Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 12-18-2009

Thumbs up Who knows oregon

All you westerners. - - - We're planning a trip thru Oregon near Crater Lake area then north then thru parts of Washington and coming down near the coast next Spring and early summer. Any suggestion about roads and possible gotchas greatly appreciated. Part of a 3 - 4 month trip from our home in SC. We've covered most of southern US but have been snowed out of Glacier and others cuz we were too early.

Thanks

Ed N
Old 12-18-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudpilot1 View Post
All you westerners. - - - We're planning a trip thru Oregon near Crater Lake area then north then thru parts of Washington and coming down near the coast next Spring and early summer. Any suggestion about roads and possible gotchas greatly appreciated. Part of a 3 - 4 month trip from our home in SC. We've covered most of southern US but have been snowed out of Glacier and others cuz we were too early.

Thanks

Ed N
???

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-18-2009

We did a similar trip this past summer. It is a great part of the country and we had a great time. We used our Trailer Life Campground guide and it served us well.

Only cautions I would mention is the US 101 north of Hoodsport Washington is narrow in places with very, very narrow bridges. Logging trucks run on this road so there is room but it is very tight in some places. In fact, Dan Weaver lost a passenger mirror on one of the bridges when an on coming car would not move over. Second caution is: On the coast, (Hwy 101) diesel fuel can be tough to get for a motorhome sized vehicle. It is available but the stations can be to small for my 37 footer. I would suggest a full fuel tank before hitting the coastline.

Have fun.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 12-19-2009

Brad,
Don't believe I want to challenge 101 in totot - I'll toad it. How are roads east of mountains and around carter lake?
Thanks
Ed N
Old 12-19-2009

I ran my toad to and around Crater Lake. The BMC stayed on the I-5 and the US-101. We would park the Bird in a campground and then tour by toad. It is a pretty twisty road to the lake with some grades also.

We also walked down did the boat tour on Crater Lake and had a great time but be sure you have mosquito repellent!!!!! On the walk up and out the mosquitos will eat you alive. You have been warned!
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad