Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > How To Protect Your RV Investment.

How To Protect Your RV Investment. This forum is set up to discuss insurance needs, terminology & where to go to get the best possible coverage for your needs. From time to time we will discuss the issues and differences in insurance coverage. When would an appraisal be in your best interest & how often should you have an appraisal and where one could obtain a certified appraisal.

Site Search:

Old 03-11-2018
BMC 37 Song Bird

Default Good Sam Platinum Roadside Assistance

Evening all
Got mailer from Good Sam tday. Has anyone used this program? Shoppin for info.
Song Bird
Old 03-11-2018

Nope, sorry.

I just renewed for three years with Coach-Net Basic program.

Have not used that program either yet. My time is coming I am sure.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 03-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jydog159 View Post
Evening all
Got mailer from Good Sam tday. Has anyone used this program? Shoppin for info.

No thank you. Coach Net for me.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-11-2018

Coach net is far superior to Good Sam. WE have had their coverage for over 30 years. Only used the service 3 times! We have been Good Sam members since the beginning but other than some CG discounts don't use them for anything else. Think Camping World! Coach Net will tow you to the nearest shop that can handle your rig. The tow truck will be one of those behemoth's and I think they will send a low boy if required. Good Sam has been known to send a one ton tow truck for a 42 ft. MH! Both services use a call center so a lot depends on who answers the call.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 03-11-2018
RV Appraiser

I have had Good Sam since day one and they have hauled me on a Landall 3 times and paid for the haul without question or refusal for each time. I don't think there is any overall difference between the two services. You have to tell the operator specific details and the service you need. Once in New Mexico they sent a wrecker, I requested a Landall and was approved but they had a mix up on their end. Once the wrecker arrived the driver said no way and he went back and got a landall from the yard. Good Sam paid that bill without question. Another time at 5PM in the fall on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of nowhere we needed a haul. Getting anyone to answer their phone was nearly impossible, I contacted AAA and ask them who they recommend to do the haul got a number and they came we called Good Sam and they paid the bill. Not only for the landall but for a wrecker which had an operational air compressor to load & offload the bus, a 1500+ bill for a 60 mile haul. Third time I broke down about 8 miles from the CAT dealer and I called Good Sam cost them $450 to haul it to the Cat Dealer and Good Sam paid the bill. I believe it all has to do with how YOU handle the call, request the equipment/service needed. You need to be positive in the description of serve or equipment needed, if you act uncertain as what you need they may send what they think is best, I feel you have to educate them and let them know that an inappropriate wrecker may do more damage to your bus if not handled properly and that is the reason for your specific request. I had to request for a service center supervisor once because they just wanted to take me to the nearest shop but I had to convince them that shop was not the best choice even though they may had been a few miles closer. We got the Landall & the shop of our choice.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-11-2018
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Coach net is far superior to Good Sam. WE have had their coverage for over 30 years. Only used the service 3 times! We have been Good Sam members since the beginning but other than some CG discounts don't use them for anything else.

It just cracks me up when this topic comes up, if you have never used the Good Sam Roadside Assistance, then how do you have anything to compare?

I have been an RV owner for almost 45 years and I am a Good Sam Charter Lifetime Member I also use the
Good Sam Platinum Roadside Assistance I have had mostly good and some unacceptable service and over the years of reading different RV forums I have heard the same about Coachnet. I have found that the most important thing I can do is to fully explain to the call center exactly what my problem is and make sure that if a tow is needed I need to make them understand that this a very heavy bus, not a typical RV and in the only time that my 'Bird had to be towed I requested a Landall trailer to transport my 'Bird and that was what was dispatched.

I suggest that you read these threads;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs > How to properly tow your 'Bird

Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > How to properly tow your 'Bird > 'Birds and Wreckers "WHAT TO KNOW TO TOW"

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Coach net is far superior to Good Sam. WE have had their coverage for over 30 years. Only used the service 3 times! We have been Good Sam members since the beginning but other than some CG discounts don't use them for anything else. Think Camping World! Coach Net will tow you to the nearest shop that can handle your rig. The tow truck will be one of those behemoth's and I think they will send a low boy if required. Good Sam has been known to send a one ton tow truck for a 42 ft. MH! Both services use a call center so a lot depends on who answers the call.
I’ve had Coachnet send an undersized rig for a 42’ RV as well. It’s not just Good Sam that does it. Fortunately the tow service owner called me for directions when he was about half way. I asked what he was going to use. When I gave my input he said it would be a few minutes longer. He went back and got the big truck.

After several years with Coachnet I recently decided to give Good Sam a try. It remains to be seen if it is a mistake, but it was substantially less. AND, it covers both the Bird and my Airstream for the same price. Not the case with Coachnet.
VerleyBird
Old 03-12-2018

I've had both. Used both but only for tire issues. Never been hauled and hope never to be hauled. From my experience and all those that I have read about others, I don't think there is that much difference. Like it has been stated, YOU have to take the responsibility to explain exactly what you have, how much it weighs and that the rear axle will have to be removed or the driveshaft removed. Get a Landall if possible, but availability and location can dictate that issue. Like I have said I have used both services for tires and after it was all said and done, they both did fine. Good Sam's phone girl wasn't the sharpest knife in the set and made things difficult. I wrote a letter. Got a call back from a guy, who apologized and said it should no have happened that way and they paid the full bill I submitted, when I called my own tire service. I considered that good service in the end. I would use either one of them.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 03-12-2018

I too have used Good Sams on 3 occasions. The first was a transmission line and a landall tow and a mobile mechanic, which they paid the service call. Then a couple tire problems. Each time has been good service with follow up calls to see if we were alright. I looked at coachnet at my last GS renewal, but I couldn't justify them wanting almost 3 times what GS wanted. $250 at the time. I hope to not use either service but GS has treated me well......so far
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 03-12-2018

No Good Sam for us. Used twice, both absolute nightmares. Used Coach Net twice no problems--good quick service. Guess it depends on the towing services/road angels on each company's provider listing.

Bill
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".