Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 07-11-2016

Default New member looking at BMC37

Hi folks,
I am a new member and have been lurking here for a while looking at getting a bird.
I am looking at a 94 BMC37 on BBB ( 1st one on the list )
tomorrow and may be an owner if it checks out.

What can you tell me about these and what to look for. The good, bad and ugly, if possible.

We had a MCI 7 bus conversion and sold it because it lacked power for the hills and turning radius was a mile.
Thanks, Rick
Old 07-11-2016

Turning radius is good (I keep mine at our ranch and have to turn from a 1 lane (seriously) county road onto a one lane gravel road with a @#$ gate near the road and I squeeze it in no problem. I'm biased, but I think the BMC is the best thing going..perfect balance between simplicity, luxury, craftsmanship and quality. Solid mechanical Cummins power, Spartan chassis with factory support (not really a big deal but makes some people feel better), etc.. etc..

38K is an awesome price. I looked at the issues list and it's all simple stuff so the fixes are easy and cheap. No way your going to get a better bang for the buck in a different coach.
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 07-11-2016

We have owned our BMC since 2008. We have never regretted our decision to buy. We also find that it is a good balance between simplicity, luxury, craftsmanship and quality. Unlike some other brands Bluebird did not use "good" materials or equipment when they built these busses. Bluebird consistently used the best available at the time for these machines. I have owned other brands and there is no comparison when it comes to build quality. Having said that, just like other models, I sometimes think even a BMC is overly complex.

Be advised there are differences in the BMCs based on model year. For simplicity, I think the 1994 is the best. Everyone has an opinion about what they want and like. You will need to decide what you like and want.

My biggest recommendation would be to test every system to ensure you know what you are buying. You need to know the water systems, electrical, heating, air conditioning, drivetrain, all work properly. If not, then know what it will take to fix them. There are a number of checklists available to help you. Look for water stains, leaks etc.

The Spartan chassis seems to be a great foundation. They ride and handle well. You will love the Cummins C8.3 and Allison MD3060 combination. There is a computer for the trans but none on the engine. Adding power to the Cummins is easy but does require boost and exhaust temperature gauges to monitor those engine upgrades.

The factory headlights are not good. There are the same as Chevrolet 1994 full size pickups. Most that I have seen could benefit from polished lenses, upgraded bulbs and properly aligned headlights. My high beams hit the ground 30 feet in front of the coach when I bought it. Don't think it was ever driven at night by the two previous owners. Now mine are adequate for the few times I drive at night. I keep looking for good aftermarket LED replacement bulbs but for now the Silver Stars I have will work.

You are in the right place to learn about these so read and ask.

Good luck.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 07-11-2016

Could you tell what the correct fuel filter # is for the engine and gen. on the 1994 BMC37. I want to get a couple just in case of fuel algae problems.
Old 07-11-2016

Tires and hoses and belts air bags would be higher on my worry list then algae in the fuel. Maybe yours too??? Good luck the BMC is a nice coach. The price is right and that's good or bad depending. Hoping it's good.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-11-2016

If the air bags blow can I still drive it?
Old 07-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybird View Post
If the air bags blow can I still drive it?
Well, I have never done it but my best guess would be: Yes, in an emergency situation. However you will not want to go farther than the closest repair facility. Ride and handling will be terrible and turning ability will be limited if a front bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybird View Post
Could you tell what the correct fuel filter # is for the engine and gen. on the 1994 BMC37. I want to get a couple just in case of fuel algae problems.
BMC/Cummins 8.3 filters part numbers: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...read.php?t=718

BMC section here is a good place to start: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...splay.php?f=57
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 07-11-2016

If the bus starts and drives shifts thru the gears and you have an overall positive impression being limited in my experience and I'd try to get a truck shop to do a safety inspection. Tires would be a first concern for me. The thoughts of a blow out in a cattle shoot in traffic is my worry.

I think once you see the bus you'll have a pretty immediate idea if you are interested. If you are not then it's simple keep looking. If it appears to be a keeper I'd have a professional do at least a visual inspection with emphasis on the safety related issues. A couple bucks spent may be well worth it. When they say "needs a little TLC or a little work" it's typically worse then stated. Hope this is the exception.

Also get insurance and a coach net road side assistance policy in force before driving it home. Belts and suspenders.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 07-11-2016

We love our BMC . It easily navigates through parking lots , campgrounds and narrow winding driveways , even with a 21ft trailer behind it . The turning radius is awesome for such a large coach .
As Mr DuWayne pointed out , the 94 is about as simplistic a BlueBird as you can get. Did I mention We Love Ours....lol. It is a joy to drive .

I don't believe you could drive it with a blown front airbag . The tires would rub the fenders when turning . Might could move it with a blown rear To get off the road .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 07-11-2016
BMC 37 Song Bird

Dont know bout BBs with blown air bags but 18 wheelers blow a bag you re on the side of the road. just bought mine and I LOVE IT!!!! totally agree with all of the above

J M S
Song Bird