Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 08-01-2018

I guess they fell off the end of the globe! Dennis and Jeanette are world travelers, who knows where they landed.. Last I heard, their coach was setup on a nice lot in SoCal overlooking the mountains. We worked on their Suburban heaters at Q a few years ago.

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 08-01-2018
AKA Tent Boy

From what i've heard from him, he asked if I would be willing to give up my bus name, I told him, no...
I think he said was headed to Costa Rica to live there in the bus!!!

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 08-01-2018

I just hope their water heater works, but it was interesting to see what they were doing. Their blog was one of the first times I ever saw a Wanderlodge in action once I was enlightened.
Old 08-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Are you still happy with your RV-550?
So, I bought the same HWH based on their install and some other review I read on here. Same bottom exhaust. Mounted it in a bay which sits under the kitchen. That means I have extremely short runs to water outlets from the unit itself. Optimum conditions.

If I started over today I would NEVER buy it. NEVER. Out of every upgrade this is the only regret. It's been a mess since day one. My unit was purchased direct. Installed with 1/2" pex in a complete PEX plumbing install. We don't run off supplied water pressure from our hookups. It's all water from the tank pushed with our pump so there is no variability in pressure or flow there. We use the standard Wanderlodge Moen Diverter/mixing valve. Some mixing valves aren't on demand friendly. No problem with the OEM moen.

Does it make hot water? Yes. Without a doubt. Sometimes scalding.

The problem is adjusting it as it's more a balancing of components then turning a knob.

To dial this unit in I have had to buy a mess of parts. I have two oxygenic shower heads one at 2 gpm and one at 1.75 gpm. The various spray patterns have different flow rates. I have 3 aquatec water pumps--a 3gpm fixed, a 5 gpm fixed and a 2-5gpm variable. It's dumb the stuff I have had to buy to get the temperature range I need at the shower head for both my girlfriend to scald herself (she prefers 120-115) and me to take something warmish (I prefer 105-111).

First, the units are rated at a 50-60 degree increase in water temperature at 1.5 gallons per min (gpm). That means if you water tank temperature is 50 degrees the max hot temperature is 100. If the temperature is 70 degrees it will now produce 120 degrees. My particular unit puts out close to 55 degrees so 105 in the winter and 125 in the summer. If you flow more than 1.5 gpm then the water is colder. Flow slower and the water is hotter. Unless you don't flow enough to trip the sail switch causing the unit to turn off or not turn on. Yes, adjusting the hot water flow too low causes the unit to turn off. Now it's going to run pure cold. You can't go back and make it more hot because it has some sort of safety cut off about it cutting on and off again fairly fast. You have to turn the whole flow off. Turn the temp up. Turn the flow back on, wait for it to come up to temp (few seconds) then start adjusting it back down.

Some on-demand water heaters you can just dial in the temp you want it to make. They then adjust the burn rate of the propane burner, but this unit is all or nothing. Id suggest one of those instead. Or maybe a webasto unit. That's what I should have done.

Does it work now? Yes, after a year or straight tinkering with it and countless calls to tech support. But I now have two used water pumps and a used shower head to get rid of. And my bathroom sink is too low flow to get it to work on any setting so we just have hot water at the kitchen sink and bathtub. So I will likely need to start swappin that faucet out here once I've sold off that other junk.

Bonus: my unit had issues straight from the factory where the wiring grounded out due to a short when they assembled it. So my wiring harness burnt up. I had to rebuild it. And I'm not even holding that against them.
Old 08-02-2018

Oy, sounds like a real PITA! Thanks for posting that!
Old 08-02-2018
Administrator

Aaron thanks for the write-up
Old 08-02-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I still think the best hot water heater for our coaches are the standard RV water heaters used in all RV's on the road except Wanderlodges. I replaced my Raritan 120v hot water heater with a Surburban SW6DE 6gal LP/Elect water heater 4 years ago and couldn't be happier. You can also get this model with LP/Elect/Chassis heat as well if you like that option.

The recovery rate of LP is superior to our Raritans, I can have hot water with or without the generator or being plugged in so really aids in boon docking. I can take advantage of 120v when plugged in. They also make a 10 gal model but I've never run out of hot water with the 6 gal.

Since it mounts from the outside it can be serviced or replaced at anytime without taking the bedroom apart. I purchased mine for about $350. When hot water is needed I simply turn on a switch and 15min later I'm in the shower. The only time a tankless hot water heater would be useful is when you are plugged in with unlimited water & drain. In my world that is not too often.

So whether you make holes in the bottom of your bus or the side it's still a hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Look2-sm.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	56708  
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 08-02-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Default Contacted Jeanette n' Dennis

BTW, I dropped Jeanette & Dennis an email asking how they are doing. Here's the reply;

Hi Mike!

Yes, all is ok. We just took a huge backseat to driving the bus. Honestly, we were a bit overwhelmed with the work. We put so much into her and she is so beautiful but too much of a bear to drive. It’s now a “tiny house” in San Diego where we visit and stay often.

We travel still, just via airplane these days.

How are you? How is the ‘bird crew doing?

Thanks for saying hello, it warmed our hearts today.

Cheers!

Jeanette n' Dennis
CheddarYeti.com
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509