Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 03-30-2014

Default Adding Temp Sensor to my MT643

Since last summer I have been planning on adding a temperature guage to my 83FC. It didn't come with one. I called Allison and had them send me a Tee fitting. It has a male boss O ring fitting on one end, a female boss on the other end and on the side is where the sensor screws in with a couple pipe fitting adapters. It appears to attach to the transmission where the cooler line attaches. I have the dog house removed and I am having new tranny cooler lines made this weekend. A perfect time to install the T fitting. Here's the problem.

I have remove the tranny cooler hose from the very top of the tranny, remove the fitting into the transmission and the T will screw nicely into the transmission. The problem is on the other end of the T I can't screw in the boss fitting I removed off the tranny because the female end of the T is metric. It looks to be the identical diameter and from eye balling it looks identical but the threads don't match and when I measured them they look to be metric. My guage says they have a 1.75 thread pitch which also seems to be an oddball size. Of course the the old packaging from Allison is long gone.

1. Is there an unused port or another place on the transmission I can measure temperature? I don't want to drill into the pan. I just did an oil and filter change.
2. Anyone have the correct part number for temp sensor Tee?
3. Any other great ideas?

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 03-30-2014

How about where the line goes into the transmission cooler?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-01-2014

I talked the Allison and they set me straight. I was wrong and they were right. The Tee I got from them is meant to screw into the top of the tranny where the external cooler line attaches. Except, the bulkhead O ring fitting that is removed from the transmission is not intended to screw into the other end of the Tee. Although the Tee looks like you could do this, that was not the design. The other end of the Tee is tapped with 3/4" NPT threads. Once I got a 3/4" NPT to 3/4 JIC fitting, I could reconnect the cooler lines.

My next job is to tackle the transmission modulater cable. It doesn't slide smoothly like I am expecting it to. With the bottom end disconnected from the tranny (and 6 quarts of oil captured), and top end disconnected from the pump linkage, I expect a smooth back and forth movement. I tried lubricating it with no luck. It looks like another call to Allison to replace it.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 04-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKuhlman View Post
I talked the Allison and they set me straight. I was wrong and they were right. The Tee I got from them is meant to screw into the top of the tranny where the external cooler line attaches. Except, the bulkhead O ring fitting that is removed from the transmission is not intended to screw into the other end of the Tee. Although the Tee looks like you could do this, that was not the design. The other end of the Tee is tapped with 3/4" NPT threads. Once I got a 3/4" NPT to 3/4 JIC fitting, I could reconnect the cooler lines.

My next job is to tackle the transmission modulater cable. It doesn't slide smoothly like I am expecting it to. With the bottom end disconnected from the tranny (and 6 quarts of oil captured), and top end disconnected from the pump linkage, I expect a smooth back and forth movement. I tried lubricating it with no luck. It looks like another call to Allison to replace it.

Tim

Tim, If that throttle position cable is an Allison part please post the # for others to use. I suspect you will find its a Blue Bird # but hope Im wrong.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-01-2014

Tim[/QUOTE]

Tim, Don't know how you lubed your cable, but there is a cable lubing device you can pick up at a motorcycle shop. Also you can disconnect at the upper end, tape a small funnel to the cable housing and fill with your favorite Marvel Mystery Oil and let it gravity feed down the cable. Air throttle will also solve the cable dilemma. Hope this helps.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 04-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Tim, If that throttle position cable is an Allison part please post the # for others to use. I suspect you will find its a Blue Bird # but hope Im wrong.
I talked to Allison. They said they don't sell the modulator cable. They said that is an aftermarket part that is provided by the vehicle manufacturer. They suggested I contact Morse or Speedo Service & Instruments. Morse shows the modulator the cable has to be measured for ordering: http://www.controlcables.com/custom-modulator-cables/

Custom Controls sells a replacement unit that will fit the MT600 series transmission and several other Allison models. I believe the actual assembly is made by Orscheln https://www.cccables.com/controls/modulator.aspx

I am going to call Speedometer Service & Instruments tomorrow and see if I can get a cable from them. They have a facility 10 minutes away from my office. Before I call them I need to measure the exact length of my existing cable. From the information on their webpage, it sounds like they make these to custom lengths. I believe they also us Orscheln components. http://www.speedometerserviceportlan...rtland_OR.html

When I get a part number, I will post it.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35

Last edited by TKuhlman; 04-03-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: I made a correction
Old 04-03-2014
Administrator

Try this cable co. we have used in the past

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/part_family.php?id=3
Old 04-30-2014

I want to add a electric transmission temperature gauge also. Would you have a phone number and contact person at Allison to get information to do this? Thanks
Rich
Old 05-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLECRUZER View Post
I want to add a electric transmission temperature gauge also. Would you have a phone number and contact person at Allison to get information to do this? Thanks
Rich
I will look for the part number and get this posted.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 05-01-2014

The Allison part number for the Temperature sensor Tee is #6882099. I just saw one posted on Ebay for $17.95. I ordered mine directly from Pacific Power Products in Ridgefield Wa. They are not too far from my house but I remember paying more than $17.95. https://www.pacificdda.com/

You will also need to get a 3/4" pipe thread male to 3/4 male flare (JIC) with a 45 degree angle to reconnect your cooler hose. You can't reuse the old fitting you removed from the top of the transmission to insert the Tee. I was able to get this 45 degree fitting from my local NAPA.

Here is that link to the tranny Tee on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6882099-ALLI...-/360482886922

Allison also sells a temperature guage if you want to go authenitic. It is part number 6880751. I decided to go with a good Autometer guage and sensor.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35