Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 11-04-2009
Gardner

Default Loves Truck Stop

After I left Shanes on Monday night, I called Shane and asked where I might find some food on 81. He suggested Loves truck stop. It is apparently relatively new and has food. I found out that it is a roach motel, not the food, the parking lot.

Once you enter the driveway, there is no way to make a u-turn. So I followed the trucks around behind the building. The parking is back-in only. At the far end of the building are the fuel pumps. I didn't want fuel so I went around the end of the pumps to get out of the lot. OOPS! There isn't an exit there. The only way out is through the pumps, which were full and backed up two deep as well.

Apparently the procedure is to fuel up, then take a right and go around the end of the pumps and exit the way you came in. So now I am facing the wrong way, with no way to turn around (toad attached). There was a place with a big orange chain across on what looked like an exit, but was lined with big cement barriers, and I was on the wrong side of the barriers.

It was dark and I sat there for a quite while contemplating my predicament. Then I got up to leave the coach and do a walkaround looking for an escape. I got three steps and realized the coach was rolling backwards. S%#T, I forgot to set the parking brake! I made it back in time to save my A$$. This is the same jerk that forgot to set the toad transfer case to neutral before leaving Rats. A complete head examination is indicated, soon! (Not to see if there is anything wrong with it, just to see if there really is one there at all. Perhaps I should go to the Proctologist first, he would likley have the best chance of finding it)!!!

So I figured I could angle the FC between two of the cement barriers and straighten out and escape through the orange chained passage. I disconnected the chain and laid it in a pile on the ground, made it past the barrier gauntlet and past the chain and out to the road. I guess the chain is still on the ground.

I stopped two exits down at a Yoders hot dog stand. I applied the brake this time.

I guess I shouldn't travel alone, I need a safety person to verify the checklist before I do anything.

Water in the tank? Check
Pump on? Check
Black tank not full? Check
T-paper on the roll? Check

Ok, you can use the bathroom.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 11-05-2009
Administrator

We always visit the Flying J's, they seem to be the cleanest & up to date truck stops. Some are old fuel stations purchased by FJ.
But on our last out west trip, we stopped at several Love's truck stops.
For truck stops they were very clean, and up to date, some looked very new. They have a fueler card to collect points, same as FJ. Free shower after 50 gallons. , dump stations at many locations and propane.
Lots of trucker food and stuff for sale. They were once hooked up with Good Sam for an additional penny per gallon , not sure if this is still the case.
They seem to be gaining many locations, But Gardner is very correct, check out the parking lots. Many are back in only , with little or no turn around for the toad. We slept over at a few , maybe the name Love lends itself to a kinder gentler place, the trucks were very quiet.
http://www.loves.com/

Last edited by Bill Pape; 11-05-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2009
Former Bird Owner

I've used a couple of Love's ... and the layout is pretty much as Gardner describes. However, I never encountered the concrete barriers and chain... Most allow you to go around the station, "commercial" pumps on the side -- but usually you can go outside the pumps to escape from the station. The situation Gardner encountered must have been a local situation -- perhaps there were complaints about "misdirected" truck traffic.

Parking is almost always back in only -- a problem when traveling with a toad. Love's were a 'last resort' stop for me -- Flying J typically had a better price on fuel anyway.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com