Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 07-03-2011

Default External LPG connection

We received, as a gift, a new LP two burner bbq that looks like it will fit nicely in one of Ruby's cargo bins. The coach came with an external quick disconnect for LP on the passenger rear side panel. Our coach is a 1986 FC35RB.

Does anyone else have this connection and if so is the connection pressure regulated? Hoping to use our new BBQ on Tuesday night and will need to get additional connections so we can christen the new Q.

Thanks everyone.
1986 FCRB35
1988 Toy toad
Old 07-03-2011
Gardner

Jeff,
Generally the quick connect port is NOT pressure regulated. You need to keep the regulator that came with the grill in the line. Otherwise you end up with a smelting forge
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-03-2011

Talking External LPG connection

Got it, thanks Gardner.

Love your humor man.
1986 FCRB35
1988 Toy toad
Old 07-03-2011

Not sure about the difference in '83 and '86 FC's, but my auxiliary connection which is right by the LP tank and behind the Racor does have a regulator in line. If there is a regulator anywhere hooked up near the tank I would suspect it would go to that external connection. The line to the reefer and furnaces is unregulated until it gets to the regulator behind the reefer. I tried to hook up a regulated grill to mine, and it was the exact opposite of Gardner's smelting forge.........mine turned into a slow cooker.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 07-03-2011
Gardner

Dan,
I figured that some do have a regulator, nothing is certain, that's for sure. I try to not make blanket statements about things because it can lead people to take it for a hard fact. So I inserted the word 'generaly' in my first post. But true to this forums membership, you added a second experience giving Jeff a better idea of what to look for.

Tom Sorentino and I hooked his grill up to his coach without a regulator at the grill and it was an interesting experience. That's where the forge idea came from. A closer inspection would have been a better idea.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-03-2011
Consistently clueless

My 90 has an in line, hard piped regulator before the quick disconnect. The connector appears to be either an add-on or modification because it is standard NPT used for air, so the regulator may be an add-on too.

1990 WB-40 Royal Conversion
GS 810327023 -- FMCA 421581 -- SKP 109591

"[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]"
Walt Kelly, 08/25/1913 - 10/18/1973
Old 07-03-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Jeff,

it looks like it's time for you to do some hunting and searching, here is a picture of the external propane gas grill hookup regulator on my 'Bird, if I reach inside of the door where the propane coupler for the gas grill line is located I can feel and see it there right next to the shutoff valve for that line and the propane coupler.

I also added an extra external propane tank coupler right before that regulator for use during my extended stays during the winter months here in South Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I took the advice from Curt Sprenger and purchased a quick connect coupler setup from http://www.mbsturgis.com/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GAS GRILL HOOKUPsm.jpg
Views:	1179
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	11016  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-03-2011
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddawanderer View Post
We received, as a gift, a new LP two burner bbq that looks like it will fit nicely in one of Ruby's cargo bins. The coach came with an external quick disconnect for LP on the passenger rear side panel. Our coach is a 1986 FC35RB.

Does anyone else have this connection and if so is the connection pressure regulated? Hoping to use our new BBQ on Tuesday night and will need to get additional connections so we can christen the new Q.

Thanks everyone.
At the risk of beating this subject to death, I will repeat what has already been said. Its important. Factory set up on our 83 has grill quick connection regulated to low pressure. This IS THE SAFE, and I believe required way to do it.

Nevertheless, some have modified their coach to accommodate their grills that are equipped with high pressure regulators and use high pressure hose to grill. Not supposed to do this.

Instead, modify the grill by removing high pressure regulator and installing a control valve to accomidate low pressure hose from quick connect (factory set up) on Bird.

This subject comes up frequently. Suggest you read the following thread "Explosive Post"

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ill+connection

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 07-03-2011

Tomorrow, before the ground get's too hot to cook breakfast on, I will get under Ruby and see just what she is offering. Can't see or feel anything other than LPG gas hose. As the last post noted the safe thing is a regulated line, for sure.

For the record and in the interest of further validation for all of our Bird friends I will repost again tomorrow and let you all know just what I found.

The wife and I want to use the BBQ not become the BBQ'd.

Thank you to all.
1986 FCRB35
1988 Toy toad
Old 07-04-2011

Update----

I tracked the pipe as far as I could see it and then checked the tank too. All connections leaving the tank are regulated, in my case there are two regulators.

As Bill indicated, and after thinking about it, to have an unregulated line on the coach would make it extremely unsafe.

Thanks everyone again for your input. Now I am off to locate a replacement hose for the new BBQ and then light it up to make sure everything works just right before we hit the road.

This will actually be our first real trip after picking her up. Going down to Eloy to get her toe nails done (rims polished) then up to the Rim to get out of the heat for a few days.
1986 FCRB35
1988 Toy toad