
Old 04-14-2013

Well I am convinced I have 3.5 bad ones. I say 3.5 because the new spare I used that seemed to work leaks and sends back erratic readings. One minute it is 35 the next 44. I can only assume it is just DOA. The tire I put it on last night was flat this morning. I can't imagine why I don't like these things.

I think I will call them when I land in Dallas and see if they will exchange them. I see people say work with them and they can fix it, but I just can't imagine what they would tell me I haven't tried. Maybe there is a better exchange price than new. I have seen people say that. I have seen that due to battery date, but don't know of they will exchange due to failure.

If I do get them fixed I think they will only be used on the towed to move location to location. They will not be left on.
Fruita Colorado
Old 04-14-2013
Geek

As Spencer and Chuck have noted, I left the Pressure Pro on Blue Thunder and installed the Truck Systems with flow-through sensors on the M380. I bought a lot of sensors for the PP over the 11 years I had it, and also exchanged several with the company for $25. Spencer says they are charging $35 for exchange now.

There are positives and negatives with the TST vs PP.

Positives: replaceable batteries. Fill without taking off the stem. Locking screws standard. Constant rotating readout. Extremely easy programming.

Negatives: unlike KC I needed a repeater to get consistent readings from the toad and even occasionally the drivers. The stems are long, and on my toad the way the stems angle out means that I have to be very careful of curbs so I don't break off a stem. For that reason I remove the toad sensors when I am not going to be towing for awhile. There is a simple three-second procedure to remove or add the toad to the display so it won't complain when they aren't reporting in.

In the picture below, my crudely lettered "Tire Pwr" button can be seen just to the left of the steering wheel in the bottom row of switches.

Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 04-14-2013
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairodice View Post
Has anyone had one of these systems save their bacon on the coach tires? I was thinking this might help if the temperatures went up on the tires significantly. I've had three other coaches and in ten years of hard driving (30k per year) never had a problem but I was pretty good about buying new tires when I purchased each coach (believe it or not)... I'm just getting cheap in my older age...
See my post #22. Yes it has prevented problems. How bad I don't know.
Old 04-14-2013

Interesting thread. Thank you all.

Dee and I don't have tire pressure monitors, but when we first bought the coach we went to the Tampa Bay RV show, looked at them, and thought that maybe we should. This is right after investing and getting new Michelins on our coach in Clearwater.

If I'm correct here, isn't under inflation the numero uno, cause of blow outs?

Someone was also talking about Equal. Hadn't heard of that before.

We have Centramatics to balance the tires. Or should I say had. But the one time we woke up in the morning with a complete flat, (scary because who knows if we had been driving on it low the day before, even though we always check in the morning at departure) was actually hanging off the rim, and Randy helped us out with a mobile service out of Gainesville.

When the guy came out, and he was really helpful. He found out the Centramatics was too small for the tire size, and Clearwater Michelin had installed it back on right over the stem valve on the new tire.

He took the Centramatics of both the low tire, and also the other front drive.

Next time, we will go to Gainesvillle Michelin.

Jen
Old 04-14-2013

What a timely thread for me. I need to replace the four drive tires and I've been thinking about putting a monitoring system on at that time. Wonder if I'll be able to get by for under $4000 for everything?
Build number 4371
Old 04-14-2013

TST also has a new internal model, batteries good for 7 years, this ones for you Tommy, scroll down to bottom of page after click on the link.

http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html