Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-30-2014

Default Master-tow tow dolly behind 35fc

I am planning to tow a 2004 Toyota Sienna Mini van behind my 87 35fc on a Master-tow tow dolly with electric brakes. I do have a brake controller but no receiver hitch do I need to buy anything in particular or can I just go with any receiver hitch that is up to the load I think its about 4800 pounds with the dolly included ? I was a little concerned about the height of the birds hitch and the angle of the tow dolly once hooked up ?
TIA

Last edited by Steelwheels; 12-30-2014 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-2014

I would install a Class III or IV receiver and an appropriate drop down to make the tow dolly ride level.
Old 12-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmp View Post
I would install a Class III or IV receiver and an appropriate drop down to make the tow dolly ride level.
Agree 100% and get them to mount that receiver as low as you can - I'm using a 10" drop to get my towbar level.
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 12-30-2014

If it were my coach I'd have the receiver hitch tucked up as High as possible... much less chance of dragging it on every driveway dip and road transition in your travels. Let the ball mount insert for the receiver do the Height Conversion (easy) or have the tow dolly modified to accept a higher hitch height (difficult).

SmittyBilt has a 8 Inch drop rated for 500/5,000 lbs. I'm sure there are others as well if I kept looking. Look in Off Road/Jeep parts as the tall four-wheelers have already addressed this issue with towing ski boats and RV's.

Ken - Austin, Texas -
'94 34' Safari Serengeti sold - Mom remarried @71 and they upgraded to a newer Coach w/Slides

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 12-30-2014

A competent welding/fabrication shop may be your best resource for this kind of work.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-31-2014

I misunderstood the terms used, I do have have the hitch, I think that was standard on my bird, I do not have the ball mount the part that slides into the hitch. From the Master-tow manual it says,

It is important that your hitch ball height be between 18 and 20 inches from the ground to the top of the ball. this will insure proper ramp to ground and ramp to under car clearance. For longer motor homes where rear frame dragging is common, a hitch height of 20" to 24" may be required to maintain ramp to under car clearance.

I'm thinking that just a standard ball mount should work, I haven't had a chance to measure bird yet. I am planing to pick up the dolly up Friday.

Any other towing tips for tow dollies or other wise would be welcomed.
Old 12-31-2014

I used a dolly for about 14 months before going 4 down. If that ball is too high the ramp is too low and will drag the ground if too low the car body will hit the ramp when loading. Follow the recommendations for your dolly. Ensure the wheel straps are always installed correctly and checked often. There is a lot of movement between the dolly and toad which can loosen the wheel straps.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-31-2014

Almost lost my Jeep off a tow dolly once. The straps were tight when the wheels were straight. This dolly had a steering axle. I left the jeep steering wheel unlocked.

The dolly steered one way the Jeep the other. When the jeep wheels were turned, the straps weren't so tight anymore. Good thing I also had the chains.

There's so much to remember !!!
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 01-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I used a dolly for about 14 months before going 4 down. If that ball is too high the ramp is too low and will drag the ground if too low the car body will hit the ramp when loading. Follow the recommendations for your dolly. Ensure the wheel straps are always installed correctly and checked often. There is a lot of movement between the dolly and toad which can loosen the wheel straps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Almost lost my Jeep off a tow dolly once. The straps were tight when the wheels were straight. This dolly had a steering axle. I left the jeep steering wheel unlocked.

The dolly steered one way the Jeep the other. When the jeep wheels were turned, the straps weren't so tight anymore. Good thing I also had the chains.

There's so much to remember !!!
Thanks for the tips. There is so much to remember. This is just a temporary thing till we find a something we can flat 4 tow.

Was sway ever a problem, where did you keep your speed ?

Did anyone use a master-tow, how much of a drop did you have on your ball mount ?
Old 01-22-2015

Default RM-077-4 Dual Hitch Recv'r

I like the 4" Dual Hitch Recv'r RM 077-4 on my Bird. http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-.../RM-077-4.html

See pics below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
I misunderstood the terms used, I do have have the hitch, I think that was standard on my bird, I do not have the ball mount the part that slides into the hitch. From the Master-tow manual it says,

It is important that your hitch ball height be between 18 and 20 inches from the ground to the top of the ball. this will insure proper ramp to ground and ramp to under car clearance. For longer motor homes where rear frame dragging is common, a hitch height of 20" to 24" may be required to maintain ramp to under car clearance.

I'm thinking that just a standard ball mount should work, I haven't had a chance to measure bird yet. I am planing to pick up the dolly up Friday.

Any other towing tips for tow dollies or other wise would be welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	33659   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	33660   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	190