Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 11-17-2011

You can fix the outer copper coil, but because you end up moving some of the coil away from direct contact with the burner barrel you do lose some heating efficiency. You can actually knock the rivets out, remove the cover and do the repair without removing the unit from the bus- if the break is in the right position.

That all being said, Roger can get you a better deal AND you can do the swap yourself
if you're so inclined. When empty the unit weighs just under 200#, so one person can slide it around. Because of an issue with the cores Aquahot was getting back, they really want your unit before they send out a new/rebuilt one.

I swapped mine for a rebuilt unit earlier this year. I didn't want to change the plumbing, as that would affect usage of some of my storage areas. It's really pretty straight forward and Roger can send you all the fittings you need to do the job.

Pm me if you want a more detailed explanation or get on Roger's Aquahot forum.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 11-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepower View Post
I was recently informed of my Aqua hot being to damaged to fix and will need to be replaced. I have been quoted 9,900.00 on the cost of a new unit and an additional 700 in labor. Anyone out there with additional info on where to purchase an aqua hot unit for less?
Ouch!! What model did they quote $9900 for?
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 11-17-2011

What about replacing it with an OASIS system? I had a quote for 4,200.00 CDN out of Richmond, B.C. The whole system was around 6,500.00 for fans, switches, heat exchanger, plumbing, everything for a new install.
2006 Harley Street Bob
2006 Harley Electra Glide Classic Side Car
2006 Smart Car
2005 Rumble Bee
1965 Satellite
Old 11-17-2011

http://itrheat.com/products/oasis-heating-system/

Very interesting. I would consider these guys. Did not even know that they existed, but a quick search shows that other higher end DP are using them. Canadian company with an American outlet in Washington State.
96wb42
Mid Door

Last edited by susanmarycamilleri; 01-12-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: update link
Old 11-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
What about replacing it with an OASIS system? I had a quote for 4,200.00 CDN out of Richmond, B.C. The whole system was around 6,500.00 for fans, switches, heat exchanger, plumbing, everything for a new install.
OASIS is a devision of International Thermal Research (ITR). They also make the Hurricane system used in the M380's.
http://www.itrheat.com/Hurricane.html
Old 11-17-2011

Worst case scenario is a burst coil caused by failure to winterize properly. That said, I agree with others that, if it was assembled, it can be disassembled and repaired.
Old 11-17-2011

Or, if you don't want to open 'er up, I'll take the 'bad' unit off your hands...

But seriously, pop those rivets and let's see what's inside!!
Linden, Michigan
Old 11-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britton View Post
OASIS is a devision of International Thermal Research (ITR). They also make the Hurricane system used in the M380's.
http://www.itrheat.com/Hurricane.html
Other conversion options...by George Meyers.

http://www.busnut.com/seecshwhcc.html
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 11-17-2011

I have no experence with the internals of the Aqua hot, however, if I am reading correctly, the copper coil is just used to provide domestic hot water (no antifreeze is why it can freeze and leave the rest of the system OK). If that is correct, then why not just install a seperate domestic hot water heater (purchase price less than $400) and abandon the leaking copper coil. Would take up a little storage space, but would solve the problem for less than 10% of the cost of replacing an otherwise good Aqua Hot.
Old 11-17-2011
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
I have no experence with the internals of the Aqua hot, however, if I am reading correctly, the copper coil is just used to provide domestic hot water (no antifreeze is why it can freeze and leave the rest of the system OK). If that is correct, then why not just install a seperate domestic hot water heater (purchase price less than $400) and abandon the leaking copper coil. Would take up a little storage space, but would solve the problem for less than 10% of the cost of replacing an otherwise good Aqua Hot.
Funny that you should suggest this Jim. A couple of days ago Randy and I were talking about doing just this should we ever loose the hot water core. And he has replacement parts for Aqua Hot and would still do it this way.