Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 08-15-2018

Default Front roof unit overloading generator 94’ wide body

Was going down the road when I turned the front roof unit on and everything went off. Generator quit making power. Called power tech and they told me to replace voltage regulator and that fixed the problem. Generator is now making 100v on each leg.

NOW when I turn on the front roof unit it pegs out leg 2 on the gauge and throws some kind of breaker shutting everything off. Wait about 30 seconds and everything comes back on. Center and rear AC’s work fine according to gauge in the dash they show to pull about 20 amps.

Is the front unit locked up? Not sure what to check next.
Old 08-15-2018
Tom Blackwell

More than likely a bad run capacitor on the compressor. This will prevent the compressor from turning and it pulls locked rotor amps. Try that first...
Old 08-15-2018
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE198 View Post
Was going down the road when I turned the front roof unit on and everything went off. Generator quit making power. Called power tech and they told me to replace voltage regulator and that fixed the problem. Generator is now making 100v on each leg.

NOW when I turn on the front roof unit it pegs out leg 2 on the gauge and throws some kind of breaker shutting everything off. Wait about 30 seconds and everything comes back on. Center and rear AC’s work fine according to gauge in the dash they show to pull about 20 amps.

Is the front unit locked up? Not sure what to check next.
If you really only have 100 volts per leg, that’s too low - you need to adjust the voltage potentiometer on the new regulator to get 240 volts between leg one and leg two.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 08-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
If you really only have 100 volts per leg, that’s too low - you need to adjust the voltage potentiometer on the new regulator to get 240 volts between leg one and leg two.
That makes sense because the front unit works fine when it is hooked up to shore power. Is the potentiometer the tiny dials on the regulator?

It’s showing 198 volts at the hot side of the main generator breaker. That’s checking it with a multimeter not going off of the gauges in the dash. Do I just turn the dial until it reads 240 at the breaker?

Last edited by JAKE198; 08-15-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2018
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE198 View Post
That makes sense because the front unit works fine when it is hooked up to shore power. Is the potentiometer the tiny dials on the regulator?

It’s showing 198 volts at the hot side of the main generator breaker. That’s checking it with a multimeter not going off of the gauges in the dash. Do I just turn the dial until it reads 240 at the breaker?
I hesitate to give instructions for working on live generator circuits because generator voltage can kill.

Having said that, If you have the voltage regulator that I think you have, it should have 3 potentiometers on it labeled VOLT,STAB and U/F.

If you haven’t touched any of the adjustments, you may only need to adjust the Volt potentiometer a little clockwise to increase the voltage (leave the other two potentiometers at the factory setting).

If you can safely reach in and turn the voltage potentiometer while the generator is running, adjust the Voltage potentiometer clockwise until you have 240 volts ac on your digital volt meter across leg one and leg two of the generator’s main circuit breaker.

If you can’t safely get to the voltage adjust potentiometer while the generator is running, you may want to shut it down, make a slight clockwise adjustment of the Volt potentiometer and then restart the generator to see what voltage you have – repeat as necessary.

Be careful and don’t touch anything that will fry you.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 08-16-2018

f I was going to adjust the voltage on a live running generator, I would use a non-conductive tool.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 08-16-2018

i think the ac is getting ready to die, probably pulling max amps
Cape Cod,ma
Old 08-16-2018

Thanks everyone for the info. I think you all are right. I got the voltage adjusted and that definitely helped. Now with the ac's running they are pulling less amps and the front unit does come on but I think they all need to be replaced. they could very possibly be the original units.
Old 08-17-2018

jake you may be right but a capacitor for your a/c is not to expensive..... the first thing i do is check/clean condenser- a dirty condenser coil can cause high amp draw and either coil being dirty will cause lower performance...
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.