Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 03-17-2008
Early Member

Default Hello forum! I’m new to the forum, to BB’s, and to coach life.

Hello forum! I’m new to the forum, to BB’s, and to coach life. We just bought a beautiful ’90 SP, and are planning to do a few two-week trips this year and next, and then much longer ones after that. I’ve been reading everything on this forum for about a month, and I understand there is another one or two, but I don’t know how to find them. I started with just the SP section, but now I scan thru all topics, and believe I can learn/share more that way. It seems many of the concepts and components are similar. We purchased from BuyByeBluebird, and are very pleased and happy to say that the sale was handled very professionally. We picked up our rig in FL and drove it straight home to PHX, but other than that, have not used it yet. Gosh, I have so many questions, I think I’ll just ask one per week, to not wear out my welcome. ‘Just wondrin?: How do you find and seal roof leaks in these things? (especially with the channeled aluminum roof decking) I seem to have a leak during hard rains, that dumps water into the right front bay, and drips very slightly onto the right dash board (and right onto our laptop! Luckily, it wasn’t hurt!). ‘The adventure begins!

Thanks!

Fred & Wendy Bellows
Queen Creek, AZ
’90 36SP
Old 03-17-2008
Former Bird Owner

The channel aluminum is not the "real" roof, but decking on top of the roof. (Look closely at the rear edge as you climb the ladder.)

Some have removed all the screws and inserted new, slightly larger, stainless steel screws with butyl caulk. (This apparently was done on my coach by a previous owner.) There may be a procedure in the files section on the WLF yahoo web site.

Camping World has a 'system' offered at select service centers where they pressurize the interior of a coach, then go over the roof and exterior with a sprayer filled with soapy water and look for bubbles. This seems like an ideal way to find leaks. Seems like one of those fans used to inflate huge display balloons might be adapted to the task with some cardboard, an open window, and plenty of duct tape.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-17-2008
Former Bird Owner

Oops... also, for the compartment, check the weather stripping on the door (the water may not be from the roof leak). I had a considerable leak into one of my compartments and I found the rubber weather stripping had failed. Some self-sticking rubber stuff from the home center made an effective replacement. I did all the doors, since it seemed likely that if one 'went' the others would soon follow.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-17-2008
Administrator

Welcome , Fred & Wendy,

Things have been slow on the Forum, we need somemore questions,
That is how we all learn more about Birds.

Our resident poster and moderator Rob, is the butyl & screw sizing expert.
He will probably answer.
The bays could be leaking elsewhere, as suggested. Check the around the door gaskets, and at the bottom track there is caulk at each corner, the caulk may look good but probe with a screw driver. Water sometimes runs in this track and seeps under the corner caulk and into the bay.
On our 88 FC , the bay door hinges are strips of rubber, These were all cracked and had to be replaced, Again rain water runs behind these hinges.
Some of the roof air conditioner have drain tubes, if these tubes are blocked this water can enter the roof.
I do not know if your SP has drain tubes or rubber hinge bay doors.
Old 03-17-2008

Default Roof leaks

A place to look is in the roof penetrations were the speaker wires are. I had one there. It is the only one that I have found in my five years of owning mine. I think you will like your SP we do.
Old 03-17-2008
Gardner

Fred,
On my 1978 FC I climbed up on the roof with my high powered 18 volt impact screw gun and removed each and every screw, one at a time, and put sealer in the hole and replaced the screw. I also did that with the larger goat rail screws. Some of the goat rail mounting holes were enlarged due to rust, so I used larger bolts where needed. Then insured the gaskets on the other items that are mounted on the roof, like horns, etc. were sealed as well. All my little leaks were cured, and I got to really inspect everything up there as well. I noticed that there was something pushing up the bottom of the storage pod and it had cracked the fiberglass. It had a yellow center and looked like some kind of vent or something. I unbolted the pod it and found a 10 foot Stanley Powerlock measuring tape. I suspect the original pod mounter is still wondering where that tape measure went.

You may as well do all the screws and bolts since you don't find out they are leaking until something else gets damaged, like the headliner or in your case, the laptop.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 03-17-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2008
Forum owner

welcome to the site Fred!
Fred is in the car stereo business,so if any of you need new stereo (do they still call them stereos?) give him a call!
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-18-2008
hturner 12

Fred

Welcome ask your questions set your email on digest, the other forum is on yahoo search for wanderlodge
Old 03-19-2008
TZS

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum!! It is hoped you and yours have many safe and wonderful travels in your '90 SP.
Old 03-19-2008

Fred,

I will be interested in hearing how you make out with the roof leak. We have leaks in ours that keep staining the walls. We are gaining a lot of experience in maintaining the SP. Since you are familiar with car sound systems, here's a question you might be able to help with. When the ignition is on we get tremendous static on the AM radios. FM works fine as do tape and CD but AM is unuseable due to static.

It might have been unique to our SP but since you got yours in FL, as we did, one thing I would do is make sure the contacts on hte 50a AC breaker (on front side of bay right behind the left front wheel) are clean. Ours failed, probably due to heat from resistance in corroded contacts.