Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Rallies

Rallies Some of the rallies listed here are closed to posting by other than rally masters. Some old rallies are closed do to their being old rallies.

Site Search:

Old 04-16-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default 2009 Hot Rod / Maxton Bluebird Mini Rally (UPDATED)

The track management at Maxton discussed with us that in the future they may have to restrict the number of 'Birds that we can allow at our future Blue Bird Maxton Mini-Rallies. This was caused by the enthusiastic turnouts that we have had in the past two years, that took up a large area of the regular Pits to accommodate us.

Randy and I looked at different areas at the track that we could use as Pit/Camping ares in the future and we came up with this change as an option to use in the future, by moving to the area adjacent to the Short Shutdown Access Road. That will free up the area that we have been using in the past, for use by the Race Competitors, who are paying $100.00 to $120.00 per entry per race, plus their ECTA membership.

http://www.pbase.com/image/95731928

The new area is about four times larger than the area we have been using and is all concrete, which eliminates any potential problem with driving across wet ground and will allow more 'Birds to be parked at an angle side by side including areas for the awning to be extended. From this area you can see the entire mile long coarse, when you view it from the roof of your 'Bird. The only inconvenience is that you will have to walk a little further to get to the other areas of the PITS, which in my case is not a bad idea.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/95731929

By making this move in the future, this should help eliminate the potential future problem with the track management.

I have added printable PDF files that includes the maps and directions and you can download it and then print them for your use, by clicking on these attachments.

DIRECTIONS TO THE MAXTON RACE COURSE REV.pdf (645.0 KB)

TOWN OF MAXTON NC.pdf (163.0 KB)

MAXTON MONSTER MILE MAP.pdf (156.5 KB)

MAXTON PIT - CAMPING AREAS.pdf (185.6 KB)

PIT CAMP AREA DIRECTIONS.pdf (138.0 KB)

I have also combined all of the directions and maps above into one VERY LARGE 33.3MB PDF file;

MAXTON DIRECTIONS BOOKLET

It can be downloaded and also printed to carry with you, by right clicking on the link above and then choose Save Target As.... and place it in a file on your computer, then click Save, you can then open it and print it from there, it is quicker that way. To print the PDF file after you have saved it, first open the file and then follow these directions.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/95731927
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TOWN OF MAXTON NC.pdf (163.0 KB, 145 views)
File Type: pdf MAXTON MONSTER MILE MAP.pdf (156.5 KB, 133 views)
File Type: pdf MAXTON PIT - CAMPING AREAS.pdf (185.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: pdf PIT CAMP AREA DIRECTIONS.pdf (138.0 KB, 140 views)
File Type: pdf DIRECTIONS TO THE MAXTON RACE COURSE REV.pdf (645.0 KB, 263 views)

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-16-2008
Forum owner

we will need to do a little weed eating in that area,and maybe we can coax the airport guys to sweep it off for us too,also we need to trim the entry road,something we have done in the past,we do it for the racers,and for the birds!
we do this on thursday before the races.
if everyone sweeps their own camping space it would help alot.
also we don't have a dumpster at the track,we bring it in,and we haul it out.
Woody hauled it all this year,but next time we all need to take some.
Thanks!
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-19-2008

I talked to Keith Turk the track manager at Maxton and received his approval for us to use the New Parking/Camping Area for our Mini-Rallies there, so here are a few more details about the area.

This drawing shows the dimensions of the area, you will also note in the text that we are encouraging those attending that DO NOT HAVE GENERATOR EXHAUST STACKS EITHER BUILT IN, OR THAT CAN BE ADDED ON, to construct one for your 'Bird, so that your generator exhaust doesn't vent into your neighbors space. This is not only being considerate of your neighbor, but it also is a safety issue, being that we are trying to use an area for each 'Bird that will allow all of the wheels to be parked on the pavement. If you don't have a generator stack of some type, you will be parked along the back fence where we can give you more distance between each 'Bird.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/97307865

The view from the new Parking/Camping are is very similar to what was available from the old area and since this are is located beyond the normal spectator allowed area, we will have a set of cones showing the area where you can sit and watch, but you will still be able to view the cars. We will also have an area to park your toads, as we have had in the past. Here is a composite photo of the viewing area that you will have and of course those that want to sit on top of their 'Birds to watch will have a better view from there.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/97307866

Since I will be racing at Maxton for the rest of the summer, the fellow that cuts the grass for the airport has agreed to go over the area with the mower and cut down the weeds and grass that has grown between the concrete sections and then I am planning using some weed and grass killer on the same area and doing some cleanup and preparation of the new area, including picking up hundreds of nails and staples, with a magnet that are in the area close to the manufactured home plant fence, it seems that the employees over there like to see how far they can shoot staples across the fence, I guess it is like pitching penny's. We then plan on going back over the area with a leaf blower and removing any further debris, so that by October the area will be in good shape for us to use.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-19-2008
Forum owner

good job John!
thats a great spot,and now we don't have to limit the number of birds that can attend this rally.

Everybody needs to give John an attaboy for his photos and his maps etc,not just for maxton but for all the other stuff hes done,his website etc!
Thanks John!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-13-2009

Exclamation 2009 Hot Rod / Maxton Bluebird Mini Rally (UPDATED)

What can I say...THE DOG ATE MY HOMEWORK That's my story and I'm sticking to it, the original thread suddenly disappeared while I was saving some editing to one of my posts in the thread, so we will start all over again with this one.

Don't forget to check out the information about 2009 'Birds at the Beach (Myrtle Beach, SC) which is held just a little over 100 miles from Maxton the weekend before, while you are in the area why not make both rallies and get more bang for your buck.

Make sure that you add your information to the Database Sign Up Sheets for each rally found at; http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/wanderlodge/database

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-13-2009

Default Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge (Maxton)

The last page of the latest issue (4-09) of Hot Rod Magazine is devoted to the ECTA event at Maxton.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 03-01-2009

Default What's the Drill

We are planning to go to the Maxton rally after TBATB. We do not have a generator stack (full time that's hard to carry around or make) so it sounds like we have to park in a specific area. I assume someone will be there to tell us where to go (as if that hasn't happened a lot before). We will probably be coming in on the 2nd so probably lots of folks will be there already to direct us.

This will be a new experience but we are looking forward to it and will bring ear plugs!

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 03-01-2009
Forum owner

the exhaust stack will not be a problem,you can park with the birds.
its not a real noisy event,not like drag racing or circle track.
see you there!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-01-2009

Lee and Jacque

Get Randy's number. If you get lost and start driving around the airfield (like I did) he will vector you in. He even went so far as to come out and meet me when I drove past the entrance...Thanks again for that Randy...JOE sends
Dover, Fla.
Retired from first job...
Working too hard at second one !!!
Old 03-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe40king View Post
Lee and Jacque

Get Randy's number. If you get lost and start driving around the airfield (like I did) he will vector you in. He even went so far as to come out and meet me when I drove past the entrance...Thanks again for that Randy...JOE sends

The directions including maps can be found at Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Rallies, Shows, and Organized Events > Maxton Directions And Pit/Camping Area Revised go to post #1 and scroll to the bottom and look at the PDF files, copy them and you should be able to find the place, the only problem that we have encountered with these directions is the "ECTA" sign has changed to this below;

Sometimes it has not been put up on the wood frame, which you can see at the gate, if you happen to come early, but if you read the directions I believe that I have in there that if you come up on the manufactured home plant, it's hard to miss, then you need to turn around and go back a short distance, there is a large concrete area right at the plant that you can turn around or park in if the gate is not open yet.
Attached Thumbnails
ECTA COLOR LOGO CUTOUT sm.jpg  

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11