Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-19-2012

Default Water supply change over switch in FC?

Hello all, I have a question. I have been in just about every nook and cranny of my 78 FC 35 SB over the last 10 months but I can not locate the switch to change from city water to the fresh water tank when leaving a campground.? When I first started diggin in the coach I could not get water to flow thru the city connection. I have been under the rear bed a thousand times and do not see any pressure valves on the city water side. The PO has made quite a few mods in this area. New pex was run throught the coach along with 4 valves. My pump works fine, I can shut off the fresh water tank with a valve under the bed and I get great city water.

Finally, the question. Is there a change over switch some where that changes water supply from city to fresh tank? I can do it but I have to remove the million pound mattress and access panels to physically turn a valve. Am I missing something?

Last edited by papadbh; 11-19-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-19-2012

Typically there is a toggle switch right in the area of the city water hook up which sends water to either the holding tank or by passes the holding tank so that you can use water right out of the camp ground connection.

I will bet you that the PO set the coach up so you can only use water from the holding tank. People have had leaks and damage from connecting to high pressure water sources at RV parks resulting in damage. I always fill the tank and shut off the city water to the bus just to be safe and pump from the holding tank.

I think I understand your question.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-19-2012

Sorry John, I rambled on a bit! Here it is short and sweet. When I go under the bed and close the valve to the fresh water tank I have city water. When I dissconnect city water and want to use the fresh water tank with the pump while on the road I have to go back under the bed and open the fresh water valve. Is that normal or is there a change over switch that I am missing?
Old 11-19-2012

No it's not the way the coach came from the factory. I think the previous owner must have changed it.

Can you leave the valve set so the holding tank is filled from the city water and then pump water out or the tank for your domestic use? If so that's what I would do.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-19-2012
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadbh View Post
Sorry John, I rambled on a bit! Here it is short and sweet. When I go under the bed and close the valve to the fresh water tank I have city water. When I dissconnect city water and want to use the fresh water tank with the pump while on the road I have to go back under the bed and open the fresh water valve. Is that normal or is there a change over switch that I am missing?
You explained it in your first post, -The previous owner re-plumed it-
Originally the early birds had two separate hose connections, city and fill.
No electric valves on the original '78- I used to have one.

The later coaches have an electric valve that is engaged to fill the tank, and disengaged to energize the hose to the coach system. Sounds like you have a manual valve for that function.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 11-19-2012

Gardner you are correct. I have two seperate connections, one for city and one to fill the domestic water tank. Since I do not want to crawl under the bed all the time before and after traveling I was thinking.......why not change the manual valve to an electronic valve and place a switch that is easy to get to? What do you all think?
Old 11-19-2012
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadbh View Post
Gardner you are correct. I have two seperate connections, one for city and one to fill the domestic water tank. Since I do not want to crawl under the bed all the time before and after traveling I was thinking.......why not change the manual valve to an electronic valve and place a switch that is easy to get to? What do you all think?
Electric valve-much better than under the bed manual valve.

However I am totally confused. The tank fill connection should go to the tank with no valves except a one-way to keep it from running back out. The city connection should go to the coach system, once again with a one-way backflow preventer.

So now I don't know why you have a valve unless you only use one of the connections.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 11-19-2012

That's what I think the PO was doing only using water out of the tank. I didn't realize that the early coaches had two water inlet connections. The PO must have done something to abort the one fill. Maybe it's not the original holding tank. Seems like there would be no reason for two fill points if there is a manual valve in the mix here. The PO clearly did something to change from the factory arrangement.

I don't see it as a problem as long as he can get water into and out of the holding tank. There would have to be a check value in the line as you suggested Gardner to keep water from flowing back out the fill point.

Seems like putting a two way valve in would be more trouble then it's worth. Unless you are using a lot of water and it's a problem drawing water out of the holding tank (which is safer as I explained) Never leave a coach with city water supply on. If you leave unhook the city water hose. For me it's simpler to just fill the holding tank.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-19-2012

Me too Gardner! The valve I spoke of is fairly new, nice n shiney. I can only guess the PO added it, why, I cant say! Even though I have two seperate fills (city/tank) this valve in the closed position allows water to the coach and in the open position allows water to fill the tank and use the 12 volt pump. Its crazy, thats why I thought it would be easier to install the ecectronic valve and call it a day.
Old 11-19-2012

This is confusing. Is the valve you speak of on the city side? If so leave it so it allows the use of city water and then use the other fill to fill the tank???? Would that work?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold