Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-19-2010

Default Coach batts being overcharged

I have read with interest some threads in this section. But could not relate to my issue.

I started up the coach last evening and noticed that my house voltmeter was pegged at maximum with the motor running.The chassis voltmeter appears normal.The ammeter is also pegged at 300 amps with the motor on..
This only occurs with the motor running and the auxillary start switch makes no difference when in any position.
Where is the auxillary solenoid?

Not ever having this issue , I was hoping someone could shed some light on this problem.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hulse View Post
I have read with interest some threads in this section. But could not relate to my issue.

I started up the coach last evening and noticed that my house voltmeter was pegged at maximum with the motor running.The chassis voltmeter appears normal.The ammeter is also pegged at 300 amps with the motor on..
This only occurs with the motor running and the auxillary start switch makes no difference when in any position.
Where is the auxillary solenoid?

Not ever having this issue , I was hoping someone could shed some light on this problem.
Thanks in advance.
Wow you lost your voltage reference at the alternator.... or regulator... It would peg the voltage to max and boil the batteries....flat... max the current

disconnect alt output and tape the wire, start motor and check everything.... It should run on batteries while you get the alternator sorted. Now check the voltage at the alt output be careful could be 50-100 volts or more..but it should be 14 or so, If you have a multi wire unit look for a terminal R and follow it to the battery or where ever it goes it might be loose. Single wire unit get a new regulator
Old 11-20-2010

Curious what you found?
Old 11-20-2010

Hi Christian
We have no resolution yet,we have eliminated a multitude of things and are down to a couple thoughts,so we are looking forward to letting all know how this turns out.One appears to be the charging solenoid and will be able to pick one up in Phoenix monday.
Thanks for asking,
Old 11-21-2010

Just an update on the charging issue
I have found the chassis batteries are not being charged by the alternator when the engine is running and the coach batteries are being overcharged excessively.
I am hoping the battery charging solenoid is the problem.I will get one Monday afternoon.
Old 11-25-2010

Hi Folks,
We have resolved our problem with coach overcharging the batteries.
The "auxillary battery solenoid" was the fault of the issue.This solenoid is located adjacent to the battery selector switch on the "firewall curb side" just above the battery bank.
The part I replaced was not identical in appearance to the original,but had the same purpose.A rather easy change for anyone to get done.
We used a universal continuous duty marine insulated base solenoid available at any parts store.The part number on the one I used was a Cole Hersee 24117 costing about $40.00. Also a number 24059 is the same solenoid without the plastic coating and much less money but still the same quality.
In order to use these solenoids,the small wire terminals need to be replaced to fit the larger diameter studs,
(10-32 instead of 8-32)
I am happy to get this issue done and will be able to get over to Southern California late next week.
Thank you all for the help and ideas you shared in order for me to eliminate many circumstances.
Old 11-25-2010

Great news and thanks for the update.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 11-25-2010
Forum Moderator

We knew you could do it Fred. Well done. Say hi to the ladies
Old 11-25-2010
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hulse View Post
Hi Folks,
We have resolved our problem with coach overcharging the batteries.
The "auxillary battery solenoid" was the fault of the issue.This solenoid is located adjacent to the battery selector switch on the "firewall curb side" just above the battery bank.
The part I replaced was not identical in appearance to the original,but had the same purpose.A rather easy change for anyone to get done.
We used a universal continuous duty marine insulated base solenoid available at any parts store.The part number on the one I used was a Cole Hersee 24117 costing about $40.00. Also a number 24059 is the same solenoid without the plastic coating and much less money but still the same quality.
In order to use these solenoids,the small wire terminals need to be replaced to fit the larger diameter studs,
(10-32 instead of 8-32)
I am happy to get this issue done and will be able to get over to Southern California late next week.
Thank you all for the help and ideas you shared in order for me to eliminate many circumstances.
Hi Fred,

Not to worry you but if the Aux Battery solenoid in a 97 is as heavy duty as the one in my 91 then the replacement you put in is way under rated.

My Aux Battery solenoid is an Eaton 6041H105 rated at 200 Amps Continuous duty. The Cole Hersee 24117 and 24059 are only rated at 85 Amps Continuous duty and the plastic coated Cole Hersee 24117-01 is only rated at 65 Amps Continuous duty.

Neither of the Cole Hersee solenoids you mentioned would be a viable replacement for my Aux Battery solenoid and my guess is that you may need a higher rated solenoid as well.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 11-25-2010

Cole Hersee continuous duty solenoid 24143 is rated at 200A. It is available from Ryder Fleet Products for less than $50. I think less than $40, actually. They shipped overnight to Southern California (san diego county).

Doug
Ex-PT36