Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > How To Protect Your RV Investment.

How To Protect Your RV Investment. This forum is set up to discuss insurance needs, terminology & where to go to get the best possible coverage for your needs. From time to time we will discuss the issues and differences in insurance coverage. When would an appraisal be in your best interest & how often should you have an appraisal and where one could obtain a certified appraisal.

Site Search:

Old 08-05-2015

Default Trouble getting temporary binder of insurance to bring our new bird home - help?

I'm in a bit of a quandary in getting a temporary insurance binder to get our 'new to us' 78FC from OH to BC where we will be making our new home.

The complication goes something like this:

I am a Canadian citizen, born in BC, however for the last 15 years I have been a permanent resident of Australia. My Australian wife and I have purchased our BB and are taking possession in OH, with the intention of driving it back to the West Coast and importing it via Sumas border crossing into BC, where we will take up 'residence' at my sister's home as we intend to be full time travelling in our coach.

The Ohio BMV will not issue me with temporary tags unless I can provide evidence of insurance, fair enough.

The government monopoly insurer in BC (ICBC) will not provide me temporary insurance (i.e. binder) as I have not yet reestablished residency in BC.

Our Australian insurers simply will not even consider coverage for foreign vehicles overseas, full stop.

I am not a resident of OH or any other US state (as I am not a US Citizen) although I do have a Cel# and Postal Address in WA state (a mail forwarding outfit).

Any ideas, suggestions or recommendation would be greatly appreciated here as our journey might end up going kaput before it even gets started and a road trip across America on the back of a flat deck just doesn't have the same romance to it...

Old 08-05-2015

No guts no glory. Sorry couldn't help my self. That is a crazy deal got to be a way. I will ask my brother he is a dual sitizen Australian, us
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 08-05-2015
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

I have no idea whether this would be an option but maybe something similar to a Montana LLC would work... if they have something like that in Canada?

http://www.bennettlawofficepc.com/registration-services.html
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 08-05-2015

No one in Ohio will sell you a policy?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 08-05-2015

Curtis,
Please do not be offended! Ohio treats US citizens in the same fashion ��

My suggestion (fwiw) - is it possible to get the title sent via Fedex to your sister, have her register and insure it then Fedex the plates, registration and insurance info back to you? This way you avoid the DMV totally. I had to do this when I bought a fifth wheel horse trailer. Took a few extra days but I avoided the folks at DMV

Frances
1989 SP36
apdefreit@hotmail.com (Alan)
fadefreitas@outlook.com (Frances)
Old 08-05-2015

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
No one in Ohio will sell you a policy?
I'm going to visit a few insurers here 'in person' Crit, in the hopes they will understand my situation and be a little more accomodating than my email enquiries from Australia were. Failing that, my beautiful wife may have to turn on the Aussie drawl and charm them a bit!
Old 08-05-2015

Registering it in the US will not help . Taxes will have to be paid and crossing the border will be a hassle. Then when you want CDN plates, more taxes.

Consider having your sister buy it, and insure it with you as a driver. Later you can transfer ownership within family ..no taxes. (Check that for sibling to sibling but it is ok parent to child)

She may have to be present at border crossing. (The US exportation is the difficult part ).

Last edited by iamflagman; 08-05-2015 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Edited because of WOG Guidelines violation
Old 08-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_downunder View Post
...My biggest challenge at the moment is trying to organise a temporary binder of insurance... As Ohio BMV won't issue me temporary tags without insurance...
Sure you considered this but in lieu of insurance, in most states you can provide other "proof of financial responsibility". For the short period you need to get your transfer paperwork in order, might be an option? Ohio specifically mentions:

"Surety bond of $30,000 issued by an authorized surety company;
BMV bond secured by real estate having equity of at least $60,000;"
Old 08-06-2015

Fingers crossed, I think we've solved our problem, unlikely as it seems it was a lovely lady at the Ohio BMV who went above and beyond to find the answers for us and even gave us the specific articles and chapters to quote when we go in, just in case there are any issues. Proof will be in the morning when we go in to do the transfer - I'll report back on how we go of course but according to the BMV I do not need to provide evidence of insurance to get a temporary tag, only certify to them that the vehicle is insured for public liability, which we have under our travel insurance, they don't actually want to see it. On my second issue of needing a Canadian drivers license (mine is Australian) she researched it and confirmed that my Canadian passport, along with my Aussie license, should be sufficient. So I did not need to purchase a binder of insurance after all it seems... Not sure what may happen at the border during the import, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it (and get the ITN underway once the the transfer is complete).

thanks to everyone for their support and suggestions, fingers crossed it all goes without a hitch tomorrow morning!
Old 08-07-2015

Default Trouble getting temporary binder of insurance to bring our new bird home - help?

Curtis:
You will have to fax the registration of the coach to the border at Sumas 3 days in advance so they can do a lien check etc. Also that part of service of importing a vehicle is only done from 8 to 5 pm.
Once you get to the Canadian border though, I am pretty sure that you will have to have the US papers filled in plus show them a vehicle insurance.
Good luck.