Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 11-17-2011

Met someone at my Gym last night who does Vehicle wrapping, he owns his own company, so we spoke about wrapping the coach.
He firgures he could wrap it for about $2800/per side, and that is with anything I want. I could put a picture on the side if I wanted to.
IF I didn't want to go with an "image" on the side, it would be much cheaper he said.
I don't want any pictures on the coach, I actually want it to look pretty simple, so what i am kinda thinking now is........ have the front/face and rear end painted a nice High Gloss Black, but have this guy wrap the sides. I am thinking maybe a "Carbon Fiber" look on the sides, which is a mixture of dark Greys. And I'm guessing the sides would cost about $2000ea.
So Im thinking between the painted sections, and the wrapped sections, It would cost about $5500-$6000 for a good job.

I'll put some more thought into it.

BTW, The EGR block off kit and computer is in, so Mike should be able to have this engine at least mounted in the coach by next week. As soon as he sends me some pic's, I'll post them.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 11-17-2011

You can get a full paint job for about that. Did you ever call Starjet for example?
VB 1570
Old 11-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
You can get a full paint job for about that. Did you ever call Starjet for example?
If we were just talking about paint, I am sure I could, but there are a lot of imperfections that need to be "bodyworked" before paint....
I think it would cost me more like $12,000-$15,000. to have it painted and looking good. The one quote I got based on about 6 pictures of it, was $12,000. minimum.

No I didn't contact Starjet
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 11-18-2011

How long did the fellow tell you a wrap would last?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 11-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
How long did the fellow tell you a wrap would last?

All he said was, the wrap was very durable, and that paint would fade much sooner than the wrap.
The wrap job on the trailer in this pic is 10 years old, and it doesnt look any different now than it did when it was first done, so thats proof that it does last a while. It also never peeled anywhere.

Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 11-19-2011

I gave Coachworx a budget of $15K and they didn't even call me back. I have been quoted $25k by several different vendors. 300-400 hours labor plus paint. They ALL said they could give a lower quote with cheaper paint but ALL have said the job wouldn't hold up.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 11-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
I gave Coachworx a budget of $15K and they didn't even call me back. I have been quoted $25k by several different vendors. 300-400 hours labor plus paint. They ALL said they could give a lower quote with cheaper paint but ALL have said the job wouldn't hold up.

This is why I am seriously considering the wrapping on the sides.
The front and back of the coach wont really need body work, just some simple fine sanding, and I Can get the front end and rear end painted properly in a booth for about $1200.(one colour)

But the sides, mostly the bay doors that have been cut and resized to fit, will require a bit of body filling to look perfect, if painted, also the front fenders that were custom made, where as the wrapping will cover it.

I CAN do the body work myself, I am actaully very good with body work, my problem now is TIME. I dont have the time like I did this summer, with my new job. I am just glad I got as much done as I did.
It's about 85% done.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 11-23-2011

Mike was dressing the engine today, and we thought we were going to need a power steering pump for the Cummins, since mine didn't come with one, and that sent me on a frantic search for a deal on one, but then he called me back and said the one he took off the C13 bolts right up to the Cummins
That saves me some $$$. So if anyone needed to know, the CAT and Cummins pump are the same.

Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 11-23-2011
Forum owner

I thought you were already driving the big Cummins!
It being an easy swap and everything.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I thought you were already driving the big Cummins!
It being an easy swap and everything.

Mike has been out of town, and hasn't been working on it.
I made the mistake of telling him I dont need the coach until March break, and he is under the impression that he can just throw it in anytime, So he hasn't been working on it, and feels he has tons of time.

The EGR delete kit was also backorderd for a few weeks but just came in, he couldn't put the engine in until he got that, there is no space to get to the back of the engine once its in.

Anyway, I spoke to him tonight, and asked him to please get the engine done so we can move on the the other million things I need him to do while its sitting in his shop.
Cummins ISX-650HP