Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 01-13-2017
Goat rails in the sunset

Default Holding tank extra port

First things first, pic of what this quest i on is about

Then the thousand word edition:

have a question about the black water holding tank (street side, in past the two dump valves.

Looking in past the air-powered dump valves, i see a p-trap and i think it is for the shower drain. It hangs down above a flat surface of black metal and i think that is the top of the black water tank. On that flat metal surface, right below the shower drain trap, is what looks like a 4" threaded hole that looks like a port for a toilet or other drain pipe into the tank. It could be an expansion plug, like a freeze plug, for all i can tell looking in.

Does that ring any bells? I don't know if this is a common arrangement or even if it goes thru into the tank, maybe the metal surface is a cover for a plastic tank or something. All i can really see is a hole that looks threaded.

Uh, assuming you get what i'm trying to describe, do you (someone, anyone) know if that hole/port is supposed to be plugged? And where to source the plug that goes into that hole? Last time i was in there (setting up a lightbulb to ward off freezing nights) i thought i saw a plastc plug, but now it looks not plugged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	46810  
Full-time in 2019

Last edited by nbedinger; 01-13-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2017

I just looked and I have the same port. I have no idea about the intended purpose but it is an excellent place to tap into the tank should one have the need.
Auburn, Alabama
Old 01-14-2017
Goat rails in the sunset

Default Solved!

Thanks, much obliged for the check. I took another look and there is a cap inside tHe port. it is recessed into the air port, looks like a jerry can lid. So, the cap is like a cup. it collected water that has recently begun to drip from the drain. What's worse, i saw a layer of stuff on the water, like pond scum. The illusion of an open port into a full tank was reet complete, to me, by the time i saw that

The rest of the story is that we've had a week of hard freezes at night, leaving icicles hanging from the holding tank bay in the morning. That is a sight that motivates. Jane took it as a sign we should head south, ha thats my girl. She's right, of course, there'd be no freeze-damaged drain, this never would have happened if we were in Quartzsite when the freeze hit Puget Sound. Still, I wouldn't want to try outrunning the cold while suspecting a black tank failure, that's asking for a Big Bill and a hard time everywhere we stop.

Did you make an Alaska trip this past summer? I remember you had plans along those lines, but haven't seen much of you since.
Full-time in 2019
Old 01-14-2017

Glad to hear you discovered you really did not have a problem after all. Jane is most definitely right in thinking warmer weather is calling! A good road trip is always a good thing. It is hard to believe our Alaska adventure was nearly two years in the past. We managed a few shorter trips last year, the longest to south west Colorado as our first grand baby arrived last June. For some reason it kept us closer to home for awhile. Looking toward a spring adventure when it warms up - only about 75 deg here yesterday with bountiful sunshine.
Auburn, Alabama
Old 02-02-2017
Goat rails in the sunset

75,hmmph. Thats more like the windspeed around here this winter.
Nice to be deep in the south when northwind blow, which they do, they sure do.

Grands in Colorado, congrats!

I may turn this drip leak tank question into a new thread--i left the fw pump on yestiddy and came back to find a puddle under the dump valve bay. No sign of water anywhere inside or in dump bay, but i can see where it was dribbling out. up high in the street side drive wheel well. It looks a little like a drain exit up in there, but water tank is down so i guess i know whats coming. Good news, i have a big soap shelf recessed and siliconed into the water wall of shower. I'll be in there with a borescope by evening, maybe aseembling pex by midnight.
Full-time in 2019

Last edited by nbedinger; 02-02-2017 at 05:20 PM. Reason: aye fixed stuff
Old 02-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post
75,hmmph. Thats more like the windspeed around here this winter.
Nice to be deep in the south when northwind blow, which they do, they sure do.

Grands in Colorado, congrats!

I may turn this drip leak tank question into a new thread--i left the fw pump on yestiddy and came back to find a puddle under the dump valve bay. No sign of water anywhere inside or in dump bay, but i can see where it was dribbling out. up high in the street side drive wheel well. It looks a little like a drain exit up in there, but water tank is down so i guess i know whats coming. Good news, i have a big soap shelf recessed and siliconed into the water wall of shower. I'll be in there with a borescope by evening, maybe aseembling pex by midnight.
That's where one of my A/C drains is.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 02-03-2017
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
That's where one of my A/C drains is.
I had hopes! But found wetness behind sink, in the floor raceway. The original gray pipes are flimsy and one looks to have developed a leaky joint. Looking back, I think this has been going on a while (I had been thinking it was a leaky cap on the dump pipe) so I'm looking at it as maintenance, not the result of recent freeze. I think the way it leaks into the tire well indicates that water accumulates on the floor and somehow gets outside thru the wall into tire well. Hope it isn't rust! The inner wall has two cut-outs at floor level where I can see water on the floor, and I can see batting insulation in the cutouts, so I reckon this is the scene of the crime.

I did a test by turning on the pump and watching the wet area in the raceway. The wet area got wetter. I couldn't see water leaking out of the pipes, but the wetness is right there where the pipe tees to provision the lav faucet.

Does anyone have tips for releasing the sink/vanity so it will slide out and give me room to run new pipe to bedroom and shower? The vanity is on road side, sandwiched between wallpapered showr wall and wallpapered closet wall. IfI can get the sink and vanity out, the rest of the job looks straight-forward. I have a tile floor in the bathroom.
Full-time in 2019
Old 06-20-2019
Goat rails in the sunset

Default leak summary

Yes it was the original gray polybutylene pipes under bathroom sink and behind shower valve that were leaking, and the drippage found its way thru floor into bay below. That is all street-side.

Repair involved pulling the bottom pantry and cutting an access hole into the space below the shower. Fed a run of pex up to shower valve and shower head, and joined it to new pex run under sink. I didn't try to slide the vanity out, just crawled inside it. So I have all new hot and cold feed plumbing to sink and shower.

My SP36 water plumbing wraps around 3 sides of the back half of the coach. So this became my pex project--not because I have any more leaks but because after doing the sink and shower, it feels like it is my turn to get rid of the original gray pipes before they leak again...

So, I carried the pex on down the street side to back of bed room, then around the engine (under island bed) to curb side. There's a lot more water-related plumbing on curb side: the water bay with drain, pump, and water heater, and then the bathroom with 100 gallon water storage and toilet, and the kitchen with sink and U-line ice maker are all curb side.

I have added all pex under kitchen sink.
And the water bay is all pex.

So the end points are pex'd, I just need a 15-ft run of new hot and cold pex to connect it all up. And that I've had no luck in doing. The curb side passage to the kitchen runs behind toilet, water tank/wardrobe, and kitchen counter, and it is crammed with 120V wiring, plumbing, hydronic radiators, ...

Even with a flexible borescope and fiberglass rod (typically used for pulling wires), over many tries with the bath in stages of disassembly, I haven't managed to run it thru there yet.

I don't like the idea of my plumbing project being stymied by the simple-sounding task of guiding new pex thru bath and kitchen passage. I'm going to need a new plan for getting that done.
Full-time in 2019

Last edited by nbedinger; 06-20-2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: poetic license