Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 09-26-2012

After the last few days trying to help Chris figure out his shower valve problem, I was looking at the few pictures I took when I started working on mine 3 years ago. I realized looking at the pictures, the stop valves ahead of the shower valve in my 1980, are also check valves. Another example of Blue Bird evolution. Chris's `79 has check valves ahead of the shower valve
my `80 has combination check/stop valves. See pic below.
Guess the Short Bus isn't alone in being "...a little slow" .
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Valve 04.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	18490  

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 08-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTW1086@cox.net View Post
Chris,
So glad to hear that it is working and glad to have been a help in the process.
Between the 2 of us we've got a good set of pics of this style valve now.

Dave S & John Mc, I think there was a model change in the valve between the 79-80 and later models. What Chris is holding in his hand is the plug that goes in where the spool is on this model, attached is a pic of the spool itself as I pulled it out of my valve.
I know this is an old thread but I just went through some of the same issues, no hot water in the shower, posted previously and wanted to correct what Chris posted above. I had the same looking part in my Balancing Spool side and thought the same as Chris did, but what in fact he showed in his picture is the Balancing Spool in pieces, there was never any change in the spool. If he were to look in the valve he would see the outer part of the spool in the valve. I used a pick to remove it. I was going to take a picture of it but when I went to my plumbing supply the counter guy just gave me a new spool and kept my old one, Moen warranty will cover the new one. Moen Balancing Spool 1423. I also replace the mixing valve, Moen 1225 or 1200.
Having replaced the parts my next are to look was the check valves, and having to remove the stove. The previous owner or owners had taken a hole saw bit and went on a fishing expedition at one time, I'm assuming looking for the Balancing Spool, leaving behind 3 holes in the fibreglass, 2 to the left of the valve and one at the Spool. I could see the check valve thru the front where the holes were and having made a cover for the valve, there was none when I got the bird just a lot of silicone over the holes. So I decide rather than move the stove I made a large enough hole in the shower to fit a ratchet and my hand enough to remove the check valve. I had to make a slightly larger cover and used the same material as before. I purchased a small cutting board from Walmart and trimmed it to fit, drilled a hole for the control, epoxied it to the shower and siliconed the edges. Cost about $8. Easy enough to remove. Funny when I was working on the shower the bath fan switch must have stuck on or shorted, cooked the fan motor so replace that too. Had to use the old trim plate as the one. That came with was not deep enough to hide all of the opening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	30561  
Old 08-03-2014

Again for some reason the forum won't allow me to do multiple pictures from my iPad, here's the others, sorry for multiple replies.

Here's the check valve ( hot side ) though the front of the shower
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	186
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	30562  
Old 08-03-2014

Cover made from cutting board.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	170
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	30563  
Old 08-03-2014

New fan assembly, old trim ring.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	156
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	30564  
Old 08-04-2014
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horacio View Post
Again for some reason the forum won't allow me to do multiple pictures from my iPad, here's the others, sorry for multiple replies.

Here's the check valve ( hot side ) though the front of the shower
The pictures that you uploaded are kind of on the large size at 2047x1535 and 1335x1001 pixels, you may try either shooting them in a smaller size or using software to downsize them and then see if you can upload more in one post.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-04-2014

Yeah john I don't know why they are like that. This happened once before if I load directly from iPhone/iPad they are too large but if I save them to the laptop they aren't, and I'm not changing anything. Laptop bit the big one last week so I couldn't upload from there. Sorry