Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Coaches Wanted

Coaches Wanted Looking to buy a particular coach? Place your request here.

Site Search:

Old 03-02-2017

Default BMC wanted

Hello, my friends call me pat. I'm looking for a BMC, mainly due to the drive system and the ability to work on it myself (the cummins family has taken over most of the military applications), but also because they strike the right balance on price vs value and simplicity while not compromising quality. I will probably go with a BMC37, but wouldn't rule out another version as long as it can be reliably driven home (even with a little work) I'm interested in checking it out. I'm active duty military located in eastern NC but I can travel as far as is required for the right bird.

I'm fairly flexible on everything else and I wont have a problem making any fixes to the house side systems or doing remodels as time goes on to suit our needs. As I understand it a washing machine, cook top, and fridge were all standard on the BMC models, and thats plenty for the foreseeable future.

A little background, I'm coming off a divorce and heading into a year or so of courses and traveling around primarily in the DC/ Northern Va area. I will have a government provided room throughout, but looking at what it would cost to rent a livable location for my kids (son 7, daughter 3) in DC, it makes a lot more sense to purchase a bird. I can pay site fees when the kids visit and have in my experience some great neighbors, and I can store it on base for free the rest of the time, and in the end I still own it. Plus it opens up attractive travel/adventure options later with the kids but keeps an environment that has some familiarity for them when I'm on the road. I want them to have spent at least a week in every state before they are 18, and I plan on taking a break and traveling quite a bit when I leave active duty in a few more years before I decide on where I am settling down to start the next chapter of my life.

I will also say, I'm excited for all the reasons I read about on this forum. I'm not sure if I will get to a rally this year before I have to head out to my courses, hopefully I can find what I am looking for before I leave, but they are something I definitely plan on getting to in the future. There are things that are well designed and built, but it takes a group of people with passion and a sense of community that take a good design and elevates it to something more.

Thanks, and anything that anyone refers me to is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatInNC View Post
Hello, my friends call me pat. I'm looking for a BMC, mainly due to the drive system and the ability to work on it myself (the cummins family has taken over most of the military applications), but also because they strike the right balance on price vs value and simplicity while not compromising quality. I will probably go with a BMC37, but wouldn't rule out another version as long as it can be reliably driven home (even with a little work) I'm interested in checking it out. I'm active duty military located in eastern NC but I can travel as far as is required for the right bird.

I'm fairly flexible on everything else and I wont have a problem making any fixes to the house side systems or doing remodels as time goes on to suit our needs. As I understand it a washing machine, cook top, and fridge were all standard on the BMC models, and thats plenty for the foreseeable future.

A little background, I'm coming off a divorce and heading into a year or so of courses and traveling around primarily in the DC/ Northern Va area. I will have a government provided room throughout, but looking at what it would cost to rent a livable location for my kids (son 7, daughter 3) in DC, it makes a lot more sense to purchase a bird. I can pay site fees when the kids visit and have in my experience some great neighbors, and I can store it on base for free the rest of the time, and in the end I still own it. Plus it opens up attractive travel/adventure options later with the kids but keeps an environment that has some familiarity for them when I'm on the road. I want them to have spent at least a week in every state before they are 18, and I plan on taking a break and traveling quite a bit when I leave active duty in a few more years before I decide on where I am settling down to start the next chapter of my life.

I will also say, I'm excited for all the reasons I read about on this forum. I'm not sure if I will get to a rally this year before I have to head out to my courses, hopefully I can find what I am looking for before I leave, but they are something I definitely plan on getting to in the future. There are things that are well designed and built, but it takes a group of people with passion and a sense of community that take a good design and elevates it to something more.

Thanks, and anything that anyone refers me to is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the group Pat. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Just throwing this out there for you to think about, since you are thinking BMC and Cummins. You may also consider an M380. The Cummins is in that and it provides a little more additional space with one or two slides. If this is going to be your main living quarters, it may provide you more creature comforts and room.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 03-02-2017

I would consider an M380 but I think most will be a bit out of my price range, and honestly I would really prefer a mechanically injected engine.
Old 03-02-2017

Default BMC

Quote:
I would consider an M380 but I think most will be a bit out of my price range, and honestly I would really prefer a mechanically injected engine.
Howdy and welcome.

We went with our 94 for that main reason , old mechanical injection .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 03-02-2017

If you do a general internet search for BMC for sale , you might find a few recent posts. That's how we found ours .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 03-02-2017

Bragg had his for sale. Don't know if it's still available. I think he's in Florida.
Old 03-02-2017

Quote:
I would really prefer a mechanically injected engine.
Me too. The Allison has a brain and it will set you back $1000 WHEN it goes. Remember the name TKT Sales in Yanceyville NC. Ted is the man to talk to for Allison stuff.

Love the BMC37. The earlier ones are simpler than the later ones. Pick your flavor.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 03-02-2017

Hello Pat, Take a look at RVtrader there's a 94 around the corner from you in Hampstead.
Good luck.
Virginia Beach VA
Old 03-02-2017
BMC 37 Song Bird

Three things. 1 tires. 2.. batteries. 3. Main engine exhaust manifold ( viewrd from bedroom access hatch )
signs of smoke. And. Broken manifold bolts. Oh ya close attention to roof exhaust fan in bathroom for water damage
Song Bird
Old 03-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jydog159 View Post
Three things. 1 tires. 2.. batteries. 3. Main engine exhaust manifold ( viewrd from bedroom access hatch )
signs of smoke. And. Broken manifold bolts. Oh ya close attention to roof exhaust fan in bathroom for water damage
Do those just need to be re-sealed or is there some type of design issue to be aware of?

FYI love my BMC37!!
1984 FC35RB Sold