Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 10-29-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRasman View Post
No , Non lift tag. I thought the steerable tags on the coaches are passive (steering). Ones I’ve seen on trucks mainly are. Spring loaded with hydraulic dampening. Got to be a reason Prevost sell them. I would love to take a box turn and not have to hit the switch. In my Lx, I have to hit the switch twice. Once going in and once after the turn. It’s not automatic unless I’m impatient. I don’t think so. I forgot to put the pressure back on coming home from the WOG for about half an hour. I hit a bump on I75 and I thought I broke something (drive axel). It was a large bang. Shook the coach. Looked everything over and so far it’s okay. Drove another 400 miles after that. I love to learn more about a steerable and if some are out there in breaker yards.

Lets start a new thread on this Chris.
WE are having thread drift in a big way.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-29-2019

Sorry, thanks
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 10-29-2019
Forum owner

Steve,if you follow Kevs lead and have another axle welded to your mounts you will be good to go.
I have several axles that can be welded to your mounts.
Kev reports it took less than a day to do that welding.
My axles are formed tube drop axles like the one Kev bought.
I have 2 here at my place and one more at a coach i have stored near Pine Mountain.
I would disable the lift part of the axle if it was mine.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I would disable the lift part of the axle if it was mine.

For those of us who have lift axles and are concerned about using that function, currently I do not lift mine, is it possible to convert it to dump only?

Dale & Lynn Cash
Kimball, MI
1997 WB43
Old 10-29-2019

Dale,

It should be pretty easy; disconnect and cap the lines leading to the lift bags. Remove the lift bags. Presto; no more lift. Optional: disconnect, cap lines, and remove the valves that control the lift bags.

If I replace the axle instead of rewelding (and Coachcraft is currently recommending I do that) it will be with a non-lift axle from Randy. Dumping the bags should be good enough to do what I need to do. I've got a 12 ton bottle jack if I need to lift the axle up off the ground.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 10-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahansm View Post
It should be pretty easy; disconnect and cap the lines leading to the lift bags. Remove the lift bags. Presto; no more lift. Optional: disconnect, cap lines, and remove the valves that control the lift bags.

Thanks Stephen.

I'm treading on new territory here as with many things on this bird. I'd like to tackle this and I believe I understand what you are saying but I'm looking to going a step further and modifying the tag to dump. This would give the tag some relief on tight maneuvers.

Any thoughts?

Dale

Dale & Lynn Cash
Kimball, MI
1997 WB43
Old 10-29-2019

If you already have a lifting tag then following those steps will allow you to dump the air in the tag bags, reducing the loading on the tag tires to basically the weight of the tag axle. If you don't have a lifting tag then you'll have to add dump valves like the ones on the steer axle (along with the appropriate additional air source for the dump valves) and the additional wiring, solenoids (relays) and a switch.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 10-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahansm View Post
If you already have a lifting tag then following those steps will allow you to dump the air in the tag bags.

Got it, just took a minute to sink in. I do have the lifting tag axle.

This will be added to my off season projects.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dale & Lynn Cash
Kimball, MI
1997 WB43
Old 10-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcash View Post
For those of us who have lift axles and are concerned about using that function, currently I do not lift mine, is it possible to convert it to dump only?

I have a lift axle. Just replaced air bags on it and had it inspected. It all looks good right now, but I do lift it. The stress on the axle is great if you don't lift it. I believe the damage occurs from that stress in tight cornering when you do not lift it. I had a liftable tag on our Prevost XL and I got in the habit of always lifting it while turning. I would be curious as to what others with lift axles do and if those that have had problems might not be in the habit of using the lift feature as often as they should. If you are like me, you really don't know what any of the previous owners might have done, so its probably hard to tell what the cause really is.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 10-30-2019

I have one of the non lift, no steer tags. I gather only the weight of the actual axle is on the tires when I dump the air when I turn. I don't hear any rubber dragging when I turn and I don't see any rubber on the road. Its when I turn in dirt do I see the scrubbing. I imagine the tag tires will be the most mistreated over time and need replacing more than the drive tires. I swapped my 4 year old steers for the old tag tires when I got new steers this past summer. I think that will be the way to go for a while.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835