Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Craigs List, Ebay, Coaches and other Finds

Craigs List, Ebay, Coaches and other Finds Other Coaches or anything else you have found for sale that others here might want to know about.

Site Search:

Old 06-07-2019

Default 87 FC35 - Should I take the plunge?

Hi I am new to the forum and not yet an owner but I have been watching craigslist etc hoping to find the right one.

I am considering buying a 1987 FC35. This coach is in the process of being restored from its previous life as a full time immobile home. I would say it's 80-90% done mechanically and 30-50% done aesthetically. I figure $3-5k, some hard work and elbow grease and it will be ready to roll before too long

I just figured out that this is the cat pee/cigar smoke coach from Colorado that was put up for sale on CL and sold 2 years ago. FYI I didn't notice any cat pee or smoke smell when I looked at it today.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=28193
the asking price 2 years ago was $9k, I don't know what was actually paid.

The current owner is asking $15k, I offered him 10 and he is talking to the wife. Given the cat/cigar history here, I could possibly lower my bid.

He bought a 40ft wanderlodge coach and no longer needs this one.

I would like the opinions of some seasoned Wanderlodge veterans about the value and potential upsides/downsides of this rig. Is it worth what I offered? What should I look for/ask about when I go have another look (I still haven't taken a ride or driven it).

The good:
current owner has recently put over $5000 into the engine/mechanical - not sure exactly what he had done but he said tuned, maybe rebuilt?
the engine blows a little smoke when you start it but it starts right up and purrs like a cat should. (maybe I shouldn't mention cats given the history here!)
4 brand new deep cycle batteries on the streetside, the other two look OK
rear tires are all 4 practically new <2years only a few hundred miles, front ones are good but will need replacing in a year or 2
mechanically everything works- the generator, water pump and heater, fridge, oven, horn
the current owner has invested much more than he is asking and much, much more than my offer.
it is near enough to me that I can inspect it myself and take it to someone more competent if need be and I don't need to ship it either
both rooftop A/C units blow cold. one may be original, the other is newer Dometic
2 brand new captain's chairs
Couch is new
Benches have been replaced
Brand new mattress
It is a rear double bed, my preferred plan
very little rust- a few random surface spots but nothing around the wheel wells or underneath

The bad:
broken windshield - $? to fix?
Mirrors need work/replacement- smaller bottom pieces are broken on both sides
rear camera doesn't work (not a biggie, easy to replace it anyway)
main awning is missing (the rest are fine)

The ugly:
Inside needs work: everything is in a shambles so it's hard to see everything that needs fixing.
The floor is halfway replaced but may need to be torn up and redone.
the bathroom needs work, there is broken tile, stains
I may need to further mitigate the smell with some serious vinegar and ozone treatment
It has been sitting outside a lot so the paint is fading and the decals are cracking in spots. However, a good cleaning, buffing and waxing could go a long way

What should I do??????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00S0S_44oVQoi3BtI_1200x900.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	62350  

Jacob Gump
Larkspur, CO
1986 PT40 "Dreamweaver"
1963 Airstream

Last edited by gumperoncini; 06-07-2019 at 01:19 AM. Reason: formatting ****
Old 06-07-2019
tintent

you didn t mention your ability to repair or a place to do them the work you do will make a huge impact on your decision to buy'
Old 06-07-2019

Has the injector pump been rebuilt? Transmission status? Brakes? Air bags?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 06-07-2019

I am by no means an expert or a WOG owner (currently researching options), however one thing I have learned from reading the posts here is that bargain initial purchases rarely are bargains. If they would take an offer for $10K (I think that one was listed for $9K in the post you linked to) it could be a lot of work... if you have awesome skills and a vision it could be great of course, but why take the risk of a cat and cigar coach that wasn't used for traveling when you can buy one of the other nice ones that pop up. It might take a little longer to find "the one" but more spent up front for a well sorted coach might be better in the long run? All depends on what you want to do, but for me that would be my choice. Also, from my research here even the well sorted ones used on a regular basis potentially $10K up front and $5K each year put aside for big things. Overall I think Wanderlodges offer a lot of value for the money but the really cheap ones from what I have read tend to be a ton of work and money.
Old 06-07-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
I am by no means an expert or a WOG owner (currently researching options), however one thing I have learned from reading the posts here is that bargain initial purchases rarely are bargains. If they would take an offer for $10K (I think that one was listed for $9K in the post you linked to) it could be a lot of work... if you have awesome skills and a vision it could be great of course, but why take the risk of a cat and cigar coach that wasn't used for traveling when you can buy one of the other nice ones that pop up. It might take a little longer to find "the one" but more spent up front for a well sorted coach might be better in the long run? All depends on what you want to do, but for me that would be my choice. Also, from my research here even the well sorted ones used on a regular basis potentially $10K up front and $5K each year put aside for big things. Overall I think Wanderlodges offer a lot of value for the money but the really cheap ones from what I have read tend to be a ton of work and money.
Well said Kevin.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-07-2019

If you have to ask, NO.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 06-07-2019

Short and to the point, Mike. I like it! haha

Instagram
Old 06-07-2019

Radiator and CAC?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 06-07-2019

If this one get scrapped - I want parts!

I agree after the two I have owned. Get a good one. They cost you less in the end. This FC would be a good candidate for those who would otherwise convert a schoolie.

Good looking bus on the outside, but the interior is gutted?
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Old 06-07-2019

It's actually pretty good on the inside too.

what you got against skoolies?!? I would proudly convert a Bluebird school bus if they weren't so difficult to get insured and registered. In addition to being discriminated against by RV parks.

Jacob Gump
Larkspur, CO
1986 PT40 "Dreamweaver"
1963 Airstream