Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 12-16-2008
Grand Curmudgeon

Default Interior ceiling panels

I attempted to remove my front TV yesterday. It is mounted in a box secured in a cutout in the front overhead.

No problem removing the TV facia. No problem removing the screws holding the box. The problem is the box was installed and then the ceiling panels were installed. This creates the problem the the box framing cannot slide out as it hits the edge of the ceiling panels.

Not having removed the panels before, I am reluctant to just try to pull them down. My guess is they attach with some kind of clip that everyone but me knows about.

If you know how to get the panel removed, please share that information with me. Also, do they reattach and look as they did.

The other solution is to use a long screwdriver to bust the two brackets in the back of the TV that attaches it to the interior box..

TIA

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43
Old 12-16-2008
pgchd

Quote:
No problem removing the TV facia. No problem removing the screws holding the box. The problem is the box was installed and then the ceiling panels were installed. This creates the problem the the box framing cannot slide out as it hits the edge of the ceiling panels.

Not having removed the panels before, I am reluctant to just try to pull them down. My guess is they attach with some kind of clip that everyone but me knows about.

If you know how to get the panel removed, please share that information with me. Also, do they reattach and look as they did.

The other solution is to use a long screwdriver to bust the two brackets in the back of the TV that attaches it to the interior box..

Well,
Here we go again! No to "beasts alike", each one custom....not sure I can help but I describe what I know below: Happy holidays to you and your wife!

No problem removing the TV fascia.
- yes 4 long screws under those wooden "buttons"

No problem removing the screws holding the box.
- mine was not a box but a "3 sided "box, meaning no wood piece on top, just each side and a bottom secured with 2 screws on each side to the overhead console

The problem is the box was installed and then the ceiling panels were installed. This creates the problem the the box framing cannot slide out as it hits the edge of the ceiling panels.
- yes I can picture what you describe, actually right in front of the "overhead cutout" the actual ceiling panel is cut away slightly where the "front fascia" fits up tight to the actual wood ceiling

- they call them a "Christmas tree" plastic pin ( good timing dude)..David Brady and the guy who bought the 20xx lxi Randy brokered has a thread on here describing in detail those things, how to remove ceiling panels, etc. the cliff notes version is get a"flat pry bar" and very gently slide it in between the panel and ceiling a pry straight down.....I've done this and have been able to "save" the old pins, the other thread has the details about getting new pins and how to "notch the hole" to install a new pin without destroying the celing panel. The panel is about 1/8- inch plywod wrapped in material and foam.... be VERY CAREFUL doing this.... take your time

- see above

- If it were me, I'd choose this option, that TV is attached by 4 thin metal straps to the side of the box.....if you can reach them break them, take TV out, break box up inside hole....no ceiling ****. Those straps attach to the 4 screws that hold the back of the TV plastic case.....so no big deal if you dont want the tv ......... or break the box "top off if you have room and don't mess with the ceiling panels...... PIA-------big PIA good luck

PS that TV is very heavy so have a "second pair of hands" ready so when you take the TV down, they can remove the cable and other audio cables for the game controller, etc.......... I stood to the right of the chair took tv straight out and Donna stood to my right......the cables should be long enough to get it down to your chest....and hold it for a minute or 2......best I can muster being old and feeble!

Last edited by pgchd; 12-16-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling and color fix
Old 12-16-2008
davidmbrady

Hi Paul,

Here's the thread that Pete refers too:

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=1917

If you gain any insight, please let us know.

Best,
David Brady
'02 LXi, NC
Old 12-16-2008
Grand Curmudgeon

Thanks Pete & David.

Pete, you and I think alike. My first inclination is to just break the tiedown straps as I don't need the tv once removed. The rear TV is much easier to get out and I've done that before.

I think I'll not mess with the ceiling panels.

Paul LaZar
St. Augustine, FL
Former owner of Ziggy
97 wb43