Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M450 (Unique Issues)

M450 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M450 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M450 Parts here too. NO DISCUSSION OF ANY OF THE M450 LAWSUITS ALLOWED HERE.

Site Search:

Old 01-05-2016

Brian, my Lxi has the same symptoms with low batteries. Are the chargers turned on and charging? If the batteries are good, you're on the right track with connections. Wires or possibly a burned relay contact.

I get some back feeds to LEDS and strange dash indications when I have low voltage. Plus the start circuit is not enabled because the safety interlock for the transmission is inhibited.
Old 01-05-2016

Bryan, I'm by no means an expert and maybe even should keep my mouth shut. But is it fair to assume that the difficulty may be located at the rear of the coach? Since you still have a no start situation from the rear ignition? They surely wouldn't run any wires from the rear ignition and then all the way up to the front of the bus and then back, would they? If they did then I'm no help with this post and wasted your time reading it. But if they didn't hopefully the search for your trouble would be located in the rear of the bus close to the rear ignition, engine, batteries, starter, and their connections? I wished I understood these issues better, because I may be over simplifying the matter.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 01-05-2016
Just the Driver

Default No start

Jim, I agree but I an not getting anything to the entire ignition system.. Trying to learn the diagrams.

Yes the chargers/ inverters are on showing 13.4 volts. I plan of going further on the batteries when I get back to the bus because the LED voltage shows what is being put out and I plan on doing a load test on the batteries and make sure that is right. All good ideas....

Bryan and Karen Altier
2006 M450 LXI. “Ruffin it EZ II”
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
Greenville, SC
Altierb@bellsouth.net
Old 01-05-2016
Just the Driver

Default No start

Update

Got home, disconnected batteries, load tested and checked good. Isolated this issue to the 12v side of chassis system.

Checked voltage at the "lugs" up front, under the dash, in compartment under the drivers seat and only getting 7.6 volts. I can't figure out where or why I have a voltage drop coming to the front.

Checked the voltage in the power dist panel outside next to the batteries and all voltage there is good.

Next step going to panel in rear behind the closet and start running down voltage there. .....boy I miss the factory, but I am learning a lot.

Bryan and Karen Altier
Greenville, SC
Altierb@bellsouth.net
Old 01-05-2016

Bryan,

Suggestion only:

If you have a IR Thermometer (even better a thermography camera) look for hot spots at major cable/lug junctions leaving the battery bank. I believe you'll have better results if you can connect a DC load up front to a power distribution panel . When you start your IR survey, unplug the coach and let the batteries supply all the current.

The trick is to get a significant loading device, maybe a fan blower motor connected with jumper cables.

There is also some rather large relays that are energized when the coach is not in service. I believe these parasitic loads have been discussed here before.

Last edited by jwmp; 01-05-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2016

Brian, have you checked behind cabinet above commode? There is lots of wiring there, also.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 01-05-2016
Just the Driver

Default No start

Another update

Just came in and located the low voltage coming from an orange wire marked 12v ign. It was showing 6.91 volts. Traced through a cannon plug that is marked engine compartment. Will work in that area tomorrow when light I think this must run to rear switch.

When I disconnected this wire all of the weird lights on the dash went out, but still no start. Based on the wiring when the switch is turned on a relay closes and this mystery wire should have 12v .

Getting closer...I hope.

Bryan and Karen Altier
Greenville, SC
Altierb@bellsouth.net
Old 01-05-2016
Just the Driver

Hey Ernie,

Yes I have found more wiring in the last two days that I want to admit. Nothing like a bird.

Bryan and Karen Altier
Greenville, SC
Altierb@bellsouth.net
Old 01-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanaltier View Post
Another update

Just came in and located the low voltage coming from an orange wire marked 12v ign. It was showing 6.91 volts. Traced through a cannon plug that is marked engine compartment. Will work in that area tomorrow when light I think this must run to rear switch.

When I disconnected this wire all of the weird lights on the dash went out, but still no start. Based on the wiring when the switch is turned on a relay closes and this mystery wire should have 12v .
Getting closer...I hope.
If it's in a cannon plug, it must be 12 awg or smaller. I was thinking more on the lines of size 8 awg or larger going to the DC voltage power centers. Good luck with the troubleshooting.
Old 01-06-2016
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanaltier View Post
Update

Got home, disconnected batteries, load tested and checked good. Isolated this issue to the 12v side of chassis system.

Checked voltage at the "lugs" up front, under the dash, in compartment under the drivers seat and only getting 7.6 volts. I can't figure out where or why I have a voltage drop coming to the front.

Checked the voltage in the power dist panel outside next to the batteries and all voltage there is good.

Next step going to panel in rear behind the closet and start running down voltage there. .....boy I miss the factory, but I am learning a lot.

Hi Bryan,

The only M-450 experience I have is from occasionally helping Hish Amaral with the one he used to own but if you can be more specific about where you were measuring that 7.6 volts (maybe pictures and a description of the compartment and the terminal where you saw 7.6 volts) it may help.

I'm not sure I'm looking at the right compartment but if there are two insulated 12 volt (HOT) studs in that compartment, do you have 7.6 volts on both of them or just the one?

From working on Hish's M-450 I know that the prints and the electronic modules that control almost everything in the coach can make troubleshooting a bit challenging for a guy thats used to working on a 91 WB.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001