Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 04-04-2013

Default Should I Buy a Bird?

I have only posted on this forum a couple of times, but I have been poking around here for a few years now and feel that the time is right to dive into buying a Wanderlodge. I recently took a trip to California (from Cincinnati) to visit family, and realized that CA is the place for me. I'm in my mid 20s, no wife, kids, or career (yet) to tie me down. I've been toying with the idea of heading to CA and live full time in a coach there. During my stay I saw many RVs on the road and parked in various places, however from what I've read, an RV park would be the best fit for me as long as I find somewhere affordable. My question is: Is a Wanderlodge a good fit for this type of adventure? I'm a school bus driver, so I drive a Blue Bird every day and have always admired the Wanderlodge line as well as the following that it has. (I even have a Blue Bird tattoo!) Through my research I have found that quality is key..especially if you are full timing..and I know that is a major selling point of Birds. I'm just not sure if such a large investment will be worth it, especially adding in maintenance costs. Will I be bogged down maintaining all of the complicated systems of an old coach? Should I be looking at much less expensive vehicles? These are the questions I'm hoping to resolve before even browsing the classifieds to heavily.
To give you an idea of what type of Bird I'm keen on..I've always been interested in the 82-86 FC models. These have all the amenities I'm looking for and can fit in my budget if I find the right coach. I also like how they resemble their school bus counterparts of that era. I've always been a tinkerer, so fixing and maintaining basic to moderate issues isn't a major concern for me..just the chassis and powertrain issues that arise.

Sorry for the rambling..I have many questions and have been doing a ton of research so it all starts to run together. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Sid
Old 04-04-2013
Administrator

Sid, welcome ,
The best way to get a quick overview is to stop at the Ohio Mile April 26,27,28 in Wilmington, Oh.
Visit a few Birds, owners and ask a lot of questions.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=15925
Old 04-04-2013

Default Oh yeah

Sid, if you are looking for a few people to help you make the jump into the best quality coach money can buy, there are a couple of thousand on this forum that will do that. Every time I step into an SOB, I am thankful I bought a Wanderlodge. And when an SOB owner steps into my BB, they agree with me. no other coach will turn more heads. There is not another coach made that has the value that the BB has. A friend bought a new Prevost recently and he is headed to the dealer with a list three pages long. Admittedly, all coaches will have things needing fixing, but the used BB will be a million dollars cheaper and at least as good. It does help to be handy, though.
IMOO
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816

Last edited by markbragdon; 04-04-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-04-2013

I don't think it's a BAD idea. You have to look at the expenses pretty carefully. $20,000 BB's are never just that. (If you've been following on the forum that's pretty apparent to you) You have to live some where. Don't know what the monthly rates might be at RV parks and no doubt that would vary depending on a multitude of factors. Apartments wouldn't be cheap but how things would compare I guess is the answer.

I think it could work and at least if you don't like your neighbors or the neighborhood you could easily move.

Devils in the details.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 04-04-2013

Since you already have a Bluebird tattoo I think you are stuck with owning a Bluebird coach......

I agree with Bill, come on over to Wilmington and see some birds !
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 04-04-2013

Thank you all for the responses so far! I'm a member of a few forums and I've always found this site to be one of the most welcoming and informative. This is a jump that I've been excited to take, but I want to make the most informed decisions possible..this is a great place to get honest advice.

John, One of my main reasons for choosing an RV over an apartment is the ability to move to a faraway place without the stress of an apartment lease or a mortgage. I can always pack up and go home if I don't like it or can't find a decent job.

I am definitely planning on checking out Wilmington this month. I attempted to find an event near me, but somehow I missed it. I hope you all don't mind being bugged by my curiosity!
Old 04-04-2013

What everybody else has said so far plus the model and years you are looking at are not as complicated as the newer ones and will be much easier maintained. If you have any mechanical skills or aptitudes at all you won't have that much trouble and won't be sorry. These things are tanks and will last you a long time.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-04-2013

Just get a Bird, you will love it. My wife and I have lived in coaches for nearly 15 years full time, just got our Bird in Jan this year. We love her and even though she is old there is nothing wrong we can't fix. California might be expensive. Check Rv park rate and alot of mobile home parks allow RVs too, we are in one in downtown Dallas now,$350 per month including utils plus lots of free entertainment, police helicopters, sirens and shootings... But we feel safe with lots of steel, a killer Maltese and a thing that cops wear...
Old 04-05-2013

My only thought is no motorhome sits well. So even though you will be camped I recommend a periodic drive to keep things working and lubricated.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 04-05-2013

Hey Justin, whether a Wanderlodge is a good thing for you is a difficult question to answer. It really all depends on you and what you are looking for and can tolerate. You yourself probably wouldn't know until you tried it for 6 months or so. I speak from the experience of living on a sail boat.

Anyway, there is what appears to be a pretty nice bird in Dublin Ohio for $12,500. That leaves you a lot of cash left over for repairs and/or upgrades.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/bar/3676389432.html

Good luck,
Dan