Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 04-14-2013

Default Very disappointed in PressurePro sensors

I have bought 19 sensors total in 2 years. Not extra just 19 total for 12 tires to monitor. I have now had 9 go bad in less than 2 years and need to buy more now as two tires on the towed have none now. I know one I have is very flakey on the towed.

These things are $50 a piece.

Am I the only one? Am I do something wrong? Is there basic care and feeding to these sensors to keep them working?

Like I say I am very disappointed, but don't see many complaints, so I am confused. Do they just monitor the internet like some RV repair shops I have seen, making everyone think there are no isues?

At $50 each there should be a several year warranty.

I may abandon the towed monitoring due to cost and just monitor the Coach.

Help, any thoughts, suggestions, similar experiences?

I go months not having to touch them and then go months where they have to be turned off reset etc nearly on a daily basis.

Thanks!
Fruita Colorado
Old 04-14-2013
Forum Moderator

George something sounds fishy here. Is it possible you bought from some company that had defective/used or otherwise compromised equipment. Maybe an aftermarket re-furbisher that had poor quality control??? Just asking because mine have worked flawlessly for going on 7 years. Of course I have replaced the original four that I first put on my toad but that was due to battery life. I now have them on all 8 coach tires as well.

Last edited by Rob Robinson; 04-14-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2013
Administrator

We purchased from Stephen about 7 years ago. One sensor DOA replaced under warranty, we monitor 10 tires. I do remove them when in storage several months per year. This is supposed to help with battery life.
A few questions: Do you use Equal??
Is moisture getting into the tire air from shop compressor air, possibly leading to freezing?? The air pressure in the tires changes depending on ambient temp, elevation, & slow leaks, leading to additional alarms.
The monitor will remember the program with or with out power,but occationally a sensor needs to be reinstalled.
Old 04-14-2013

I researched everything on the market at the time and decided on a TST (truck systems technology) system. 12 sensors. 8 on coach & 4 for whatever I may be towing. They have replaceable batteries which they claim last approx. 1 year. I have several that are 3 years old and still kicking. These also monitor tire temp. Did not need a repeater. I am happy.
FWIW I believe units on toad make more sense - you never know what's going on back there
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 04-14-2013

Quote:
Do you use Equal??
I don't know what that is?

I am starting to think that maybe the valve cores on my toad are too short. I think I will start somewhere in there. I think nearly all failures have been on the toad. Great, maybe I won't spend another $200 I didn't plan on.
Fruita Colorado
Old 04-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Roberts View Post

I am starting to think that maybe the valve cores on my toad are too short. I think I will start somewhere in there. I think nearly all failures have been on the toad. Great, maybe I won't spend another $200 I didn't plan on.
hi George
equal is product that is put inside tires to balance them
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 04-14-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Roberts View Post

Equal is a small grain like tire balancing product, it is discussed here Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > Tire/Wheel Balancing

http://www.imiproducts.com/index.php/products/equal/

It requires the use of special valve stems, which if not used along with Pressure Pro's and some similar products can allow the Equal to contaminate the unit. Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > Equal Valve Stem Cores

I have had excellent performance from my Pressure Pro tire monitors, that I purchased through Stephen Birtles at Dupree Products.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-14-2013

I have them on Blue Thunder. I have been told that the Company will exchange the bad or used ones for a discount. I contacted Pressure Pro by email and about 2 weeks later got a response (email) and they do offer a discount but it's not much. I think they have raised their prices alot in the past couple of years.
I wonder if Pressure Pro would sell directly to WOG members.
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder
Old 04-14-2013

Three years I bought a "much touted" (on the internet of course - " Uh...bonjour") Hawkshead TMPS. I was happy at first and the system seemed to function as intended. Well, across the US to the west coast in July, the sensors (coach and toad) all began to fail or "lie". Hawkshead replaced them all under warranty. The condition replicated itself and contacting Hawkshead, I was told, "... we're sorry, that system has been discontinued".

I use no system now and I'm convinced, anything other than a system that is built into the tire wheel system (like Martha's Mini) are no good and a waste of money.

If somebody can convince me otherwise, I might try it, but I'll still rely on crossed fingers, my IR Thermometer and tire knocker.
Old 04-14-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schamp View Post
I have them on Blue Thunder. I have been told that the Company will exchange the bad or used ones for a discount. I contacted Pressure Pro by email and about 2 weeks later got a response (email) and they do offer a discount but it's not much. I think they have raised their prices alot in the past couple of years.
I wonder if Pressure Pro would sell directly to WOG members.
Stephen Birtles arranged for a group buy of them when I first purchased mine several years ago, Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > Vendors > Dupree Products

Stephen is a Blue Bird owner himself and a member of this forum. For telephone orders ONLY, please call 1-888-668-4288 between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM Eastern Time, Monday to Friday. For other assistance please call, 1-716 220 1267

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11