Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 04-21-2011

Default TESTING for SCA's

I have attached a copy of the chart for my rad test strips. I have never been able to find strips that only test SCA's unless I buy a bottle of 50 or more!! They age quickly so I bought some from a KW dealer. They are 3 way Fleetguard. I know which colour to read on the strip but if the only thing I want to check is Nitrite do I just follow the last colour chart on the attaced image? What is the correct level of nitrites? I looked on the net and see all kinds of numbers. One AF mfr. states between 800 and 2300. Others are 1500 . I read mine as between 800 and 1800. 1200 would be about right. I know that too much is not good. But what would the upper limit be? Anyone with a PH.D

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 04-22-2011

Bump!

Old 04-22-2011

Bruce,

I use the same strips for my Ford. I've always figured about a 2800 it too high, but try to keep it lower than that. If you search, you should be able to find a 3 pack. I just went ahead and bought the 50 pack.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 04-23-2011

Did a search on antifreeze testing and found this...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...nt-amp-Testing
Interesting, but not sure how it applies to us...

Id like to send some of mine out for a test, like an oil analysis, anyone know a good place for that...

Thanks, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 04-23-2011
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I have attached a copy of the chart for my rad test strips. I have never been able to find strips that only test SCA's unless I buy a bottle of 50 or more!! They age quickly so I bought some from a KW dealer. They are 3 way Fleet Guard. I know which colour to read on the strip but if the only thing I want to check is Nitrite do I just follow the last colour chart on the attaced image? What is the correct level of nitrites? I looked on the net and see all kinds of numbers. One AF mfr. states between 800 and 2300. Others are 1500 . I read mine as between 800 and 1800. 1200 would be about right. I know that too much is not good. But what would the upper limit be? Anyone with a PH.D
I have been using these same test strips for a while. I get them in 3- packs at Fleet Pride. I had certified long experienced fleet mechanic check it for me the first time and he told me the target # on the Fleet Guard chart was 3.0 The shop had a supplemental chart to determine how many units I needed to ad to get there.

He also told me cavitation was far less of an issue with the CAT because this is not a sleeved engine and the walls were so thick. He said something like the walls would out live me before enough cavitation occurred if the SCAs were not used. Even so, I did add the stuff and do monitor it.

Anybody disagree with this?

http://www.dieselmanor.com/fleetguard/DCA60L.asp

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 04-23-2011

Now I am even more confused. The Cat document on cooling systems only refrers to Nitrites. It is my understanding ( that is another way of saying maybe I am wrong!) that in a Cat we are only concerned about nitrites not molybdate. If that is the case we should be reading the bottom of the chart which gives you readings in ppm (parts per million). I know that there are 2 way strips but very hard to find in smaller quantities. I buy the 3 way at a KW dealer in singles for under $2.00 ea. They age quickly. My question is what is the correct level of nitrites??

Old 08-23-2011

The test strips will come with their own color chart. Usually on the side of the package.
Manufactures make this stuff all different so the test strips from one will not fit the chart of another.

If you get your SCA'a in a screw on filter and change your antifreeze with a compatible type. You would most likely go with your type and brand without SCA's added to the Antifreeze. They come with or without. Too many SCA's or too little are real problems... Too much SCA or two different kinds can cause dropout which will clog things. The SCA's keep the cylinder liners from cavitation damage caused by the diesel's shock wave from the detonation of fuel. Too little and you will start eating tiny holes in your liners. Make sure to check compatibility of the SCA's and the required antifreeze. Mixing different antifreezes will cause rubber GEL to form in your radiator and motor and cause MAJOR headaches.

So if your just starting out Fresh

1.Drain flush and flush (or as recommended)
2. Use preferred chemical flushing using both Acid type, and Base type, (if desired or needed) follow directions and flush as recommended.
3. Change SCA Filter or fill with SCA type Anti-freeze premixed.
4. If SCA filter is used fill with appropriate Anti-freeze that does not have SCA's.
5. Test for leaks.
6. Test antifreeze with test strips for proper mix of PH, Nitrates, SCA's. Adjust as needed.

If you have a system that already has a good charge of antifreeze and wish to test/adjust the SCA content.

1. Test with test strips for PH, Nitrates, SCA's
2. If the SCA/etc level is too high drain some of the antifreeze and refill with like type that has no SCA's
3. If SCA's are too low Drain some antifreeze and refill with a like type antifreeze that has SCA's.
4. Test antifreeze with strips. Adjust as needed

If you have a rig that has a filtering system and wish to replace the filter with one that has SCA's but the antifreeze is still good.

1. Check the PH, Nitrates, SCA content of the antifreeze to see where it is at with test strips.
2. If the SCA's are low you are ok... Replace the filter with the SCA type.
3. If they are normal buy the same filter without SCA's they come both ways...
4. Bring antifreeze level up to normal.
5. Run engine to mix the filter SCA's If used.
6. Test SCA PH, Nitrates, level with strips. Adjust as needed...

I do not know the best way to adjust Nitrates or PH other than replacement of antifreeze.... Would someone make a suggestion?

Feel free to proof read and correct my mistakes here.
Add anything I have missed. As I did this from memory.
Just thought I would write this down for my own reference and thought someone might benefit from it so I typed it up. _________________