Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 05-03-2013

Default Whole coach on one 3g internet connection

I finally got my whole coach on ONE internet connection!
I have a Linksys EA6500 wireless router/Access Point and a Dlink DAP-1350 router/ap/client. It took several days of trying different settings but what finally worked was using my wife's 3g iPhone wirelessly tethered to the Dlink in Client mode. I then had to run a wire from the dlink to a Windows computer so I could get to the Dlink configuration screens. I set a static IP address in DLink of 172.20.10.6 and subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 gateway: 192.168.0.50 (which is the DLink default IP). This causes the Dlink to act as a 'gateway' of sorts to connect the cellphone data signal wirelessly to the Dlink and send that data through to the 'main' router (the Linksys in my case). The IP addresses cannot be on the same IP route (If I had used the DHCP from the Linksys router to set the address for the Dlink it would not have worked, don't ask me why, but I know it does not work...).
I finally plugged in my Sonos music machine (I LOVE this thing) and was streaming music in no time!
Now all I have to do is watch my data cap with Verizon!
I may go get a Sprint air card of some kind or a mifi to connect to it instead since it is mostly unlimited...

I know this is all very technical but I was just excited that it finally worked with junk that I had laying around not using.
The little portable 'pocket size' Dlink is an amazing router/client/ap that is very configurable and rock solid holding connections. I used it at work for handling a bunch of traffic full time and it did well.
Old 05-03-2013

good deal
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656

Last edited by Rick; 05-03-2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: not needed
Old 05-03-2013
Not so Junior anymore

Most people do not know the flexibility they get by using a AP or two on there networks. In the old days I built entire networks with only APs.
Towed 1986 Suzuki Samurai OR 2014 Jeep jk
Old 05-03-2013

We have a 3G stick from Millenicom, which gives us 20GB per month for $59.95 that runs on the Verizon network. That's ALL we have. We're running both our computers on that right now, and sometimes Jo Ann has her work computer on, too. When we travel we take the stick along. Now that we have a motor home we'll take the whole system. This doesn't connect to our cell phones at all.
Build number 4371
Old 05-03-2013

I like the Millenicom idea. Was thinking of getting either a Sprint phone or mifi so I could get unlimited data on it but their network is kinda spotty. Verizon works for us now and I may just add a mifi adapter so we can use 4g. I am using Karen's iPhone 4S now because my iPhone 5 stinks and keep disconnecting on hotspot mode...
I really like the idea of getting a satellite internet dish again, that way we can boondock whereever but the speed is so slow unless I figure out a decent way to get Exede or similar and just reinstall it every time we move ($50), which is not out of the question for faster speeds...
Old 05-03-2013

I have Verizon G4 MiFi... only wire is the wall plug in for the card... cell phones are not part of it... and I can run as many as 4 computers at a time... has worked for me for several years
"Heads Carolina, Tails California"
Old 05-03-2013
Goat rails in the sunset

Adrian--

Thanks for the report, I am still picturing my coach with a full wireless network, but haven't gotten around to it. You have an outdoor wireless antenna to pull in wireless networks at campgrounds or McDonald's, don't you?

I have a Verizon 890L -- it works like the MiFi but is made by ZTE.

Cellular signal inside the bus wasn't great, so I got one of those signal booster cradles. It boosts, alright, but not the signal from the cellular network tower, It only seems to boost the signal from the cradle to the 890L, which doesn't help much.

Then I got a Trucker antenna, mounted on the roof, and connected to the booster cradle through the cable passthrough on the roof. The 890L doesn't have a place to connect an external antenna, but the booster cradle does. The antenna helps hugely. We've hit only a few places on the I-5 corridor, in the mountains, where there isn't enough signal to browse the web. Works fine even while the coach is at speed.

Make sure you get a device that accepts an external antenna, that is the only way to go!
Full-time in 2019
Old 05-03-2013

A 3G Millenicom card and a cradlepoint router has served us well.

I can also use my 4G Droid Rzr and FoxFi and use my grandfathered unlimited data Verizon plan.

We use both a lot. She uses the 3G and I usually use the phone. We both used the phone but Verizon blocked FoxFi for a week or two and she is still happy happy happy on 3G with no reason to move back but it is there should she be having problems and vice versa.
Fruita Colorado
Old 05-03-2013

We were merrily working along today with ALL the devices (3ipads, 3 computers, sonos, appleTv, theatre server), when the Internet died... Found my wife in the bedroom using her cellphone to talk to her Mom about something I am sure was very important. Verizon does not allow a user to talk and use data at the same time...
I have not looked into putting an antenna outside yet, that is next (but not at the top) on the list.
Old 05-03-2013

You can talk and use the internet IF you are on 4G. 3G no.
Fruita Colorado