Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-29-2009

Default Jim Harvie's FC Project

Hi everyone!
My name is Jim Harvie I purchaced a 1982 35ft. FC SB. I live in Massachusetts. I have done some recent work to my Bluebird I have read a few things on this forum, and found the information to be very helpfull. I have a few questions that I'd like to ask, and I'll try to keep them in the proper thread.
Not sure if my signature is going to show up, I filled it out in the profile section, but I'll post it anyway. Thank you.
Jim Harvie
1982 FC 35ft SB
Lancaster Ma
Old 07-29-2009
Administrator

Welcome Jim, There is a bunch of Birds in New England.

Ask away.....

Last edited by Bill Pape; 07-29-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2009
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Harvie View Post
Hi everyone!
My name is Jim Harvie I purchaced a 1982 35ft. FC SB. I live in Massachusetts. I have done some recent work to my Bluebird I have read a few things on this forum, and found the information to be very helpfull. I have a few questions that I'd like to ask, and I'll try to keep them in the proper thread.
Not sure if my signature is going to show up, I filled it out in the profile section, but I'll post it anyway. Thank you.
Jim Harvie
1982 FC 35ft SB
Lancaster Ma
Jim you've everything correctly. Welcome to the forum. Ask away.
Old 07-29-2009
Forum owner

let it rip,Jim!
the guys on here can fix anything!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-29-2009

Default New Member

Ok, thanks. Let me tell you a little about my Bird. 3208 NA (109,000 mi)I bought it, and have been doing some work on it. I started off with a rebuilt injector pump, Changed the oil, (Eng and trans) new filters. I fabricated a new battery box, installed 4 new 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries, new battery cables ( 1 gauge), and a new battery cut off switch. I installed a new Batt for the generator 12.5 Kohler (473 hrs. the hr meter works) I replaced the battery boilers with a single Xantrex 80 amp converter/charger 2 stage, with a battery minder. I replaced the muffler and tailpipe, and fabricated a new generator exhust. I removed the origional hitch ( it was hanging lower than the drag rollers), modified and installed one that's now above the rollers. Last week I took it for a ride, and had 6 new General ST371 tires installed with recent date codes ( 2/09).
Monday, I swung the radiator, because I wanted to check the bearings on the idler, alt etc. and change the belts and hoses . I took the belts off and spun the pulleys and checked for play. I spun the alternator, Motorola 160 amp) and it sounded like it had a dry bearing .I sent it out to have it checked out and for beginnings there's problems in the stator, although it was charging. I told him to stop, and ordered a new Leece Neville 160 This way I'll have new. ( I have a question about this that I'll ask in the electrical section)
I picked up a rebuilt water pump, from Cat.
I'm going to change the Idler pulley bearings and dust cap.( I'll ask a question about that in the cat engine section)
I bought new belts, rad hoses, heater hoses and oil cooler bypass hoses. I think now is the time to change those. I'd swing a radiator on the side of the road, but I feel it's better at home
I filled the fresh water for the first time since I've had it I had water hot and cold on the city supply, but it seemed to be sucking air on the pump supply (no water leaks but the pump wouldn't shut off) I flipped the "fill switch" a few times turned the pump back on and it built pressure, then stopped.I had hot and cold everywhere except the shower (only hotthere, no cold). Its a Mowen. I removed the balance spool and the spool valve was frozen. I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it and reinstalled. Worked fine. While I was there ,I installed a new cartridge.
Ok enough for now. and thanks again.I'll ask my 2 questions in the other threads.
Jim Harvie
1982 35ft FC SB
Lancaster Ma
Old 07-29-2009
odb bill

hey jim you know you can buy the bearings cheaper at a bearing house and if the shaft is wore get it from cat
Old 07-30-2009
Forum owner

well boys,it looks like Jim is going to be helping US before long!
Good post Jim,it sounds like your doing all the right stuff!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-30-2009
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by odbwedge View Post
hey jim you know you can buy the bearings cheaper at a bearing house and if the shaft is wore get it from cat

Cat bearings are Timken.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-30-2009

After reading Jim's list of completed projects I feel like a lazy bum. Welcome Jim.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-30-2009

Jim, as a wannabee, I am humbled in your presence! If you are an example of a Newbie, I expect at RATS the Veterans will be showing us how to build a Bird from the ground up in 3 days!!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720