Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-30-2014
Steelwheels's Avatar
Steelwheels Steelwheels is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque & Downers Grove
Posts: 1,291
Default Master-tow tow dolly behind 35fc

I am planning to tow a 2004 Toyota Sienna Mini van behind my 87 35fc on a Master-tow tow dolly with electric brakes. I do have a brake controller but no receiver hitch do I need to buy anything in particular or can I just go with any receiver hitch that is up to the load I think its about 4800 pounds with the dolly included ? I was a little concerned about the height of the birds hitch and the angle of the tow dolly once hooked up ?
TIA
__________________
Kiki B
Downers Grove, IL
87fc35

Last edited by Steelwheels; 12-30-2014 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-30-2014
jwmp's Avatar
jwmp jwmp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Murrells Inlet
Posts: 843
Default

I would install a Class III or IV receiver and an appropriate drop down to make the tow dolly ride level.
__________________
Jerry Polston
1998 LXi
Murrells Inlet, SC
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-30-2014
dmurdock's Avatar
dmurdock dmurdock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cedar Park
Posts: 1,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmp View Post
I would install a Class III or IV receiver and an appropriate drop down to make the tow dolly ride level.
Agree 100% and get them to mount that receiver as low as you can - I'm using a 10" drop to get my towbar level.
__________________
DuWayne & Shannon Murdock
Cedar Park, Texas
1995 BMC37 Sold
1984 FC35RB Sold
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2014
Driver's Avatar
Driver Driver is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 555
Default

If it were my coach I'd have the receiver hitch tucked up as High as possible... much less chance of dragging it on every driveway dip and road transition in your travels. Let the ball mount insert for the receiver do the Height Conversion (easy) or have the tow dolly modified to accept a higher hitch height (difficult).

SmittyBilt has a 8 Inch drop rated for 500/5,000 lbs. I'm sure there are others as well if I kept looking. Look in Off Road/Jeep parts as the tall four-wheelers have already addressed this issue with towing ski boats and RV's.
__________________

Ken - Austin, Texas -
'94 34' Safari Serengeti sold - Mom remarried @71 and they upgraded to a newer Coach w/Slides


(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2014
Crit Bliss's Avatar
Crit Bliss Crit Bliss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 4,090
Default

A competent welding/fabrication shop may be your best resource for this kind of work.
__________________
Crit Bliss
'80FC33
250T
Cape Cod,ma
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-31-2014
Steelwheels's Avatar
Steelwheels Steelwheels is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque & Downers Grove
Posts: 1,291
Default

I misunderstood the terms used, I do have have the hitch, I think that was standard on my bird, I do not have the ball mount the part that slides into the hitch. From the Master-tow manual it says,

It is important that your hitch ball height be between 18 and 20 inches from the ground to the top of the ball. this will insure proper ramp to ground and ramp to under car clearance. For longer motor homes where rear frame dragging is common, a hitch height of 20" to 24" may be required to maintain ramp to under car clearance.

I'm thinking that just a standard ball mount should work, I haven't had a chance to measure bird yet. I am planing to pick up the dolly up Friday.

Any other towing tips for tow dollies or other wise would be welcomed.
__________________
Kiki B
Downers Grove, IL
87fc35
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-31-2014
Rick's Avatar
Rick Rick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bellefonte
Posts: 13,226
Default

I used a dolly for about 14 months before going 4 down. If that ball is too high the ramp is too low and will drag the ground if too low the car body will hit the ramp when loading. Follow the recommendations for your dolly. Ensure the wheel straps are always installed correctly and checked often. There is a lot of movement between the dolly and toad which can loosen the wheel straps.
__________________
Rick Shawver
1SG Ret
2000 LX
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-31-2014
Clueless Clueless is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valparaiso
Posts: 1,997
Default

Almost lost my Jeep off a tow dolly once. The straps were tight when the wheels were straight. This dolly had a steering axle. I left the jeep steering wheel unlocked.

The dolly steered one way the Jeep the other. When the jeep wheels were turned, the straps weren't so tight anymore. Good thing I also had the chains.

There's so much to remember !!!
__________________
David Styf
82 FC 33 SB SOLD
89 SP 36 Silver Edition SOLD
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2015
Steelwheels's Avatar
Steelwheels Steelwheels is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque & Downers Grove
Posts: 1,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I used a dolly for about 14 months before going 4 down. If that ball is too high the ramp is too low and will drag the ground if too low the car body will hit the ramp when loading. Follow the recommendations for your dolly. Ensure the wheel straps are always installed correctly and checked often. There is a lot of movement between the dolly and toad which can loosen the wheel straps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Almost lost my Jeep off a tow dolly once. The straps were tight when the wheels were straight. This dolly had a steering axle. I left the jeep steering wheel unlocked.

The dolly steered one way the Jeep the other. When the jeep wheels were turned, the straps weren't so tight anymore. Good thing I also had the chains.

There's so much to remember !!!
Thanks for the tips. There is so much to remember. This is just a temporary thing till we find a something we can flat 4 tow.

Was sway ever a problem, where did you keep your speed ?

Did anyone use a master-tow, how much of a drop did you have on your ball mount ?
__________________
Kiki B
Downers Grove, IL
87fc35
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2015
giderich's Avatar
giderich giderich is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rolla
Posts: 3,119
Default RM-077-4 Dual Hitch Recv'r

I like the 4" Dual Hitch Recv'r RM 077-4 on my Bird. http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-.../RM-077-4.html

See pics below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
I misunderstood the terms used, I do have have the hitch, I think that was standard on my bird, I do not have the ball mount the part that slides into the hitch. From the Master-tow manual it says,

It is important that your hitch ball height be between 18 and 20 inches from the ground to the top of the ball. this will insure proper ramp to ground and ramp to under car clearance. For longer motor homes where rear frame dragging is common, a hitch height of 20" to 24" may be required to maintain ramp to under car clearance.

I'm thinking that just a standard ball mount should work, I haven't had a chance to measure bird yet. I am planing to pick up the dolly up Friday.

Any other towing tips for tow dollies or other wise would be welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	33659   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	33660   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	33661   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	33662   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	33663   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	33664  
__________________
Dick & Patsy Gideon
1999 43 LXI Single Slide Body # F124510
2005 JEEP Liberty Limited CRD (diesel Toad)
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike Rack for a 35FC BikeRider 'Bird Projects & Modifications 25 04-11-2013 12:45 AM
Need to buy a dolly Mlegue2 Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted 3 08-24-2012 01:15 PM
Tow Dolly or all 4 down? wanderlodge3208 Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. 75 02-26-2012 11:01 AM
Car Dolly jyclegg Parts and Other Items For Sale 2 06-16-2010 02:11 PM
Payson UT - Craigslist Find - 83 35FC bwinter1946 Coaches For Sale by WOG Members 0 05-20-2009 08:01 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.